PDA

View Full Version : Pavers for $1.00 sqf

tlojohnson
04-03-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't know much about pavers but I found some for $1.00 per sqf. They look perfectly normal to me and they're the type I'm looking for. Do I need to be concerned or look out for anything?
Posted via Mobile Device

Meezer
04-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Describe to us please what you mean by "perfectly normal"

tlojohnson
04-03-2010, 11:08 AM
They look th same as when I've gone to the different showrooms around town.
Posted via Mobile Device

Meezer
04-03-2010, 11:17 AM
What is the name of the company that makes them?

tlojohnson
04-03-2010, 11:41 AM
It's a warehouse and they buy them from a place called pyramid pavers out of englewood Florida. The guy told me he's buys them from pyramid for 89 cents sqf
Posted via Mobile Device

Paver Gangster
04-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Tell "the guy at the warehouse" that you will need a written copy of the manufacturer's specifications before you buy the pavers. If he cant, or wont, or the manufacturer wont provide them, or the specs do not read that they meet astm-936 with a lifetime warranty, then as the old saying goes, you what what you pay for.

wurkn with amish
04-03-2010, 03:53 PM
I can get you the number of a company in Sarasota that can steer you in the right direction or do the work.....

tlojohnson
04-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I can get you the number of a company in Sarasota that can steer you in the right direction or do the work.....

I doubt they'll be able to get me the pavers for this price but I'll definatley give them a try. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
04-03-2010, 04:56 PM
a year and a half ago i had a client buy 6,500 SF of Belgard Cambridge Cobble pavers for a buck a square foot. They were fine.

traderfjp
04-03-2010, 05:42 PM
My supplier has then for 1sq ft but they are smaller odd lots. I pais 2.05 for CST pavers but I had to take a large order.

FLCthes4:11-12
04-03-2010, 08:11 PM
a year and a half ago i had a client buy 6,500 SF of Belgard Cambridge Cobble pavers for a buck a square foot. They were fine.

Yep you never know sometimes it is actually a legitimate deal I let go of a couple of pallets of Belgard Holland stone this winter for a buck a square foot. I had bought them in a package deal from Deere and needed the cash. Just check and make sure they are all the same size. If it is for personal use you might live with slight cosmetic issuses but for a full price customer it aint worth it.

tlojohnson
04-05-2010, 09:07 AM
If I buy the pavers on my own, what should I expect to pay someone to install them. I have 8,000 sqf and right now it's just dirt
Posted via Mobile Device

traderfjp
04-05-2010, 12:16 PM
5-10 a square.
Posted via Mobile Device

tlojohnson
04-05-2010, 06:36 PM
5-10 what a square. If you mean $5-10 a sqf then that seems really high and I won't be doing pavers
Posted via Mobile Device

Moneypit
04-07-2010, 09:24 PM
This is not directed at you tlojohnson, but has anyone ever noticed that when a customer already has or is going to buy the pavers themselves, they expect the job to be done for next to nothing? Not that I price by the square foot, but I just looked at a job where the customer already has the pavers and it came out to around $10/sq ft for installation. They were blown away and kept repeating "but I already have the pavers".
This has happened 3 times already this season.

PlatinumLandCon
04-07-2010, 09:28 PM
This is not directed at you tlojohnson, but has anyone ever noticed that when a customer already has or is going to buy the pavers themselves, they expect the job to be done for next to nothing? Not that I price by the square foot, but I just looked at a job where the customer already has the pavers and it came out to around $10/sq ft for installation. They were blown away and kept repeating "but I already have the pavers".

LOL they must think all we do is take them off a skid and put them on the ground:hammerhead:

tlojohnson
04-07-2010, 09:31 PM
No offense taken. But if you charging $10 sqf just for installation, how much do yo charge if somene buys the pavers through you?
Posted via Mobile Device

Meezer
04-07-2010, 09:58 PM

Yes, we occasionally run across a few people like that. These type of people tend to be PITA & tightwads. I try avoid these types as much as I can

Meezer
04-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Why would a homeowner that pays retail for pavers believe that they can get a better deal than a contractor that buys $250K + a year @ wholesale from the same supplier???

Moneypit
04-07-2010, 10:08 PM
No offense taken. But if you charging $10 sqf just for installation, how much do yo charge if somene buys the pavers through you?
Posted via Mobile Device

The cost of the paver + 15% + the $10/sq ft. Then tack on the delivery (either myself or mason yard) to the final bill.

