PDA

View Full Version : few seeding questions

dfdsc68
04-02-2010, 11:39 PM
hey guys im doing a spring cleanup for someone and they have a bed that they want grass in. im going to add more top soil and then till and rake it level. i need to spread seed

whats the common type of grass in new jersey the everyday standard looking grass.

also how should i go about putting the seed down. starter fert. seed then pennmulch?

let me know
thanks everyone

RigglePLC
04-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Common cheap seed--is a problem waiting to happen--if there is fungus or light green color you will be blamed. For small areas, I would say use Scotts Turfbuilder seed--one of their top blue/ rye mixtures. "Divine" and "Silverdollar" ryegrass combined with "Abbey" bluegrass is a good bet. Scotts has a good reputation so your customer will trust your choice. I am not a fan of Scotts new watersmart stuff--too much inert in the package. And I hate Scotts "Contractors" blend; it has a high level of annual rye.

betmr
04-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Need to know the amount of sunlight. This time of year, I tend toward higher Rye Grass to Blue Grass mixes for direct sun. The reason being, that Blue Grass has a long Germination/Maturity time. So when the heat and dryness of summer hit the Blue Grass is not mature and easily stressed. When we over-seed in fall, we use straight Bluegrass blends in direct sun.

For semi shady to shady, we use blends with Fine Fescues, The percentage of fescue is determined by the amount of shade. Don't get this wrong, as all grass needs some sun, but Fine Fescue is more tolerant of less. Also Blue grass is More maintenance, more water, more fertilizer, Fescue is more tolerant of low maintenance, once established. Hope that helps.

Also I just want to say that I hate Tall Fescue. The course leaves, clumping, and dull color look terrible to me.

dfdsc68
04-03-2010, 07:13 PM
thanks for the quick responses guys. its a shady area i was going to use pennmulch too.

Mary Henderson
04-03-2010, 09:16 PM
hey guys im doing a spring cleanup for someone and they have a bed that they want grass in. im going to add more top soil and then till and rake it level. i need to spread seed

whats the common type of grass in new jersey the everyday standard looking grass.

also how should i go about putting the seed down. starter fert. seed then pennmulch?

let me know
thanks everyone

The common type of grasses in New Jersey are those that are cool season grasses such as Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial ryegrasses, tall fescue and fine-leaf fescues. There is also a warm season grass that is common which is Zoysia grass. Just choose the best type you can find.

----------

Mary Henderson is a Publisher of http://www.storagesheds360.com and is an expert on the best storage sheds to meet your needs.

betmr
04-03-2010, 09:25 PM
thanks for the quick responses guys. its a shady area i was going to use pennmulch too.

Maybe I should have asked before, What is, or was in this bed. Was it a shade garden, by chance? Because if it was, it was probably done because there is not enough Sun to grow grass there well, You have to remember that ALL grass needs Sun. If this is the case, Tell yourself & your client not to waist your time, or their money, you will be sorely disappointed. If it needs freshening up and new shade plants, sell them that service. They will be much happier with results that work, if that's a bad spot for grass, and it does not work out, they will be very unhappy with you, and you will be frustrated by them. Remember this, You can't fool with mother nature. If that's a bad spot for grass, that's all there is to it. You have to find an alternative.

Just things for you to think about, before you put in all that work and they spend all that money, 'cause guess what, even if it is their idea, after spending their money, if it does not work...they are going to blame YOU.

PS: Can you post any pictures of it, and what is causing the shade? Is it the North side of their house? I'm in Piscataway (Central) Jersey, work in the business, and I can't get grass to grow on the North side of my house. It gets light, but not enough.

dfdsc68
04-03-2010, 09:46 PM
thats true this is on the east side of the house the bed wraps around from the front to the side it has bushes there but being that is gets no sun the moisture caused algea on the siding i dont know what i should do
Posted via Mobile Device

betmr
04-03-2010, 10:36 PM
That is an issue on the north side of my house, I wash it down with Tri Sodium Phosphate and a brush now and then. A lot of power wash guys stay in business on account of it.

Please try to post pix. Maybe thining out and trimming bushes away from siding will get some more air flow there. How about fixing the bed up, and some low shrubs.

dfdsc68
04-03-2010, 11:05 PM
not a bad idea at all ill talk to him this week and see what he wants to do. ill give him the options and have him make the decision

thankyou so much

betmr
04-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Hope it works out for you, Glad to help.