PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on what works best for this job

MDLawn
04-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Fellow Lawnsite members,

I have a job to bid on (I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A PRICE!!) I am just looking to see what others have done to make it go along efficiently. So basically there is an area behind this clients pool fence they would like cleared out. It doesn't need to be planted yet just get it cleaned out. Their yard and the fence backs up to a forest and mish mosh of fallen trees and small saplings. Basically it is their property but the previous owners let it be taken over. The area is 5' on one side 15' on the other and around 70' feet long. There is no easy way to get any type of machine back there. My plan was to go through with a chainsaw (yes I am experienced, I worked for a tree company), brush cutting attacment on a trimmer, drag all stuff to the dump trailer and then dump it, obviously. I'd say there are 2 or 3 6-12" dead trees in the area that only need to be cut back 5-10 feet, not totally removed. The rest are 1 to 3" saplings and brush. I figure it would take me and a helper the whole 8 hr day. Just curious if anyone else has run into a similar job and what worked well. I don't want this to turn into a 2-3 day event :hammerhead:

Any insight is appreciated!

rjh4758
04-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Get a chipper! Get a chipper! Get a chipper!

If you don't you will spend all week running and dumping. I cleared an area very similar to what you are describing mine was 20X40 so close. The large trees stayed and all the small trees and brush was removed. I was allowed to pill the brush in site and the owner was going to burn it. Till I was done the pile was almost the size of a house. If I would have had to haul it away without chipping it would have taken a week+ to do. I did it solo and was done in less than 2 days so you should have no problem getting it done in a day with a helper so long as you chip it to reduce the trips to dump.

rjh4758
04-03-2010, 01:39 PM
I do not know if you have multiflora rose like where I lived in SE PA but if you do get leather gloves, you will be thanking me latter

fl-landscapes
04-03-2010, 03:15 PM
can you remove a section of fence so you can get a mini in there like a dingo? Sure would save a lot of time in labor.

MDLawn
04-03-2010, 03:48 PM
I thought about the dingo but besides hauling the stuff out what attachments would you use?
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
04-03-2010, 03:51 PM
I thought about a chipper too but they are not cheap to rent, at least from what have seen. Plus I only have one truck to haul it? I know this is the best way but up goes the bill. I'll keep thinking. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Hell on Blades
04-04-2010, 01:38 AM
Looking at Sunbelt Rentals in Syracuse (not sure how far from you), looks like $170 per day for a 6" drum chipper. I'd add it to the cost of the job...

MDLawn
04-04-2010, 08:50 AM
I actually found out I may be able to use one for free. I know to add it into the job but the 700 for the one I found would be close to the cost of the job.
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
04-04-2010, 10:42 AM
I thought about the dingo but besides hauling the stuff out what attachments would you use?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like there were a lot of dead trees and small saplings. You could use a root rake after cutting big stuff with the chain saw, and clear it right out. Depending on how much brush maybe a brush cutter attachment. But I think the root rake/grapple would cut your labor time down tremendously

MDLawn
04-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Sounds like there were a lot of dead trees and small saplings. You could use a root rake after cutting big stuff with the chain saw, and clear it right out. Depending on how much brush maybe a brush cutter attachment. But I think the root rake/grapple would cut your labor time down tremendously

I agree with what you are saying. However, there is no room to grab onto 15ft of brush and bring it out. Too many fences, sheds, etc... Thats why I will use workers :) I also do not want to run the bill up renting too many things and not get the work. I mean if i rented a chipper and a dingo the bill is going to be way over 1k and I dont think that is going to fly.

MDLawn
04-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the help but it looks as though someone else is deciding to work for free. This is what the customer tells me they recieved. A spring clean up (I quoted it with 3 yards mulch, edging beds, trimming bushes and tilling some beds to clean them up) they recieved a quote for $200?!?!? Brush removal for $500 less (maybe I was high at $1500 but it was a mess), and 1/3 acre lawn with TONS of trimming for $20??? AWESOME!!!!

What makes me the most upset is that they had a garbage service before and she was preaching needing quality, quality, quality!!! Oh well this is the landscape game :hammerhead: