PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Tiger cat SS

hunterdusty
04-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Demo gone bad! I tested the scag Tiger cat ss 61' cut 27hp with only 2 hours on it today. It mowed really good for about an acre and then the spindle bearing locked up. Im interested if any one else had trouble with this new promotinal model.

ALC-GregH
04-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Can't say I have. I own a Tiger Cub and haven't had any problems. Basically the exact same front end and caster assembly as the Tiger Cat. Some times things can't be detected when assembly takes place but show their colors when actual use starts taking place. I wouldn't let the problem steer you away. Scag makes a very good mower.

Lawn Pawn
04-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Always a chance for a freak failure ....

That would leave a bad taste in my mouth as well.

They seem to be a most substantial spindle, LOTS better than most, just got a bad one.

MOHUSTLER
04-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Yes been a scag dealer for 3 years now and have never had that happen. Have had it on other mowes though. Its just a freak thing that happens. Dont let that deture you on the mower. Might not happen again for 1,000 hours.

Cooter
04-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Let's hear how you felt about the rest of the demo. Are you going to demo the SS again?
Posted via Mobile Device

hunterdusty
04-03-2010, 01:25 PM
The rest of demo went alright I would say. The cut looked good nice and even and the grass was tall and thick, but it is hard to judge the mower when had 5 acres to mow and only mowed maybe 1 before the blades locked up.

djagusch
04-03-2010, 02:37 PM
That spindle has been used from 1995 without many issues. My bet is that somehow it never got greased or there was something wrong when it was built.

retrodog
04-20-2010, 12:18 PM
I have had brand new engines cease up during the first mow also, its no biggie, those things happen...., most equipment dealers say if you get past the first 10 hours without something going wrong, you will prolly be alright.. The only thing I can't believe is that they make a commercial duty mower without putting any kinda cooling system for the hydros, that just blows my mind. I have a customer wanting to trade in 2 Tiger Cats on some Outlaws, but he was telling me about issues he had with his hydros leaking alot in both of them, he said he thought the oil just got to hot in them. I would never imagine paying over $5000 for a mower and it not having a cooling system to help the pumps last longer, definately not over $8000, thats crazy.