PDA

View Full Version : Hustler XR-7 in Northern Grasses.

doubleedge
04-03-2010, 04:18 PM
What exactly is wrong the XR-7 deck in northern grasses such as Kentucky Blue Grass? I always see people bashing the cut quality of these mowers, but they usually aren't specific. Do they leave stragglers or uneven areas? Don't they bag or mulch well?

The reason I ask is because there are some excellent deals on demo Hustler units at my dealer; the dealer is close and they appear to have good service. Specifically, I am looking at a 60" Super Z with 31hp and with 50 hours that is about $2000 off the list price. The only thing holding me back from buying one is the questionable cut quality.

MJB
04-03-2010, 04:31 PM
What exactly is wrong the XR-7 deck in northern grasses such as Kentucky Blue Grass? I always see people bashing the cut quality of these mowers, but they usually aren't specific. Do they leave stragglers or uneven areas? Don't they bag or mulch well?

The reason I ask is because there are some excellent deals on demo Hustler units at my dealer; the dealer is close and they appear to have good service. Specifically, I am looking at a 60" Super Z with 31hp and with 50 hours that is about $2000 off the list price. The only thing holding me back from buying one is the questionable cut quality.

Mine is a 2006 they had to add on a bunch of stuff to stop the blowout the front of the deck. With the add ons it helped but mine still misses stringers when side discharging, and mulching it does better but still has a lot of buildup under the deck.
I would carefully look under the new XR7 decks and look to see how many bolts, baffles etc there are that will cause the grass to build up. In 2006 this deck had a lot problems, have them show you the changes. Demo if possible, some guys say the new ones cut great but mine doesn't, it's better than it was but to me it's the Triton deck of Hustler.

doubleedge
04-03-2010, 04:38 PM
The dealer just started carrying Hustlers last year, so they wouldn't know what has changed. I need to buy something in the next week and the grass is dormant, so a demo wouldn't be very helpful.

My other option is a new Toro Z500 with a 60" Turboforce deck and 27 hp, but the Hustler is slightly more compact, lower to the ground, faster, and more powerful.

doubleedge
04-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Anyone else have experience with the Hustler decks in northern grasses?

MJB
04-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Anyone else have experience with the Hustler decks in northern grasses?

If you don't mind double cutting the Hustler is a very nice machine. The Super Z sits low and has a great ride, very smooth hydros now. I mulch so the first past is to cut it, the 2nd pass criss crossing it cleans it up and leaves a nice cut. Don't know about bagging. But if you cut KBG at 3.5 or higher it lays over a little no matter which mower you use. Hopefully someone else can help with the newer machines.

djagusch
04-03-2010, 11:06 PM
I have a 09 72" Super Z and cut in MN. The XR7 deck has a "A" deck and "B" deck for the different grasses. Most likely the mower came from Kaye Corp in Mankato, MN and has the right deck on it for up here. I don't remember what is right one for up here but as long as he didn't buy them at auction down south it should have the correct deck.

I use it for large accounts and a park system I do, so cut isn't always needing to be the best but is acceptable. My Scags cut better but the Hustler I think most would not notice the difference.

Imow4u2
04-04-2010, 09:47 AM
"B" deck for the north, my new xr-7 cuts better than my "updated" '06..

Cooter
04-04-2010, 10:50 AM
The last Hustler I demoed didn't do very well in tall thick grass. It was leaving stragglers all throughout the deck. It was most noticeable in between the blades. If they have updated the xr7 I would give it another shot. They are supposed to be coming out with a new mower and deck for 2011 anyway.

MJB
04-04-2010, 11:58 AM
"B" deck for the north, my new xr-7 cuts better than my "updated" '06..

If you don't mind my asking, How much did you get out of your 2006? Mine
has around 1100 hrs and has had everything replaced once or twice except the engine, and seems to be in great shape, but I haven't much trust in it after all the repairs.

Landscraper1
04-04-2010, 03:56 PM

I am from Massachusetts. I have 1 2007 Super Z with a 26hpLC Kaw and 2 2009 31hp Kaw. Have never encountered a problem with the XR7 deck. I don't mulch at all. I have collection systems on all of them. Have never had a mower bag as well as they do. I was using the Scags and Encores before them. The Encores had many problems but, bagged well. The Scag had no problems but, the bagging was terrible.
The Hustlers for me have been bullet proof and I can bag under the worst of conditions. I have been hearing some complaints on the decks but, it seems to be on just the 2006 models. Can't go wrong with that 31hp Kaw, Good Luck!!!

doubleedge
04-04-2010, 07:57 PM
I am from Massachusetts. I have 1 2007 Super Z with a 26hpLC Kaw and 2 2009 31hp Kaw. Have never encountered a problem with the XR7 deck. I don't mulch at all. I have collection systems on all of them. Have never had a mower bag as well as they do. I was using the Scags and Encores before them. The Encores had many problems but, bagged well. The Scag had no problems but, the bagging was terrible.
The Hustlers for me have been bullet proof and I can bag under the worst of conditions. I have been hearing some complaints on the decks but, it seems to be on just the 2006 models. Can't go wrong with that 31hp Kaw, Good Luck!!!

