PDA

View Full Version : Which cool season grass greens up first?

wiseguyslawn
04-03-2010, 03:53 PM
I recall this topin in school few years back, but couldn't remember the answer. I run pretty close to the same program on all of customers and some green up earlier than others. I know there are many variables thrown in, but I know grass type is one. Thanks

Runner
04-03-2010, 07:56 PM
It really has variables on how much nitrogen is in the soil, and soil temps (notice the green up along south sides of buildngs, first), but some really influencing factors are amount of sunlight the grass receives in a more all around fashion. Like touched on above, close to buildings and walls on the south side have heat that reflects down on them, but also light can reflect down on to moer sides, as well. Faces of hillsides and ditches that face up toward the south sky will green up faster, as well. In general, grasses that were cut shorter in the fall will green up through and through faster as there is less plant to go through the process and less dead material above, as well. As far as types of grass, this may be uncertain, but it seems as if the fescues tend to green up faster than say the blue grasses, but this could again be because of the shortness that these are normally cared for during normal cultural practices.

RigglePLC
04-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Kentucky bluegrass greens up slowly around here--but--there are wide differences even among different cultivars of the same species. Ryegrass is probably fastest, but fine fescue is also fast.
Read through the seed company notes for details on whcih grass cultivars and species green up first.
Naturally the southern grasses need about 80 degrees to green up.

SeedPro
04-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Up here in Michigan sodded lawns green up much slower that established seeded lawns of even the same varieties. has to do with soil interface and insulation or cooling capabilities of the sod when planted on generally crap soil.

Not that that answers the OP's question but thought I'd toss it out there.

indyturf
04-03-2010, 10:17 PM
perennial rye greens up fast.. around here most of the new lawns have bluegrass sod in the front and seeded rye in the back, and the rye is green several weeks before the bluegrass. I wish they wouldn't do that!