PDA

View Full Version : cutting bermuda vs cutting fescue

stephen424
04-02-2010, 09:37 PM
I have 43 residentials, all fescue (well, 42 fescue...1 all weeds).
Just picked up a new account today with bermuda grass. It hasn't come out of dormancy yet so I have time to learn learn learn.
Is there a difference between cutting fescue and cutting bermuda?
I have a 48" Z.
Should I clean my mower before and after cutting the bermuda lawn?
Any input is appreciated
Posted via Mobile Device

Robert Pruitt
04-02-2010, 10:24 PM
may you suggest round-up?

Merkava_4
04-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Is there a difference between cutting fescue and cutting bermuda?

Bermuda is a real stiff grass; it doesn't bend over the blade like rye and fescue does.

Bermuda is cut best when put between a bedknife and a reel blade.

Merkava_4
04-02-2010, 11:03 PM
I notice a lot of guys on here will advocate killing the Bermuda off with Round-up because (I assume) they don't have the right mower. I also suspect those same guys have never seen a well kept Bermuda lawn.

topsites
04-02-2010, 11:05 PM
I know it sounds crazy but I cut it like every other grass, with my lawn mower.

Merkava_4
04-02-2010, 11:14 PM
The neighborhood I grew up in was originally planted with Bermuda by the building contractor back in 1963 or there abouts. You could easily tell which lawn was cut by a reel mower and which lawn was cut with a rotary.

rjh4758
04-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Cut it short, a lot shorter than your fescue lawns. It should be cut as short as possible at the start of the season to get rid of the dead grass from last season then keep it at 1-1.5 inches in height.

Robert Pruitt
04-03-2010, 12:02 AM
it's just ALMOST everyone around here wants it gone. except on the golf course.

stephen424
04-03-2010, 01:31 AM
any helpful input?
so just cut it low...1.5 inches

Hawg City Lawns
04-03-2010, 02:08 AM
I notice a lot of guys on here will advocate killing the Bermuda off with Round-up because (I assume) they don't have the right mower. I also suspect those same guys have never seen a well kept Bermuda lawn.

well youre wrong people have been discussing spraying round up on dormant bermuda lawns to kill weeds not to kill the grass a true bermuda yard is a delicacy around here most people have spots of bermuda in their yard and want it to spread or just want rid of it because it creeps into their gardens

Merkava_4
04-03-2010, 03:23 AM
any helpful input?
so just cut it low...1.5 inches

1.5 inches is too tall ... 1/2 to 3/4 inches is where you cut bermuda at.

And you can't do that with a rotary blade.

BCR840
04-23-2010, 02:14 PM
I live in GA.... We have entire neighborhoods in Bermuda. The fescue is hard to keep going in the summer. If you can't economically maintain Bermuda with a reel mower it's okay. Most of the LCO's are using rotary unless a customer pays extra for the reel service. We typically scalp the Bermuda down as low as possible in the early spring to get rid of the dormant grass. Then we maintain a 1.5" to 2.5" during the growing season. If by chance we run into a drought I will let it stay between 2.5" and 3" depending on the customer. The problem is I have customers that use the irrigation system everyday for short periods of time instead of twice a week for a LONG period of time which causes shallow root system. If you cut down to 1" on those yards it will brown out during periods of drought. You also have to be careful of uneven areas scalping real bad. Also to keep it green make sure to cut it more often... maybe 1x per week, or every 10 days, every 14 days will not be good. Hope that helps.