PDA

View Full Version : apply how long after mow?

1999frontier
04-03-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm going to buy some spectracide or weed b gon this weekend and I have to cut the grass tomorrow. How long should I wait after I mow to apply the weed killer?

SeedPro
04-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Presuming this is your own home lawn. You can do it right after.

If it's not your lawn and you're not licensed. Don't do it at all.

1999frontier
04-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Yes this is my own yard.
Posted via Mobile Device

betmr
04-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Read the label thoroughly. Many pesticides need to be applied to vigorously growing plants. there is a shock to plants after mowing, and you may need to wait after mowing. For instance, I have a bottle of weed-b-gone max, right here in my hand. the label says ( under cultural tips & notes) "Mowing: Delay mowing 2 days before & until 2 days after application of this product."

It could also be that opening up the grass blades by cutting them could make them susceptible to the chemical, when they normally would not be.

What ever anyone tells you here, ALWAYS follow the Label. The Label is the Law.

SeedPro
04-03-2010, 12:57 AM
Read the label thoroughly. Many pesticides need to be applied to vigorously growing plants. there is a shock to plants after mowing, and you may need to wait after mowing. For instance, I have a bottle of weed-b-gone max, right here in my hand. the label says ( under cultural tips & notes) "Mowing: Delay mowing 2 days before & until 2 days after application of this product."

It could also be that opening up the grass blades by cutting them could make them susceptible to the chemical, when they normally would not be.

What ever anyone tells you here, ALWAYS follow the Label. The Label is the Law.

90% of the label contents about technique are suggestions and guidelines. Not "The law"

Your post is very misleading.

I know with your months of experience you were trained to think the label is the law.....but there's very little legal wording in a label regarding method and technique.

betmr
04-03-2010, 12:59 AM
It just occurred to me, I read these labels all the time. I always skip the part under Directions, Why? Because it doesn't tell you anything about how to use the chemical...It tells you how illegal it is to use it in a manner inconsistent with it's Labeling

SeedPro
04-03-2010, 01:11 AM
It just occurred to me, I read these labels all the time. I always skip the part under Directions, Why? Because it doesn't tell you anything about how to use the chemical...It tells you how illegal it is to use it in a manner inconsistent with it's Labeling

The way you guys say the label is the law makes people think the cops are gonna come get you if you for example....apply to a lawn thats just been mowed.

You raise some valid points and arguments as to why waiting my be cool, but it's not illegal to apply in a manner inconsistent with a labels "suggestion"

Now if it says Do Not, or Never, or something like that, that's different.

A lot of people here toss that line the label is the law around like it's some way to prove they know what they are doing, but a lot of the information in a label is subjective, open to interpretation, and to be used as a guideline.

Besides that it's not there for any reason other than to protect the manufacturer from litigation.

betmr
04-03-2010, 01:21 AM
90% of the label contents about technique are suggestions and guidelines. Not "The law"

Your post is very misleading.

I know with your months of experience you were trained to think the label is the law.....but there's very little legal wording in a label regarding method and technique.

Oh Pro, what months are those you speak of, the ones back in '04? And you know this product will work better on a dormant plant or a vigorously growing plant. And you are sure that the open exposure of the cut blades of grass to this product will not have a negative effect to same? Like no browning out or die back. You think the people who developed, studied & researched this product don't know what they are talking about? I mean heck, if it don't matter, why are they telling me I should wait. Give me a good reason for that. What do they stand to gain by lying to me?

Even The Glyphosate label says wait after mowing. Why, because you want a vigorously growing plant, to absorb the product.

betmr
04-03-2010, 01:44 AM
The way you guys say the label is the law makes people think the cops are gonna come get you if you for example....apply to a lawn thats just been mowed.

You raise some valid points and arguments as to why waiting my be cool, but it's not illegal to apply in a manner inconsistent with a labels "suggestion"

Now if it says Do Not, or Never, or something like that, that's different.

A lot of people here toss that line the label is the law around like it's some way to prove they know what they are doing, but a lot of the information in a label is subjective, open to interpretation, and to be used as a guideline.

Besides that it's not there for any reason other than to protect the manufacturer from litigation.

My goodness you are so off the mark. you quote the one area of the label about mowing as a "Suggestion" When it is actually an area titled "Notes" And refute the manufacturers chemists. I sir am intelligent enough to know what the term "Delay" in this instance means. It means just that... Delay mowing for 2 days prior and after spraying weed-b-gone max.

Don't play games with all the law talk. The law is made for people who will follow it. There are limits to how much chemical we use, in an application, a season, a year. Can they come measure how much I put down this year, I don't think so. They are just going to have to believe that I am a Law abiding citizen. Much like a red light, it's against the law to run one, but if you don't get caught, is it then legal?

And if the label says, Delay mowing for 2 days, does that make it right for me to mow someones yard, and spray it before I leave, And if it turns brown or dies off, is that OK, because "I" say the Label just suggests I wait 2 days? ......When it clearly says..."Delay mowing for 2days before and until 2 days after application of this product" you can take the chance, but I do work for others, and I won't.

SeedPro
04-03-2010, 04:18 PM
If you mow lawns and spray Ortho weed b gone that you get at Home Depot like you say, chances are you aren't even licensed to apply the pesticides.

So.....see ya later and I hope you don't get caught. The fines are huge for spraying without a license especially in NJ.

:usflag:

betmr
04-03-2010, 05:20 PM
If you mow lawns and spray Ortho weed b gone that you get at Home Depot like you say, chances are you aren't even licensed to apply the pesticides.

So.....see ya later and I hope you don't get caught. The fines are huge for spraying without a license especially in NJ.

:usflag:

I am a Licensed Commercial Pesticide Applicator (NJDEP). I happened to be sitting in my garage, on my laptop last night, Do you think a Licensed applicator could not have a bottle of weed-b-gone on a shelf in his garage? I don't keep regulated products at home. But I would guess that weed-b-gone is a pretty common item, in a household garage.

You seem to be getting pretty far out there, man. judging by your other post (Just lost big account to a non licensed co.) about the lady and the new applicator, you need to step back and catch your breath. Now you're in the business of checking up on, & reporting other tech's? Weren't you saying last night, the Law wasn't important, now look at you, you're becoming a regular DEP Agent. Good luck to ya'. If you operate your business the way you talked last night, I foresee more ladies giving you notes with your last payment, and you'll be stalking whoever takes over the account....Just remember, sometimes we make our own bed....:hammerhead:

SeedPro
04-03-2010, 05:26 PM
*Yawn*.....

betmr
04-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Oh and Where did I say I mow lawns & spray weed-b-gone ? Please point that out to me. I read the Label for the guy. But I Guess,I really am capable, qualified, and able to spray it for anyone I want, since I am Licensed to do so in New Jersey. If you doubt that...Turn Me in like the guy who got your contract, and we'll see who has the last laugh.:laugh::laughing: :terribletowel:

SeedPro
04-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Oh and Where did I say I mow lawns & spray weed-b-gone ? Please point that out to me.

I like TORO, excellent service, huge network, and great machines.

For instance, I have a bottle of weed-b-gone max, right here in my hand.

:dizzy:

You fail at the internets.

:laugh:

betmr
04-03-2010, 11:52 PM
:dizzy:

You fail at the internets.

:laugh:

Weed-b-gone is a good product, I use it around home, but so far I have never used it on someone elses property. But it doesn't matter, I'm licensed.