PDA

View Full Version : What's this trailer hitch worth?

Marinucci_Landscaping
04-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Hey all,

So long story short, I got the hitch jammed and couldn't remove the Reese mount from the hitch last year. We had to have the whole hitch removed and replaced on the truck. I'm looking to sell it, probably on Craigslist when it's all said and done. What do you folks think this thing is worth? I haven't a faintest clue, considering its limited usefulness. It's all in one piece, it's just got a mount jammed in. Thanks for the input.

- Marinucci

FYS777
04-02-2010, 10:14 PM
you can't get the hitch out???

Petr51488
04-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Its funny because i have the same problem today. I wanted to take the same style hitch out my my receiver for a new one but it was stuck. I'm going to head over to my dads shop and heat it up with a torch and it should loosen.

FYS777
04-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Its funny because i have the same problem today. I wanted to take the same style hitch out my my receiver for a new one but it was stuck. I'm going to head over to my dads shop and heat it up with a torch and it should loosen.

if you can, and have the space, stick a steal rod in the back and use a sludge hammer and nock it out, don't be afraid to use a big hammer!!!

CLARK LAWN
04-02-2010, 11:51 PM
i have one that is stuck, i have had it red hot and beat the hell out of it with no luck. what i ended up doing was taking a sawzall and cut the ball mount in half the cut the corners out then used a chisel to drive the pieces apart.

ajslands
04-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Hook a chain up to it or a strap and get another truck or a bulldozer should do the trick. And pull ab be carefull not to get it to taught cuz if it suddenly comes lose it could easily take your head off, which would not be good, or you could try fluid film. Actualy shorter te chain or strap, the less deadly it would be, so use like a 1' or 2' strap and go!
Posted via Mobile Device

thesnowman269
04-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Hook a chain up to it or a strap and get another truck or a bulldozer should do the trick. And pull ab be carefull not to get it to taught cuz if it suddenly comes lose it could easily take your head off, which would not be good, or you could try fluid film. Actualy shorter te chain or strap, the less deadly it would be, so use like a 1' or 2' strap and go!
Posted via Mobile Device

He should use a peice of steal like they use for a truck tug-o-war.. just a safer thought...

topsites
04-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Gosh I guess 50 bucks, just to get rid of it.

FYS777
04-03-2010, 12:51 AM
depends on what it fits on to i guess, but ya 50

Marinucci_Landscaping
04-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Damn I got some serious responses fast. You guys are great!

Ya I can't but enough emphasis on how stuck it is in there. We tried to pull it apart with a truck, broke the lock holding the chain. Tried again with a different, bigger lock, broke the chain. We tried hammering it out, all it did was warp the ball.... it's stuck for good. I was hoping to try for say $100ish, but it sounds like $50.00 is the best I can do. I guess that's the price to pay for being ignorant. Sigh.

- Marinucci

ajslands
04-03-2010, 01:35 AM
Fill it with cement and scrap it
Posted via Mobile Device

FYS777
04-03-2010, 01:49 AM
Damn I got some serious responses fast. You guys are great!

Ya I can't but enough emphasis on how stuck it is in there. We tried to pull it apart with a truck, broke the lock holding the chain. Tried again with a different, bigger lock, broke the chain. We tried hammering it out, all it did was warp the ball.... it's stuck for good. I was hoping to try for say $100ish, but it sounds like $50.00 is the best I can do. I guess that's the price to pay for being ignorant. Sigh.

- Marinucci

what ever you do, next time put some anti-cease lube, (spelling)on it that will keep it from rusting together!!

JB1
04-03-2010, 01:50 AM
maybe 20 bucks.

unkownfl
04-03-2010, 05:45 AM
I would have just cut it off and welded a new receiver onto it for like 20 bucks. Kind of a cheap hitch if you ask me.

PonyExpress94
04-03-2010, 11:44 AM
what ever you do, next time put some anti-cease lube, (spelling)on it that will keep it from rusting together!!

Bettery yet, just take the hitch out of the reciever when you aren't towing anything, that way dirt and corrosion don't build up over time and you don't have to remember to reapply anti-sieze to keep it clear.

The value of that hitch is whatever you get for it at the scrap yard. Save yourself the time of trying to sell it and just scrap it. If you took it off your truck because it was a problem I really can't see anyone else wanting to put in on their truck.

FYS777
04-03-2010, 11:58 AM
10-4 slap myself in the forehead, why didn't i think of that, ya take it out once in a while, ...i think your on to something about scrap yard material. :)

Marinucci_Landscaping
04-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. Thanks all.

- Marinucci

Petr51488
04-04-2010, 01:17 AM
yea i just tied a strap from the hitch on the truck to another truck.. put it in drive.. waited in the truck while its in drive (didnt gas it) and had someone hit the hitch with a sledge hammer side to side until it came out. Make sure you set the e-brake on the other truck so u dont ruin the tranny and also spray in some wd40 or fluid film... thats for those who want to get it out and not sell it lol

ajslands
04-04-2010, 01:22 AM
It'll ruin the brake tho, or it could end up pulling it
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
04-04-2010, 02:18 AM
Never mind, I made a mistake, please disregard this entry.