PDA

View Full Version : hand vibration

Bryan B
04-03-2010, 05:12 PM
just getting started in what plans to be my first full season of cutting i have picked up a few yards and had my first day of cutting yesterday after doing 6 yards my hands wouldn't quit vibrating lol any tips or tricks you vets out there use to help or possibly stop this "problem". i checked some threads on new grips and anti vibration gloves just trying to figure out what's the best bang for my buck.

Thanks- Bryan

yardguy28
04-03-2010, 06:02 PM
i don't really have this problem. i don't do anything. the only time i have shaky hands from using equipment is from doing some major trimming and i mean major or major pruning.

now i've been doing this for 4 years but even when i first started i didn't have this problem.

what kind of equipment are you using? is the shaky hands caused by the trimmer, blower, mower, what???

freshprince94
04-03-2010, 06:17 PM
You get used to it eventually...I tried gloves a few years back and hated them...too hot and not as much dexterity.

Mickhippy
04-03-2010, 07:07 PM
It didnt bother me for the first 10yrs but now I have 2 numb fingers on my left hand! Its not a problem that occurs over night but is accumulative. Very difficult to treat, if at all. I think you can just reduce the symptoms but I will have the problem forever now.
At one stage half my hand was like pins and needle all the time and hyper sensitive. VERY uncomfortable! Playing guitar was very painful and fingers wouldnt go where they were supposed to.
Im sure it was mainly from trimming but also from the stick on the ztr has had some effect. Ive been wearing 1 glove on my bad hand for the last 12mths while trimming and mowing. I recently started taking the glove off while mowing and the numbness has got a little worse so the slight vibes going through the stick does have some effect.
Needless to say, make sure you have the same amount of line out on each side of the trimmer head but other than that I dont think there is much else you can do about it other than wearing a anti vibe glove.

The glove really helped me. Ive lost the pins and needles but fingers are still a little numb!

I'll finish by saying "HAVS" is something to be avoided at all cost!

Some info... http://www.docstoc.com/docs/29142815/WHAT-IS-HAVS--VWF-Hand-Arm-Vibration-Syndrome-(HAVS)-and

44DCNF
04-03-2010, 08:30 PM
MickHippy, you have to try out a dynaflex. Using a gyroscopic or powerball hand/wrist exerciser like the dynabee or dynaflex will help prevent or even remove carple tunnel conditions. It worked great for me. I've had this problem in the past too, where it was painfull and dangerous to ride a motorcycle, difficult to do any hand pruning, I developed trigger finger in one hand, throbbing or numbness, grip weakend over the years as a result, etc. Research them as to how they are used to help with carpal tunnel repetitive use injuries.

Bryan, I suggest you get one and use it to prevent the pain and numbness that might be down the road for you.

Use of them helps build wrist strength throughout your full range of motion, and help prevent injury from the repetitive use motions made during our days work. They improve range of motion and flexibility, muscle strength , and joint support. Just like core strength helps prevent back injury by stabilizing the joints of the spine, these wrist exercisers help protect the wrist/hand/forearm from injury by strengthening all the supporting structure.

Think Green
04-03-2010, 08:54 PM
I agree you Mick, after my 19 years of line trimmer use, hedge trimmer use, and blower use, there isn't a wrist, shoulder, or ankle that doesn't give me trouble. Did I mention rotator cuff discomfort.

Bryan,
There are a lot of choices in equipment that claim to have built in anti vibration controlled shafts and clutch inlets, but anything that vibrates will cause repetitive related user issues. Back years ago, we used to trim push all lawns and bagged them. That was brutal on the legs. Even with all the new comfort seats for the ZTR's it will take it toll on your body. Each year it takes me and my men about 2-3 weeks of practice to get into the swing of the pain again. Eventually, you will get the hang of it and your body will recognize the routine. It is when you change the routine that your body will let you know.

1. Alleve
2. Tylenol
3. Ibuprofren
4. Epsom Salts
5. Compression bands for the knees, ankles, wrists and back stabilizer will help until you get used to it.

unkownfl
04-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Vicodin does the trick for me.

Two Seasons
04-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Try a pair of motocross gloves.

Do they make gel gloves?

unkownfl
04-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Stihl is your problem they all have a ton of harmonics in the handles. I guess it's just how their engines run? I have a husky, redmax, and stihl trimmer and thats the order I find comfortable to use.

Darryl G
04-03-2010, 09:10 PM
I've got a pair of fingerless bicycling gloves if I'm going to be holding a vibrating tool a lot...they have gel pads in the palm.

4 seasons lawn&land
04-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Wow. Seems everyone has come across this issue at one point or another. Never had it at all. What I have had is an Extremely bad vibrating machine like a trimmer with something wrong or a gas drill make my hands and wrists itch alot. Anyone else get that?

yardguy28
04-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Stihl is your problem they all have a ton of harmonics in the handles. I guess it's just how their engines run? I have a husky, redmax, and stihl trimmer and thats the order I find comfortable to use.

maybe you find that to be true but i run strictly stihl equipment and i don't find them any different than any others.

Wow. Seems everyone has come across this issue at one point or another. Never had it at all. What I have had is an Extremely bad vibrating machine like a trimmer with something wrong or a gas drill make my hands and wrists itch alot. Anyone else get that?

glad i'm not the only one who doesn't have that problem. i was beginning to wonder what's so special about me.

i've had the itching after doing something for an extended period of time. but see my day isn't spent on just one machine all day long. i'm solo so i'm always switching from trimmer to edger to mower to blower. purhaps thats why i don't have the problem. i could see where you might if you ran a trimmer all day long and the only rest you got from it was inbetween jobs.

clean_cut
04-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Maybe some of the gloves with padding such as these...

