PDA

View Full Version : I really want to talk back to my customer!!!!!!!!

soloscaperman
04-03-2010, 03:08 AM
Here is my story, I have a customer that I also work with in the winter when there isn't any snow. Sounds great? Not. He doesn't like to pay his workers on time. He is a big shot builder and I was grateful that he hired me to do Framing, drywall and taping.

The last check took a month to pay me!! Well here comes spring cleanup. I went there from 10-2 and in that middle I had to refill my gas can. My luck the house wife had to do some chores and with the timing of us two she thought I was out more then 15min to refill my gas can for my blower. I charged $120

He texts me versus leaving a voice mail which is a signal of a problem that he doesn't want to face up. Stating my wife said you started and was wondering if you would finish tomorrow (saturday) what a rude comment in my opinion!!! Then I text him back which was late in the day didn't want to be rude and call but I said I will be there tomorrow. He said there was stick in the flower beds and on the porch!! He said there were still leaves!! I do high quality and I know I don't leave a job until it's 100% done. I never had a problem with any customers. I have a feeling the wife said oh hunny he makes $120 in 4 hours!! She does have him whipped. The f***** house wife doesn't understand how to run a business. I used a lot of gas in my blowers, truck, wear & tear, etc.

I really want to tell him off and say are you gonna pull the same stunt like you do with your construction workers and say also don't always believe what your wife say's. I think his wife is pissed that I made $120 in 4 hours and he wants me to spend more time on the lawn so she is happy

He has been a pain lately and I want to say clean your own dog crap I aint gonna power wash it off your pool or scrap it and I am jackin up your price for being a ****** bag and all the dog crap that I run over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I had to vent and it's 3AM You know it takes a lot for someone to piss me off and I know it's not good to burn bridges but on that street I do 8 homes and he knows my clients pretty well.

Hell on Blades
04-03-2010, 03:13 AM
Better vent here than to lose a job. Especially one that covers the off season.

Hell on Blades
04-03-2010, 03:15 AM
SARCASM ALERT!!!!

You just said you only charged $30 per hour for a cleanup? Holy COW!!! You can't survive on that!!! You have to charge double that because someone else in some other part of the country does!!!

END OF SARCASM ALERT!!!

Weeded!
04-03-2010, 03:26 AM
Does talking back make you any money?
Does working for him make you any money?

These are the questions I ask myself when running my business. I can't let my feelings get in the way of a good business decision.

Some of the best business decisions involve saying "no" to work. I don't think any of them involve talking back.

Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC
04-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Does talking back make you any money?
Does working for him make you any money?

These are the questions I ask myself when running my business. I can't let my feelings get in the way of a good business decision.

Some of the best business decisions involve saying "no" to work. I don't think any of them involve talking back.

This is great advise......also, i am sure you have heard the saying " Don't cut off your nose to spite your face "

ALC-GregH
04-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Are you still a teenager? $30 an hour is nothing. I did a clean up 2 days ago and made close to $100 an hour, gross of course.

delphied
04-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Are you still a teenager? $30 an hour is nothing. I did a clean up 2 days ago and made close to $100 an hour, gross of course.

you da man

lilweeds
04-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Send him a real bill doubling the price (since that is what it should be at the min) and then let him complain. If he doesn't get it take him to small claims.

WholeSaleSteve
04-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Customers like to *itch. I own a LCO and a dealership and deal with literally 100s of people a week. Many folks arn't happy if they arn't *itching. My advice is to not let it get to you, be polite and enjoy spending his money when your done. Customers used to get to me and I had all of the same thougs and feelings you did. I've been in this business 18 years..since I was 16...and I have just learned to not stress as much. Doesn't mean I don't care, I just have learned most people are never happy.

soloscaperman
04-03-2010, 10:34 AM
He gave me a lot of work and plus he said if the price is to high I will do the cleanup myself. The lawn wasn't even bad. I charged $400 last fall and it took about 5 hours I think. The lawn is easy it's all woods around the house it's just a lot of flower beds.

