PDA

View Full Version : The Moment Of Truth

JMiller08
04-02-2010, 07:20 PM
My newspaper ad comes out tommarow. Timing couldnt get any better yesterday was 75* and today was 80*. Lets hope the calls come rolling in! Most areas here are still very wet so not mowing for another couple weeks i would say. Had a call from a fall cleanup customer last year wanting to get fert/pest apps, going to have to sub that out for now until i get my license in a month or two. Well i wish you guys the best of luck. I will try to keep this thread updated daily to see what the results are. This is the only advertising i have going this year so its make it or break it for me!

lawnkingforever
04-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Good luck on your ad. If this is the only advertising you have going, I would rethink this strategy if you do not get your desired results from the newspaper ad. I have talked to other LCOs in my area and it has been very slow as far as getting new customers this year. This year many people are going to be doing their own mowing. Guys that already have established customer bases will whether this storm. LCOs on tight budgets and needing to gain more accounts to make the numbers work may not make it through the year without a nice bankroll backing them up.
My buddy who has 5 employees and 2 crews spent alot of cash on advertising this spring and has not seen the results as in past years. In fact by this time, he is usually throwing some smaller yards my way because he has a full route. If it was not for installs he would no way make it through the year without cutting an employee or 2.

topsites
04-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Piece of unsolicited advice...

If it doesn't rain and the temps stay up in the 80's it shouldn't take more than 3-4
days at the absolute most to dry things out, really 1-2 days before you can start
on your yards that are not prone to flooding.

Either way if you decide, I would at least drive around Monday to more than a few
of those accounts and if nothing else get out of the car and take a good look!

Reason I say it, don't let that crap catch you by surprise, also of late there's been
a company driving house to house and offering "free" grass cuts.
They might not take your account away but they will cut the dang grass and you're still out that cut.
Happened to me twice this last week (well one wasn't a mow).

Anyhow, and that company may not exist near you but I'd stay on top of it, don't let it slip out of hand.

JMiller08
04-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Well were supposed to be in the 40's and 50's this next week with rain off and on alsmost every day. Things are starting to pop now but nothing in the grass quite yet. As far as the ad goes i dont know we will see. Its $65 a week running all through april, comes out every saturday in april. Ran an ad in there last august, got a fall cleanup and a biweekly lawn out of it so it payed for itself easily. Trying to get m name out there and branded. My budget is tight and i dont want to grow too fast. Im hoping to pick up about 20 new lawns from the ad but that may be a long shot but we will see.

ALC-GregH
04-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Getting 20 is on the high side IMHO. If you do get that many, chances are you might only WANT 5 because the others you may not have the capability to get them done in a reasonable time, or they might be very difficult properties with very steep hills or for whatever reason, you just can't do/don't want them. Good luck with your ad.

JMiller08
04-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Update...The ad came out this morning. No calls yet hopefully due to it being saturday hopefully monday the phone will start ringing. Also the client that i got the fall cleanup last year from this ad called me yesterday wanting info on apps which i reffered her to a local company who does one of my other clients lawns, they are a fert and squirt only company. She said she'd be calling me with anything else that they she needs done this year. This to me obviously shows that they liked my work enough to become a repeat customer. Well i will update more through out the course of this ad to see what it really gets me. Thanks for reading guys!

Mahoney3223
04-03-2010, 10:11 PM
i wouldn't get your hopes up that your going to get 5-10 customers for weekly maintenance/mulch off a newspaper ad. I am in 4 papers and have only ever had modest success...maybe 3-5 new customers a year total...there is just too many rum dums mowing lawns for 20.00 in the paper to really set yourself apart.

JMiller08
04-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Well i am the only landscape company in this paper for right now. Reaches 22k homes.

Bryan B
04-03-2010, 10:32 PM
in my area lawn service is a dime a dozen tons of adds of craigslist and in the paper the best way i have found to pick up customers is flyers and just being a friendly ppl person. get some magnets for your truck. i've picked up 2 customers this week just by having a random few words at the gas pump and in wall-mart.

JMiller08
04-03-2010, 11:03 PM
By the way Mahoney, where are you located at?

JMiller08
04-03-2010, 11:04 PM
in my area lawn service is a dime a dozen tons of adds of craigslist and in the paper the best way i have found to pick up customers is flyers and just being a friendly ppl person. get some magnets for your truck. i've picked up 2 customers this week just by having a random few words at the gas pump and in wall-mart.

I do belive just being a friendly person is very key. My insurance agent stopped by a couple weeks ago, we got to chatting about business and he mentioned he needed a lawn renovation done on his backyard. Business is all about networking.

Mahoney3223
04-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Well i am the only landscape company in this paper for right now. Reaches 22k homes.

I am in papers that's circulation reaches 200,000 homes and you know how many calls I've had in 4 days?? 1 call for an install....the market is down this year with the vast # of rum dums...i'm just trying to help you out and make you realize it takes time. I see you were established last year, it's going to take you 5-6 years to build up to where your comfortable...then it only takes 1 bad year...and your gone....and i am not located near you, lil further south.

JMiller08
04-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the advice mahoney. I'm taking it slow right now just trying to get things going all the right way,and build up quality clients.
Posted via Mobile Device

JMiller08
04-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Well as monday comes to a close i recieved zero calls. I hope it picks up within the next week or so, homeowners are already out cutting in the swamps they call yards!

JMiller08
04-07-2010, 10:08 PM
So far no calls. Not surprising. Im kinda ticked because the woman requested my ad to be in the first 5 pages, its on page 26. So im kinda pi**ed about that needless to say. Owell its still running the next 3 weeks so we will see!

lawns Etc
04-07-2010, 11:35 PM
You need to call and explain that you were told X page are is where you want it and thats where it needs to be so I would expect a credit for those dates. I run a 2*5 inch every 3rd day and I specified top right area of page 2 thats what I want and mine has went very well. Not 20 jobs but in about 3 weeks I have had about 20 calls but landed 5 full service accounts and a couple of cleanups.

JMiller08
04-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Well its been a few days since i chimmed in. No calls yet. My ad came out again today, now on th tenth page. Better than page 26, and its much easier identified this time. Hopefully i have better luck this week.

JMiller08
04-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Well week two and ive just recieved my first call. I have to go give an estimate for a cleanup, partial lawn renovation, new mulch, and whatever else the woman will come up with when im on the site tommarow. Should be a nice size job hopefully ill land it.