What type of grass do you mow? I will be primarily bagging also, so I should get similar results to yours.

demhustler
04-05-2010, 01:06 AM
I have a 09 72" Super Z and cut in MN. The XR7 deck has a "A" deck and "B" deck for the different grasses. Most likely the mower came from Kaye Corp in Mankato, MN and has the right deck on it for up here. I don't remember what is right one for up here but as long as he didn't buy them at auction down south it should have the correct deck.

I use it for large accounts and a park system I do, so cut isn't always needing to be the best but is acceptable. My Scags cut better but the Hustler I think most would not notice the difference.

2007-2008; 2 and 3 year-old 60'' decks as shown on hustler site (A?or B?) - not bad for KBG - cut and overall performance pretty much equal to toro velocity or exmarks (sure,there is no perfect mower or deck, if wet - all clogges-in..., etc)
could be handy if xr7 chopped discharge as thin as exmark type decks, but that's not biggie
vacuuming leaves - good (though clogges-up more than exmark, about same as grasshopper); grass - can't tell - don't bag much grass

Imow4u2
04-05-2010, 02:20 AM
has around 1100 hrs and has had everything replaced once or twice except the engine, and seems to be in great shape, but I haven't much trust in it after all the repairs.

I was asking, and got 5,500.00.. Sold it to a buddy of mine, I told him at that price I would go through it as if to take it back work myself.. Prior to that I had replaced the pumps and motors, a few belts and pigtails... After he agreed I replaced the deck and hydro belt, hydro idler arm and serviced the hydros and engine LOF.. I also backed the E.F.I. down to 3670 r.p.m.'s it holds oil better there...

Yeah, I was nervous to try another season, but felt good selling to him as he will only log 75-100 hrs. a year

My HZ 60 had actually been a super machine W no issues, just was kind of f'ed up trying to stripe with both machines on the same job.. I did'nt like the look.. Got 4K for this one

crete
04-06-2010, 12:10 AM
A little off topic but I have an 05(last yr brfore xr7 deck) and don't know why they changed it. I have the bigger opening on mine and it leaves a beautiful cut.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
04-06-2010, 12:32 PM

I sold my 07 2760 with exactly the same hours For 5 g. I threw in a weedeater and edger though to sweeten the deal.

Landscraper1
04-06-2010, 06:49 PM
What type of grass do you mow? I will be primarily bagging also, so I should get similar results to yours.

Mostly Blue Fescue

Hustlersz66
04-07-2010, 06:22 PM
just to chime in again i got a super z almost as soon as they came out and the blowout as some might call it from under the deck was terrible but as time passed the dealer took care of me i have no problems with it now other than on some grass it is bad to leave grass.
it bags fine i love there bagging setup, and i love its speed and smoothness, but it really is most of the time a double cut mower but i also have a scag tigercat brand new and so far its been nack and forth double cut one not another, same grass i guess it just happens so. A brand new super z with the correct deck a or b is just as fine a mower as you can get, i love mine and prolly will get another, i decided to try scag out

JohnBanks
07-03-2010, 08:50 AM
did you say you have to double cut quite a bit with the Scag also?

tacoma200
07-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Never did have any luck with an XR7 but our grass/turf is weedy. It did OK in Bermuda or if you cut very short. The Super Z rode and handled good.

lawnspecialties
07-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Never did have any luck with an XR7 but our grass/turf is weedy. It did OK in Bermuda or if you cut very short. The Super Z rode and handled good.

Say here. Handles very well due to low center of gravity.

But in tall fescue that's either moist or just healthy (retaining a lot of moisture), my SuperZs would clog and clump up all day long. I hated them so much, I finally sold them all and went with Gravelys. Great decision.:)

TLS
07-04-2010, 11:47 AM
By playing with different blades, and addition and removal of baffles, I can get it to cut decently. Hustler changed their solid foil blades this past year. They now have a larger lift sail than ever before. Problem is, my little 28 EFI struggles to keep them spinning!

My biggest complaint is the horrible band aid to fix the "Free Flow Triangle" one size fits all filler pieces. Too much crap for grass to stick to back there.

Good thing about the XR-7 is its ability to cut at speed. Also it is the best deck I've ever used on Buckhorn Plantain (and we have a bumper crop this year!).