PDA

View Full Version : rolling lawn

labrador2
04-03-2010, 10:53 AM
got a couple requests for rolling rough lawns. i am going to use my 4 wheeler and roller one the big areas . on the fenced in areas i was wondering if the roller on my aeratr would be heavy enough.we just gor a good rain
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
04-03-2010, 01:03 PM
If it's filled with water it should be about the same, and if it's to the point that
you can't get anything else near that fence then after you talk it over with the
customer they will probably let you do it that way...

But I'd get the clearance from the customer on this first, just to be sure!

snowjeep
04-04-2010, 01:04 AM
I dont know how big your roller is. But I bought one that with water was 640lbs and it did nit do much. I wound up filling it with sand which brought it to around 900 lbs and now I can tell I smoothed out a lawn.

Schuley
04-04-2010, 05:59 PM
I've always been told that rolling is bad for the lawn. Compacts the soil around the roots and inhibits proper root growth.... I don't do it, and nobody around here does except for the old timers that have done it so long because thats what used to be common.

TL1981
04-04-2010, 11:37 PM
500 or 600 lb roller 3-4' width is fine for a northern lawn that has freeze heaving... just enough to flaten out the raised spots. Your not trying to *level* out the damn yard! Now a 1000 lb roller will surely compact the soil which is not good. Of course it's all relative to how soft the ground is.

I saw a guy the other day rolling his yard with a small asphalt roller I kid you not! His yard was smooth alright, reeeeeaaal smooth :hammerhead: Oh, and you should have see the huge ruts in the yard his F-250 and trailer with the roller loaded on it made, some people are just genious! This was done the very next day after a hard, continuous rain that lasted all day. Good stuff.