PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Back pack of round up

jameszell24
04-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Im am about to start spot sparying some yards and need to get all round up out of it so it want kill grass.Any tips or tricks will be helpful.

SeedPro
04-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Rinse it out with water, spray water through the wand and go.

Even if you had an ounce or two of straight roundup in a 4 gallon BP youd never see any damage. At those rates it's nothing more than a PGR.

thelawnkid
04-03-2010, 04:00 AM
x2 honestly you could just empty it and put what evedr you are using in there and just spray some out in a bucket to purge the gly. mix out of the wand and you would be good. I spray gly out of my skid sprayer multiple times a year. I used to wash it out but now I just make sure it is empty and load up just like normal. I just make sure to take my spray gun and spray into the tank for a couple mins. Never had a problem at all. I do the same thing with back pack sprayers except I just spray onto some gravel or something to get what was in the wand out

Mowerman2112
04-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Recommended cleaning agent for Roundup is water, should have no problems.

jvanvliet
04-09-2010, 08:34 PM
FL says you got to rinse it 3X with clear water... fill the tank 1/2 way one more time and pump it up to clear the hose, gun & nozzle. Roundup is a salt a corrosive... good sprayers are expensive.

jvanvliet
04-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Also you can't leave rounup in the tank for long periods of time, it looses it's efficacy and will rust/rot your sprayer fittings

RigglePLC
04-10-2010, 12:14 AM
James, I wouldn't do it.
There is a long sad story on here from last year when Whitey, used his backpack with Roundup. Somehow he killed the whole lawn, 3000 sqft. He spent two days stripping the old sod out and resodding the lawn. It was hot that week.
Keep in mind that in backpack sprayers there is a hidden pressure reserve chamber which contains mostly air, but it can fill with the spray solution. Turning the sprayer upside down does not empty the chamber. Use a second sprayer for grass. And a third for shrubs. At a minmum--clean it out--then test it on some of your own flowers.

kirk1701
04-10-2010, 08:55 AM
I used my backpack sprayer for the last week with round-up (Only 2 Gallon mixture) and when finished I put one half gallon of water in it and used that as if it was round-up. 2nd, I filled it with 2 gallon and sprayed the whole 2 gallon through the wand. 3rd, Another 2 gallon and added a scoop of liquid tide washing detergent and sprayed that through the sprayer.

Call me being safe and thorough :laugh:

Now do have a question here.
It's a Solo 4 Gallon backpack sprayer and the wand wants to leak, whats wrong?

betmr
04-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Triple rinse.

CLS LLC
04-10-2010, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't do it. I rinsed mine thoroughly and still killed some of a customers lawn. Luckily they didn't have too many weeds so it wasn't too bad. But I still had to reseed quite a bit.

That being said. I run 2 back packs now. They aren't that expensive and they are much cheaper than having to reseed anything. Just go pick up another solo and call it a day.

bx24
04-10-2010, 05:45 PM
I would do 2X or more rinses with water and go...but I still love to know what everyone does with the old water.....No one every talks about that..

betmr
04-10-2010, 07:04 PM
I would do 2X or more rinses with water and go...but I still love to know what everyone does with the old water.....No one every talks about that..

What I do with the "Rinse-ate" : I either put it in a 55 Gal. Plastic barrel I have for it, and use it for my water, next time I mix, Or spray it on target area. If it kills some weeds OK, if it don't, nothing lost. No Rinse-ate down the drain, or storm drain, but spray on target areas is OK.

Greenery
04-10-2010, 07:07 PM

The rinsate issue was brought up recently and a bunch of people bot all bent out of shape about it. Which tells me that there are alot of guys here not dealing with it properly. And yes it is a big issue big fines involved and just think about down the road when storm drains are testedand the dept of ag is finding high levels of pesticides in them. What do you think is going to happen? Well I can tell you there will be higher levels of controls on them, harder to obtain a license to use them and possibly a complete ban. All because of the irrisponsible people who don't deal with there products in a responsible and professionl manner.
Posted via Mobile Device

betmr
04-10-2010, 09:23 PM
At the University I work, every storm drain is GPS located and clearly marked, with a fish emblem, I think Jersey is doing that all over.

bx24
04-10-2010, 09:26 PM
What I do with the "Rinse-ate" : I either put it in a 55 Gal. Plastic barrel I have for it, and use it for my water, next time I mix, Or spray it on target area. If it kills some weeds OK, if it don't, nothing lost. No Rinse-ate down the drain, or storm drain, but spray on target areas is OK.

Good idea on that......Just wondered since it can go anyware here.

betmr
04-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Good idea on that......Just wondered since it can go anyware here.

I don't know where you are in the North East, but that is where I am, and I don't think it can go anywhere, as you said. Essentially it is handled as Hazardous Waste. I either have to store it for reuse, as diluent (The Water) Spray it on Target area, or turn it over to Hazmat for disposal. I choose to save it for Diluent or spray on target.

greendoctor
04-11-2010, 03:46 AM
Hawaii requires that rinse water from equipment be sprayed out onto a labeled site. Storage of water is highly discouraged. Personally, I would rather not deal with a mystery cocktail of everything I use. Many turf species here are sensitive. What is ok for one type of grass will fry other types of grasses. If I were to do that, I would need around 12 separate catch tanks to account for that different grasses, ground covers and ornamentals I treat. No thanks, I feel this is one of the things Hawaii got right. Spray out equipment on site of use.