PDA

View Full Version : They finally got it!!!!

Hell on Blades
04-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Ok, this is a major boost for my psychie.... business is way down and the fact that they finally are beginning to bite is great!!!

First, I show up on a 25 minute mow and quote $35 in and out... Customer accepts and I leave -- took 10 minutes. Not only did he accept but signed the contract (I don't require contracts but do offer a 5% discount for signing).

On the way to the house, dictate a different quote to my son who sends the email from my Blackberry. Quote is for a cleanup, $373, for a full day's work, including 5 cubic yards of mulch. Phone rings almost immediately, customer questions the $100 fee for cleaning out the beds.
I answer her simply, had she paid for a spring and fall cleanup last year, the price wouldn't be nearly so high. Since she let it go for a year, it would take that much extra work. She agrees!!!!

If only they all understood it that way!!

bohiaa
04-03-2010, 12:31 AM
WOW your Cheep....

Hell on Blades
04-03-2010, 12:40 AM
How much would you charge for a 25 minute job for a one man crew?
How about for eight hours work for the same crew?

scagrider22
04-03-2010, 12:55 AM
You priced that job about $427.00 to low, so you installed 5 yards of mulch for free! How's that for your phychie?

zak406
04-03-2010, 01:05 AM
You priced that job about $427.00 to low, so you installed 5 yards of mulch for free! How's that for your phychie?

Maybe his over head is lower than yours, possibly that is the going rate from were he lives, or maybe mulch prices are lower than were you live....

Hell on Blades
04-03-2010, 01:31 AM
Where I'm at, working solo with $100.27 of mulch, I profitted $273 for eight hours, including my lunch and an inpromptu estimate in the same block. Even if you take out the two gallons of fuel used to get materials and get there, I'm still at 33.38 per hour.

As far as the mowing goes, I sat here all last year and read, "a dollar a minute". I won't stop for less that $35, but my minimum may be lower than yours.

I enjoy reading this site and follow the forums as often as I can. Like many other self employed persons, I often work from 6 am till well after dark. Sometimes working harder rather than smarter and often working for what turns out to be not enough money. It seems that anyone on here that works for less than you do, regardless of circumstances, is looked down on. We are all working as hard as possible and as often as possible for the money to live our lifestyles as we choose. I'll respect your way of business, try to see that there is more than one perspective.*trucewhiteflag*

I'll even tell on myself here: the first deck I build was a week long project- I bid it for $1500 profit- it came to $20/sq ft -- after talking to several others the norm in this area was $24.50 sq ft -- I talked myself out of an additional $1800, but I made the profit that I intended.

A wise man was once speaking about pricing solo work, "Sometimes you make a little money, sometimes you make a killing, sometimes you break even, avoid losing your ".

Weeded!
04-03-2010, 02:43 AM
Where I'm at, working solo with $100.27 of mulch, I profitted $273 for eight hours, including my lunch and an inpromptu estimate in the same block. Even if you take out the two gallons of fuel used to get materials and get there, I'm still at 33.38 per hour.

As far as the mowing goes, I sat here all last year and read, "a dollar a minute". I won't stop for less that $35, but my minimum may be lower than yours.

I enjoy reading this site and follow the forums as often as I can. Like many other self employed persons, I often work from 6 am till well after dark. Sometimes working harder rather than smarter and often working for what turns out to be not enough money. It seems that anyone on here that works for less than you do, regardless of circumstances, is looked down on. We are all working as hard as possible and as often as possible for the money to live our lifestyles as we choose. I'll respect your way of business, try to see that there is more than one perspective.
"\.

Hey Hell on Blades,

I have to admit that I had the same "wow" that Bohiaa had. It's not because you are less expensive than I am, it's because I would never stay in business at that rate for one man crews.

A couple of points - if you are running out of your house and it's just you and your son then you can take advantage of what I call "economy of small." However, I still believe from my experience that you are selling yourself short- not because you CAN get more, but you might NEED to get more but not realize it. (I said "might" - I don't know your situation).