Meezer
04-07-2010, 10:17 PM
:clapping:The cost of the paver + 15% + the $10/sq ft. Then tack on the delivery (either myself or mason yard) to the final bill.

Sounds like a plan:clapping::cool2:

nepatsfan
04-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I would charge between $14-$20 a square foot with my pavers installed. 8000 square feet would be on the 14$ side. Lots of factors though. If it is under 200 square feet more like $20 a square foot. I love people that buy their own. Those are not the kind of customers I want. You get what you pay for. Do you buy your own steak and bring it to a restaraunt and tell them to cook it. Do you buy your own altenator and bring it to the garage and tell them to install it. Do you buy your own 2x4's and plywood and tell the carpenter to build your addition. If someone is trying to pinch pennies by buying their own materials(anything mulch, loam, pavers) I would give an even higher estimate because I know they will be pita customers and I would never get the job, and if they told me this before going to the estimate, I would respectfully decline the estimate. 8000 square feet is a big area What are you using them for. I can't imagine anyone doing this job for less than $5 a square foot.

steve5966
04-09-2010, 11:04 AM
5-10 what a square. If you mean $5-10 a sqf then that seems really high and I won't be doing pavers
Posted via Mobile Device

Besides the pavers, you need the equipment to dig it out, the base, bedding sand and the joint sand. The equipment list reads like this. Skid or mini-ex or both, shovels, rakes, levels, plate compactor, brooms, blowers, saws, blades, truck, trailer, fuel, maintenence on the equipment, a place to store the equipment, paper, pencils, this computer to type this out, internet connection, I may have missed some things, but the most important thing is the knowledge that I have that you don't.
We may play in the dirt for a living, but that doesn't mean our knowledge and experience isn't valuable.

You can always go to Home Depot and they will tell you how to do it in a weekend.

wurkn with amish
04-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Steve5966 you forgot insurance :)

nepatsfan
04-09-2010, 08:48 PM
what about the money you waste on fuel to do estimates for people that buy their own pavers and think people will install them for nothing.

nepatsfan
04-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Besides the pavers, you need the equipment to dig it out, the base, bedding sand and the joint sand. The equipment list reads like this. Skid or mini-ex or both, shovels, rakes, levels, plate compactor, brooms, blowers, saws, blades, truck, trailer, fuel, maintenence on the equipment, a place to store the equipment, paper, pencils, this computer to type this out, internet connection, I may have missed some things, but the most important thing is the knowledge that I have that you don't.
We may play in the dirt for a living, but that doesn't mean our knowledge and experience isn't valuable.

You can always go to Home Depot and they will tell you how to do it in a weekend.

well said though.....Missing insurance like the other guy said. I can think of a few other things but I think that sums up the idea of it. :clapping:

04-09-2010, 09:30 PM
I think 5-10 is a good ball park number for the southeast. Most people around here think pavers should be cheaper than poured concrete. i wouldnt go with the low bidder for an 8,000 square job unless he's got a bunch of references. good ones!

tlojohnson
04-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Man guys everyone I've got a quote from has been between $3.50 & $5.00. And these are the well respected companies that have been around a while. They said they were charging $10.00 or more about 5 years ago but things have changed
Posted via Mobile Device

Moneypit
04-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Man guys everyone I've got a quote from has been between $3.50 & $5.00. And these are the well respected companies that have been around a while. They said they were charging $10.00 or more about 5 years ago but things have changed
Posted via Mobile Device

For, 8000 sq ft, I would possibly come down a little from my price depending on some site and layout factors, but I wouldn't even consider it for $3.50 to $5.00.
What is the layout? Are there separate areas or walkways or is it one big rectangle?

tlojohnson
04-09-2010, 10:11 PM
It's almost an s shape with a circle in the middle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Paver Gangster
04-10-2010, 01:36 AM

I am going to tell Pete the Paver on you!:nono::nono::nono:

nepatsfan
04-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I would hire them immediately.

Meezer
04-11-2010, 11:10 PM
I would hire them immediately.

Yes, before they change their mind

04-12-2010, 07:41 AM
whose buying the crusher run, sand, poly and edging? you need more that just the block.

nepatsfan
04-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Nobody...at 3.50 a square foot they are throwing them off the truck onto the loam and calling it a day.

tlojohnson
04-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Is it just cheaper in Florida cause I have been to all the nice show rooms in my Area and thats the price they're giving me
Posted via Mobile Device

shade tree landscaping
04-24-2010, 09:56 PM
install 8k for $3.50 a sqft....glad I dont live in florida! I would be eating PB&Js or breakfast, lunch and dinner at the price!

