PDA

View Full Version : Toro sprinkler install.

waterman1971
04-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Hello, hoping for some advice on a sprinkler system install.

I am attempting to irrigate an area approx 52' x 189'. This area has a radius on both ends. 1" pvc piping was used throughout this installation.

This installation is pressured by a large hydro pneumatic tank. I can adjust the pressure via an inline pressure regulator. The current range on my hydro tank is 74-52 psi. We have it set to deliver around 58 psi to our facility.

I installed 6 toro flo pro xl part #53823 5" pop up rotors. These were installed directly down the centerline of this area, equally spaced.

The actual distribution in terms of radius is per manufacturer spec.

The problem I am experiencing, is the distribution inside the radius is poor to say the least. Hope this makes sense.

My question to the experts is in two parts.

1) Should I replace these units with a higher quality product?

2) Which unit should I choose?

grassman177
04-04-2010, 09:31 AM
i dont know about these heads, but i can tellyou a line of heads down the center only is the worst layout you can do, it should always start from the edges and go around the perimiter and then have heads in the middle to achieve head to head coverage as needed. plus matching the precipitaion rates of all the heads determined by the radius of the head( 90degrees, 180 degrees etc). sounds like you need a pro to come int and redo this project!

waterman1971
04-04-2010, 11:44 AM
I really wish I could. My employer will supply me with the material I need, but i'm afraid the I must perform the labor. Perhaps I could place additional rotors at 20' centers and achieve acceptable results. Thank you for the response. If i could insert a skp file it might help.

Kiril
04-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I really wish I could. My employer will supply me with the material I need, but i'm afraid the I must perform the labor. Perhaps I could place additional rotors at 20' centers and achieve acceptable results. Thank you for the response. If i could insert a skp file it might help.

A look at the design and system parameters is really necessary to make any recommendation. That said .... as already stated, a row of full circle rotors won't cut it. Adding more rotors in the center will help somewhat (assuming you even have the flow available), however it still will not address all the edge coverage problems.

waterman1971
04-04-2010, 12:10 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=469&pictureid=3073
These rotors are 40' on center

The two ends of the lawn have rotors installed as well. I am unable to add the graphic, but you get the idea.

The actual coverage radius extends 6" outside of the green area, but again my limited knowledge of this design software limits my ability to accurately show this.

The dark blue represents "good" distribution, while the lighter color remains less than ideal in terms of coverage.

I can deliver water at a rate of 10.95 gpm @ 58 psi.

Obviously if i add additional rotors the uniformity of coverage will improve.

I was hoping that someone had ideas about the actual performance of the rotor itself.

Perhaps some rotors distribute more evenly inside the maximum range than others.

Kiril
04-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I assume this is all running on one valve?

Plus, why do you believe that is the water distribution? A good rotor will not dump the majority of the water at the edge of the radius.

waterman1971
04-04-2010, 12:22 PM
That is correct sir, the pipe diameter supplying the valve is 3/4". I have a 2" available if additional volume is needed.

In response, it appears that is how the water is being distributed. I welcome recommendations on superior rotors.

waterman1971
04-04-2010, 12:28 PM
I was using impact rotors prior to this, and they appeared to distribute water more evenly.

Kiril
04-04-2010, 12:42 PM
That is correct sir, the pipe diameter supplying the valve is 3/4". I have a 2" available if additional volume is needed. My concern is not so much in volume, as in the performance of the rotors themselves.

Well, let's cut to the chase ..... you are looking at redoing the entire system if you want to water this area correctly. It simply is not possible to fix this system, even if you were able to renozzle or change out the sprinklers with ones that have lower flow. Currently, you have already exceeded the capacity of the system to support the installed sprinklers (assuming you are using the 3 GPM nozzles that came with the sprinklers).

You should be concerned with volume, especially since your installed rotors are calling for 18 GPM, but you only are supplying ~11 GPM. Furthermore, even at ~11 GPM you are either right at, or have exceeded the maximum safe flow velocity for pretty much all types of 3/4" PVC.

Available flow is one the the primary factors in designing an irrigation system, you cannot design a system or a single zone without taking this into consideration. Personally, I try to keep my total flow per zone to around 80% of what is available to allow for supply fluctuations and adjustment flexibility.

Bottom line .... you need to start from scratch here. If you are saddled with doing the work, then at the very least you should get a professional to design the system, otherwise you are simply wasting time and money. I personally almost never design a system with anything less than 1" valve, and in your case, that would be the minimum size you should use.

waterman1971
04-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Thank you so much for your help. If interpret your advice correctly, splitting these rotors into two separate zones may provide better distribution. Also the possibility of using a 2" supply would be feasible.

ajslands
04-04-2010, 12:59 PM
IMO you are way ove your head!

And I don't know a thing about spinkler systems excpt that if water is lefnover w ter in them it could freeze, drip irragation us only for vegtable gardens, the sprinlers need to over lap, you need a pipe puller to do the job, looks like a gopher went across the lawn when you're done, and 12' is a live stretch for the pipe puller to pull when going under a driveway, but that's all I know, oh and the rain sensors are a waste of $$ cuz they do t wok either!
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
04-04-2010, 01:01 PM
A 2" supply won't help if all you have available is 11 GPM. Off the top of my head, with a 11 GPM and a 1" supply, you will probably need at least 3-4 zones to cover this area.

I agree you are in way over you head here .... plus TX code & regs are very strict with regard to sprinkler systems and installs.

waterman1971
04-04-2010, 01:04 PM
I have a 2" supply line connected directly to my hydro tank. I will determine the rate of flow asap.

ajslands
04-04-2010, 01:10 PM
I thought Texas was all dessert and sandy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing::laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing::laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Posted via Mobile Device

waterman1971
04-04-2010, 01:15 PM
I can do 50 gal in 1:55 with my 1" supply line. Is it worth the effort?

Kiril
04-04-2010, 01:25 PM
I can do 50 gal in 1:55 with my 1" supply line. Is it worth the effort?

With 25 GPM and 1.5 inch valves & supply line, you might be able to do the area with 2 zones, assuming you can sustain that flow rate at the already stated pressure. That said, you are still looking at redoing the entire system because a single run of full circle sprinklers just will not cut it. Don't guess here. You need to design (or get a pro to design) a system the will water the area efficiently per TX code & regs. Once you know how many sprinklers you need to cover this area and flow rates per sprinkler (they won't all be the same), then you can make the decision on the number of valves/zones needed based on the available water supply and pressure.

waterman1971
04-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks again for your time sir. Happy Easter to you as well. I guess it cannot hurt to ask, but would you be interested in helping with the new design?

Kiril
04-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks again for your time sir. Happy Easter to you as well. I guess it cannot hurt to ask, but would you be interested in helping with the new design?

You would be far better off getting a TX licensed irrigator involved because if I am not mistaken, not only is a design required by law in TX, but it must be stamped by TX licensed irrigator and submitted to the city.

waterman1971
04-04-2010, 01:40 PM
I am at a water treatment plant. ALL utility connections inside the plant are protected by a 6" rpz. In addition each "zone" has its own 2" rpz. I am a licensed backflow prevention assembly tester.

Kiril
04-04-2010, 01:45 PM
I am at a water treatment plant. ALL of our utility connections are protected by a 6" rpz. In addition each "zone" has its own 2" rpz. I am a licensed backflow prevention assembly tester.

I don't know all the ins and outs of TX license requirements, but as far as I know, that is not equivalent to a licensed irrigator and won't fly with the state or the city. Best I can advise here is if you aren't going to talk to a licensed irrigator, you need to call the city and find out what they require.