Just one thing to think about: While you booked $273 after materials on that day, when you factor it in with other days of the week where you visited potential clients, did billing, checked on your son's work, made phone calls, etcetera, your hourly rate drops a bit.

Would you be interested in sharing some numbers privately off lawnsite?

-Weeded!

Hell on Blades
04-03-2010, 02:56 AM
I would, but you're not eligible for PM's

Weeded!
04-03-2010, 03:32 AM
Hell -
Look up my company on google. Contact me via contact page on my web site.

dalouie2
04-03-2010, 03:59 AM
Ok what is the average rate to charge for mulch here on this site we are in pa area penn delco thx d

Golfpro21
04-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Hell on Blades

If your happy with your profit margin, then you should sleep well at night, yes maybe you can charge more, maybe not, but if you are content then that is all that counts

All the best for the season

lilweeds
04-03-2010, 10:19 AM
You can't make money on anything less then $60-70 and hour. You are forgetting taxes, insurance, other maintenance on you equipment. You my friend are nuts. that job should have went for double that. It's no wonder us real LCO's can't charge what the job is worth anymore.

To the Delco guy. Towards philly most guys are getting upwards of $100 a yard.

Weeded!
04-03-2010, 11:05 AM
You can't make money on anything less then $60-70 and hour. You are forgetting taxes, insurance, other maintenance on you equipment. You my friend are nuts. that job should have went for double that. It's no wonder us real LCO's can't charge what the job is worth anymore.

In my experience, everyone's costs are different which will dictate different hourly rates that each person/company "has to" charge to break even and make a profit.

With mulch pricing, some companies can put down 1 yard per man hour, some .5, some 1.5. Some beds can be mulched quickly, some take more time. Depends on how you are set up, how your guys are trained, and on the individual yard, doesn't it?

lilweeds - by my math you are laying one yard of mulch every 90 minutes ($100 per yard divided by $75 per hour). This mean a three man crew is spreading 18 yards per 9 hour day? Does this match your numbers?

SouthSide Cutter
04-03-2010, 11:06 AM

If you cant make it on that there is something wrong. 100,000.00 pieces of equipment hardly bring that an hour with operator. Heres what Iam saying would YOU pay someone 70.00hr or 100.00 to cut your yard. Like Ron White says NO YOU WOULD NOT!!!!
I know you have to make a living, but a job that is only maybe 33 weeks a year cutting grass and you want enough to last you 52 weeks. Is the wrong line of work I think. Unless you have other things to keep you busy.
You just cant run new trucks, trailers, mowers and expect other people to pay for it. At least not around me. Just think about this take 400.00 every month out of your pocket thats what the guys in Philly are doing so they say.
Its alot of money that people are having a hard time finding.

Weeded!
04-03-2010, 11:12 AM
If you cant make it on that there is something wrong. 100,000.00 pieces of equipment hardly bring that an hour with operator. Heres what Iam saying would YOU pay someone 70.00hr or 100.00 to cut your yard. Like Ron White says NO YOU WOULD NOT!!!!

Maybe he is talking about $60-$70 per CREW hour? Probably not, but maybe.

Weeded!
04-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Hell on Blades

If your happy with your profit margin, then you should sleep well at night, yes maybe you can charge more, maybe not, but if you are content then that is all that counts

You may only be happy with your profit margin if you don't know what your real costs add up to. They are not always obvious and part of budgeting is knowing that you will have future expense that you are not paying for right now but have to be accounted for.

A lot of small operators also do not include their sales, management, and administrative time when calculating their hourly rate. If it took you an hour to quote a four hour job and then 30 minutes billing it and collecting the money then you are all of the sudden down from $33/hr to $24 per hour.

Agape
04-12-2010, 09:54 AM
If you don't charge enough, I'll give you a sweet deal when I buy your equipment!
also, if you ever want to get workers to help grow, you can not afford them.