I am not a teen I am 25 but going back to the subject.

topsites
04-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Take a hint, it's not about how much you made in an hour but the customer
evidently feels they are paying too much for what work got done.

And I'm not saying this is the case but I can half-ass a job for $10 an hour,
eat lunch while the mower's running and burning fuel, then run off to get gas and get paid for that too,
do what anyone else said they'd do for $120 but I'm only charging $90 still doesn't mean the customer's going to like it,
and I repeat that I'm not saying this is the case but it is what appears to be at the heart of this problem.

So, I think it's fair to say if you want to run with the big boys you're going to have to man up some.

Better vent here than to lose a job. Especially one that covers the off season.

I like your attitude, it's customers like these that end up calling me and once that happens they're usually mine
for a good long time and not because I pulled some Jedi mind trick that forced it to happen, but because they
straight up liked what they heard, and consequently saw.

Just have to man up to things, plain and simple.

soloscaperman
04-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Man up to what??? I just feel like he has me by the ballz.

whosedog
04-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Why did you charge him $400 for 5hrs last fall and only $120 for 4hrs this spring? That doesn't add up,also it sounds like he's trying to Jew you down by complaining,if you really need the job you just have to suck up to him.I've told many customers off and sometimes they still keep me because they know I'm right and they need me more than I need them.It really feels good when you tell them"you know this isn't working out ,you really need to get someone else because I'm not putting up with your BS anymore" That's how you get the upper hand,you really don't need pita customers, they're not worth the aggravation.

jasontimm
04-03-2010, 03:27 PM
It comes down to if you really need that customer or not, if you dont, then why are you still working for him? If you do, then you are going to have to put up with it, there is a lot of people looking for work who will deal with this prick....and he knows it.

I have had a couple of customers over the years that i just didnt like, i ended it by nicely telling them that was going to discontinue thier service due to a personality conflict, we'd shake hands, and i'd walk away...no problem...you may want to do the same if it bothers you that much,

soloscaperman
04-03-2010, 10:33 PM
It comes down to if you really need that customer or not, if you dont, then why are you still working for him? If you do, then you are going to have to put up with it, there is a lot of people looking for work who will deal with this prick....and he knows it.

I have had a couple of customers over the years that i just didnt like, i ended it by nicely telling them that was going to discontinue thier service due to a personality conflict, we'd shake hands, and i'd walk away...no problem...you may want to do the same if it bothers you that much,

"there is a lot of people looking for work who will deal with this prick....and he knows it."

Hit the nail on the head. But any who he has to understand now I am the boss its my business yes he is my boss in the winter but the winter is gone. He never called me, here were going playing this bi** game where it takes him 2 weeks to call me because I guess he doesn't know how to use a phone unless it;s his wife. I got the pu$$y email that the dog turds weren't cleaned up which I blew away with the blower but the wife said he meant in the dog area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told her I am not doing that unless I get $50 to pick up dog crap in the dog area. I thought he meant the few turds near the in ground pool. Basically he tricked me!

topsites
04-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Man up to what??? I just feel like he has me by the ballz.

Well, maybe he does.
It's not manning up TO something, it's just manning up, as in becoming more of a man.
And maybe that's not the proper definition, but it's what I meant, just have to man up, like growing up, kind of.

But if it's something you can't deal with, because we all get them...
Once it gets like that, way I handle it is I tell them to just keep the money and don't worry about it.

If I KNOW I did what I could, if I know I can't do any more for their money and they're still complaining
or talking about when am I coming back?
I say I ain't coming back, sorry you can keep the money because I just can't do it.

