PDA

View Full Version : How to fix a snap ring on faulty shaft?

SterlingArcher
04-03-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm borrowing a used toro walk-behind. Started it up today for the first time in 2 or 3 years, so the guy it belongs to tells me. He's willing to help me fix it and show me how to fix the problem the next time it comes up, but I want to be armed with some of my own knowledge before we get to work.

I understand it's a pretty common problem. Basically, the right driveshaft/wheel aren't engaging when I put it in gear and the thing just runs in circles. Anyone that could provide some basic instructions on how to fix a faulty snap ring/worn out shaft would be greatly appreciated.

Bonus points for pictures!:usflag:

topsites
04-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Uhm, to my understanding you need a snap ring pliers, and more than a few snap rings.
It would help if they were the correct size.

Beyond that I could really use make, model, and serial number.
How do I extract a picture from a .pdf?
Nevermind I got it.

Do ONE side at a time!!!
If the crap falls apart on you and you can't remember how it goes together, you can refer to the other side.

Refer to picture, see that square plate number 16, that has to come off.
By removing bolt 14, there's another at bottom it's not showing, remove these.
Once the plate is off the entire belt engagement mechanism should come off.
That number 1 spring could hold things back, disengage carefully and be ready to have some parts fall apart.

SterlingArcher
04-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Thanks Topsites...EXACTLY what I was looking for! Ten points to you sir! lol

topsites
04-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Once that is apart...
Next picture below:

Bolt number 6 and 2/3 need to come out so that bearing thing can come off.
Once that is off the shaft should slide right out, at this point the snap ring can be replaced.

The number 5 pulley stays attached during this repair.

Should it be necessary to replace the (number 21) shaft couplers it will probably also be
necessary to replace both the inner and (number 19) outer shafts, the inner shaft is inside
the transmission itself and not covered by this repair, the parts alone are over
$100 however this can be covered at a later time.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

topsites
04-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Thanks Topsites...EXACTLY what I was looking for! Ten points to you sir! lol

Yeah, I forgot to mention the wheel belt... :p
But it shouldn't get in the way too much, matter of fact once you get it all apart
the belt ought to basically drop off the pulley.
On that note the first post is also how you'd replace that belt.

Don't forget I left TWO posts, both with pictures and they are not the same thing.

I'd plan the afternoon, it really shouldn't take that long but do give yourself plenty of time.

SterlingArcher
04-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Wait...which number part is the actual snap ring?