Reality
04-24-2011, 10:28 AM
It seems a few of the contractors posting here want you to believe it takes a degree in civil engineering to install a paver, and this is there justification for charging 10 dollars a sq ft which is insane.

The problem is the public is more educated now with tools given to them such as the web. The facts are more companies are now willing to sell directly to the customer and the cut the middle man out. In the good ole days a contractor would sell you a product at 100% of its cost to you make a heft profit it was also this way in the IT business for a long time. Now there is very little profit margin on selling equipment ie ( in this case a paver) everyone sells them and cheap. The money lies in services to install. That is the reality of doing business in a America now.

If these so called $10 sq ft to install contractors are so great they better being backing it up. Most of them if I had to guess are independants with poor rep without the high mark up on selling a paver have a hard time staying in business.

Don't be fooled there alot of great installation companies out there do a great job for $3-4 sq ft your materials. This is similar to the time when I had the windows and siding replaced on my house. A well know company came in said it take over 50K to the entire house and windows. I found a guy by word of mouth did the same job for plus more for 23k he used better materials. He did such a great job and fixed a water damage problem plus more.

The best advise to anyone is do your homework don't get lazy. Stay away from the so call $10 sq paver contractors they are most likely they worst installers best bet is go with the guy in the middle. Always try and get multiple bids there alot of competition out there that do great work.

Reality check

GreenLight
04-24-2011, 10:54 AM
It seems a few of the contractors posting here want you to believe it takes a degree in civil engineering to install a paver, and this is there justification for charging 10 dollars a sq ft which is insane.

The problem is the public is more educated now with tools given to them such as the web. The facts are more companies are now willing to sell directly to the customer and the cut the middle man out. In the good ole days a contractor would sell you a product at 100% of its cost to you make a heft profit it was also this way in the IT business for a long time. Now there is very little profit margin on selling equipment ie ( in this case a paver) everyone sells them and cheap. The money lies in services to install. That is the reality of doing business in a America now.

If these so called $10 sq ft to install contractors are so great they better being backing it up. Most of them if I had to guess are independants with poor rep without the high mark up on selling a paver have a hard time staying in business.

Don't be fooled there alot of great installation companies out there do a great job for $3-4 sq ft your materials. This is similar to the time when I had the windows and siding replaced on my house. A well know company came in said it take over 50K to the entire house and windows. I found a guy by word of mouth did the same job for plus more for 23k he used better materials. He did such a great job and fixed a water damage problem plus more.

The best advise to anyone is do your homework don't get lazy. Stay away from the so call $10 sq paver contractors they are most likely they worst installers best bet is go with the guy in the middle. Always try and get multiple bids there alot of competition out there that do great work.

Reality check

Reality, you need to take an extensively long look into the reality of running a "legitimate business" before you start running your mouth. For starters, I don't like slinging mud at anyone, but you just painted a lot of people with a broad brush and I guarantee you that you have zero experience with operating a business and I can venture this guess based on your commentary.

For starters, set up a monthly operating cost diagram for running a small 3-4 man show. Then break that down by week and then by day, then by hour. Then you will find out what it truly costs to run a legitimate business before you ever even meet a customer. Little things like, Insurance, workmans comp, licensing, utilities, office fees, etc, etc (the list is very long) go a long way in determing cost. It's not about material cost plus labor, if it was we would all throw pavers in for 5 bucks a square foot. In order to run a legit business (required by law) blame the government, not us.

stlouis grass cutter
04-24-2011, 11:03 AM

Reality check

Reality, lets get real here. The company that quote you 50K was probably one of those large nation wide companies whose bid initially comes in higher that a kite (and unfortunately there are people out there who would accept that bid) These are probably the Thomas Constructions, Champions, Castle Rock and so on. They sell and install crap, look at all the advertising, the big fancy showrooms, company trucks that are skinned with company logos, pictures etc. They are not comparing apples to apples. No, it is not rocket science, but there are more variable involved than just laying the pavers. A truck, a shovel and a cell phone does not make someone a contractor, quality work does. The word of mouth guy, was probably a guy who has been doing this for some time, works out of his house so he has little or no overhead a two or three man crew, including himself. Its the idiots that do the work for $3.50 a sqf who have ruined it for guys that are a legitimate business for themselves. Too many people out there that think they can do a great job but really can't. I would want someone with experience and have the job done right the first time. Do it right or don't do it at all, price should not be the only selling point. Also the United States is a large area if you haven't noticed. Prices in St. Louis, MO may differ from, NY, FL, SD, TX, or CA.