And I do let them keep their money, that way they can't say squat to nobody about me not doing a good job.
If it's free they can't complain, and if they do anyway it won't hold much water.

joel29m
04-03-2010, 10:58 PM
if it was me ill say f**k him and move on, so what he knows the other clients in the area. i had a client in a neighborhood with 4 other yards i cut, one is next door, two across the street and one down the street, everyone called me but her, she dodges my phone calls and i have no clue why, her yard needs cutting asap. never had a problem with her until a couple weeks ago i pullled up to cut the other yards her curtains was open but 10 min. later they were closed. so im guessing she dosent want me to service her anymore, F**K it, move on. but if she ever calls me or come outside when im on another yard im flat out gonna tell her how i feel about the communication with her, if she doesnt want my service, tell me dont ignore me. sometimes it takes a little additude to get them straight, im not gonna let someone stress me out to the point of getting hurt from my equipment and causing me more trouble than to just let his ass go.

jasontimm
04-03-2010, 11:05 PM
[B]

Hit the nail on the head. But any who he has to understand now I am the boss its my business yes he is my boss in the winter but the winter is gone. He never called me, here were going playing this bi** game where it takes him 2 weeks to call me because I guess he doesn't know how to use a phone unless it;s his wife. I got the pu$$y email that the dog turds weren't cleaned up which I blew away with the blower but the wife said he meant in the dog area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told her I am not doing that unless I get $50 to pick up dog crap in the dog area. I thought he meant the few turds near the in ground pool. Basically he tricked me!

I hear ya, They sound like the type of people that when they call for a service, you should maybe go over there and have them show you exactly what they want, then they might not be so inclined to pull a fast one, sounds to me that they are looking for free-bees....i dont know what else to say other than good luck.

Stephen M.
04-03-2010, 11:24 PM
I think that your problem is that you took off season work from a customer and that changed the dynamics of the previous relationship as contractor/customer. Whatever the reason is, you are just another employee who has to accept the payment arrangements as is, or quit.

We don't play those games of people complaining to get a lowered price. If they agreed to the price upfront, that's the price they pay. If i feel generous, I might split the difference if I did better than expected, but it ain't a given. More times than not, if a person is trying to talk us down in price, we tell them to pay up and when the money is in our bank account, we tell them to find another company. Like I said, we don't play the game.

So, do you have the balls to tell him where to ef himself and look for another gig in the winter?

LouisianaLawnboy
04-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Call him up and tell him your work is worth way more than 30.00 an hr, and that he needs to understand where you coming from. Also when you go back Saturday charge him good.

LwnmwrMan22
04-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Come Monday I'll be talking to a customer that changed the scope of work over the winter, during plowing season after the plowing season had already started.

I talked with them at the end of the season and asked if the contract would be renewed.

They said they wouldn't even look at my proposal until I put all of the snow logs in.

This is where the scope of work changed. Mid February, they decided they needed snow logs for all of the work performed for the season.

I personally do not keep exact hourly reports for each snowstorm for the whole season.

I get in, get the job done to specifications agreed upon, go home and sleep.

I am telling them on Monday that I will not be filling out their snow logs. IF they decide to "fire" me, even though I went above and beyond what the contract stated in other aspects, such as salting without charging them, shoveling drifts on steps without charging them (invoicing as no charge) then they can find a new contractor who will fill out snow logs.

I told them that I will fill them out next year, and charge accordingly. They also wanted me to post each time we would want the cars (apartment building) out of the lot as the manager was only there M-W-F.

This was another mid-season change.

Anyways, I'm going in Monday to tell them they can take my proposal or leave it. I don't need their work.

I'd suggest the same to you.

soloscaperman
04-04-2010, 04:21 AM
If I were you I would just count your loss and move on. He sounds like the kind of guy that would go out of his way in the future to make you look bad if you were to make any rash decisions now.

You are actually right. When I meet him 2 years ago he said something like I'm that guy where if you do good work I will spreed the word around and if you do bad work I will still spreed the word around.

He has a problem where he doesn't like to part his money. I knew the painter that painted his house and he didn't pay him for a while because he said the painter did it faster then what he thought.

I meet a lot of people in my life but this guy is not crazy but just odd. I remember working with him in the winter and he asked us what we wanted to eat and I said I wanted a BLT without mayo and he looked at me and said I am not your F*** waiter and that's when it hit me that he doesn't like to take orders from someone else. He wants everything his way, all the time.