Get what you can for a job depending on where you are from. Make good money of the job without shorting yourself but don't screw over the customer either because word of mouth is the best and cheapest advertisement.

Also, if you are so knowledgeable why do you hide all your information. You don't show where you are from or what you do.

If I was to guess you are either new to this kind of work yourself or used to work for someone and figure you could do this yourself. I bet you are the $3.50 sqf contractors yourself.

stlouis grass cutter
04-24-2011, 11:05 AM
P.S. reality if you are on here just to "stir the pot". Take your spoon out of the pot and go somewhere else.

DVS Hardscaper
04-24-2011, 11:59 AM
MR Reality, is really off base. I'm thinking REALITY must be a home owner that's upset about prices?

The guy took the time to create a user name just for this thread, wrote a long long post. But he's really not even close to correct.

Reality's post does nothing but focus on unit pricing.

And that's not how most contractors work.

My company's work is priced on materials and productions hours. Factoring in loading the truck(s), unloading the trucks(s), initial mobilization, travel time to and fro per day per employee. Accessibility to the work area. Can we get a skid steer in there? No skid steer, ok, can we use our tractor? Or do we have to wheel-barr all the material up a steep hill in 94-degree temps? How much brooming and shoveling dirt of the pavements at the end of the work day must be done? HOw many down spout lines must we bury and route, along with the sump pump discharge line? FOr the D/S can use use flex drain tubing or must we use PVC (due to leaves on the trees)?

Saying manufactureres will sell material direct is quite a misleading blanket statement. Here in the MD area, there is only one manufacturer that sells to anyone that wants to buy, and they have always always always done so from day one, for decades. But none of the others are doing that. So REALITY, you're far from accurate, thus you need to get with reality.

When it's all said and done, our jobs average no less than $15 / SF (in most cases) (keywords: no less) And I barely pull a net profit of 18-20% per job.

Civil Engineering Degree??? No, but we must have knowledge in facits of geo-technical engineering as well as civil, along with architecture, and along with construction. This is what seperates the pros from the hacks.

Good luck ta ya there Reality, over the years you'll find there's a lot to learn, don't lose focus and you'll find success.

DVS Hardscaper
04-24-2011, 12:24 PM
And also REALITY, it's not the internet that drives pricing for the industry. Or drives pricing down, I should say.

Under certain contex of conversation, from time to time I'll tell people "if you really shop around, you'll get you $12k patio done for $8k. And you can! I needed a cylinder kit for my Stihl chainsaw. I didnt want aftermarket parts. I was in no hurry. So I scoured the internet until I found factory parts at a price I was wanting to pay.

The hardscape industry in our area is alive and well. The market is on fire. But the pricing IS NOT. I attribute this to the recession. SO many local contractors dropped their prices so low, just to make enough money to cover the past due telephone bill so the calls could still come in. It's ridiculous.

Heck, just our state's unemployment insurance rates alone are through the roof. I use a payroll service for the payroll, so I see each liability broken down per employee per pay period. It's unreal.

I frequently tell people "When I get sick I go onlibe and I research what's wrong with me before I call the doctor. SO I realize you may be going online and researching and learning about this work you want done. I frequently have people say to me "we read on the internet......", well it may be true, but what you read may not pertain to your situation, as we work together the best thing we can do is communicate one on one and call me anytime if you have questions"

Meezer
04-24-2011, 11:52 PM

Reality,

You need to put down & step away from the crack pipe that you are smoking:laugh:

This is the Hardscaping forum, NOT IT!:hammerhead:

It is quite clear from your post that you have no clue on how to run any business, much less a profitable hardscape business. You also have no clue as to why the costs of doing business around country vary so much. Come on Mr IT man, tell us why it would cost more to run a business in say New York City than Valparaiso, Indiana??????

bill1500
04-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

PatriotLandscape
04-26-2011, 09:51 PM
wow reality really thinks he knows whats going on in business what did he take business class while attending community college?

i'm sorry DVS but I always assume its you stirring up trouble when I see a person with 1 post calling us out on things :)