May be a little pricey, but I believe they sell them at lowes, not that selection though, maybe check ebay for them.

Bryan B
04-03-2010, 10:56 PM
thanks for all the feedback i have already assumed that my trimmer and edger being so old are part of the problem,as i know they run ruff(both about 10 yrs old) should have enough profits in the bank to buy new one's in the next month or 2(still sticking with stihl though) maybe that will help untill then i'll try some nice gloves. only doing this part time unless i get enough work year round to quit my full-time job or at least go part time. i do use my hands in both jobs so i know carpel tunnel is something i need to be aware of. once again thanks for all the feedback.

topsites
04-03-2010, 11:33 PM
I've not had this problem in many years, one reason I suspect is I simply set
the cruise control and go to town, once that cruise is set I hold that tool
any which way I feel like.

Read: ALL of my hand held tools have cruise control.
Yes sir :p

Actually the chainsaws don't, but...

LouisianaLawnboy
04-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Make sure your string is the same length.

P&C Lawn Care
04-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Anti vibration gloves might help you but if your just starting out it is your nervous system and muscles causing this. As you do this more often the "vibraton" will go away. KInd of like lifting weights for the first time, your muscles twitch and then get stronger.

StoneFaced
04-04-2010, 01:07 AM
Great discussion fellas. As a vet in the industry, I'd like to share a few things so maybe some of you can do things smarter than I did. First, this business is going to wear out your body prematurely if you do it for any length of time.

I haven't mowed lawns in over 20 years and only did it for a few, but the grips on the mowers are what I blame first for the problems that I have w/ my hands now. Over-usage, overall takes it's toll over time because of the nature of the work. Heavy lifting and the constant squeezing while doing my work over time has caused me some serious issues, whether it was tonging brick, moving heavy trees, slabs of stone, gripping and swinging a hammer for days on end...it all adds up fast. The muscles in my hands contract involuntary for years now,especially when I'm just writing or working on a design drawing. I would compare the pain to getting a charlie horse in your hands.

A few other things include bad knees (my left leg is numb most of the time). Much of that damage I would attribute from doing the one handed leap over the side rail, after loading the salt hopper or unloading tools from the back of the truck, instead of just stepping down off the tire or bumper. The damage is a major lifestyle change.

Add to that list, a torn rotator cuff and numerous back injuries which can keep me bed ridden sometimes just because I sneezed too hard. When I do sneeze, I get shock waves of pain from my chest to my elbows (like when you hit your funny bone). I got frost bite on my fingers w/ nerve damage from grabbing a tow chain bare handed when the temp was below zero...over 12 years ago and now arthritis has been setting in the last few years. My ears have had the "eternal ring", which started in my mid 20's...too much loud music, but mostly from running equipment and forgetting to bring my ear protection...brick and concrete saws are about the worst.

I'll stop there, don't want to sound like a cry baby...but bad habits and carelessness catch up real fast. BTW...I'm only 41 and I've got at least 25 years to go...If I make it that long.

Merkava_4
04-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Your hands are vibrating from WHAT?

That's what I kept asking myself as I read your opening post. :confused:

Pennington Lawncare
04-04-2010, 01:29 AM
The foam grip handles on the Echo trimmers were good as reducing the vibration that made it to your hand but, now I see Echo is putting hard handles on their trimmers like everyone else now. My Husqvarna trimmer is great in every department except for vibration. The engine has plenty of vibration and hard plastic handles so I don't use it any more than I have to. I'm looking for the trimmer with the least vibration possible the next time I go shopping.

Greg78
04-04-2010, 01:53 AM

I agree with this, I just sold a Stihl trimmer that was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever used. I really like my Echo trimmers with the foam handles.

Greg78
04-04-2010, 01:55 AM
I've got a pair of fingerless bicycling gloves if I'm going to be holding a vibrating tool a lot...they have gel pads in the palm.

My dad uses the same type of gloves, he really likes them.

Damian
04-04-2010, 02:05 AM
Reading your post definately conveys the fact that you are suffering from some kind of hand issue...

Snarkiness aside, I used a different mower - a different 21 inch Snapper - for a couple of lawns last year due to placement in the truck, and when I finished, my hands were numb/tingly. I recall this because in the previous 7+ years, I don't think I remember encountering this problem, so I think there is something wrong with the machine. It could be that the hand grip was different, but I suspect it's something else that is causing excessive vibration, like... an attachment piece that is not screwed on tight enough. I surmise this because all I run are 21" Snappers.

And to answer anyones' questions before they are asked: I do this part time, even though it's the only job I have... So... if you notice this with a trimmer as well, I would make sure that everything is screwed tight berfore you find yourself being the one that is screwed (this remark didn't cross the line, did it?)

topsites
04-04-2010, 02:08 AM
I agree with this, I just sold a Stihl trimmer that was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever used. I really like my Echo trimmers with the foam handles.

Oh yeah, ALL of my Stihl stick tools have the Echo foam handles,
a minor inconvenience in terms of cost and modification that's well worth it.

Mickhippy
04-04-2010, 04:30 AM
Everyone will react differently to different things. Some guys will be able to do this work indefinitely while others will suffer from one thing or another.
I wont go into it but I have my fair share of problems from 22yrs or so landscape labourer to my mowing. Im only 41yr old.

I dont see how fingerless gloves are going to help while holding a trimmer. My problem is in my left hand, from holding the loop handle. I dont strain to hold the thing just hooking my fingers around the loop, its purely from the vibrations going into my pinky and ring finger.
I use these... http://www.otbproducts.com.au/safety_products/summerweight_av_gloves.htm

Roger
04-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Interesting discussion. I started doing mowing/trimming/etc about 15 years ago. The first year, I had the problem with tingling hands, a problem I attributed to the trimmer work. The second year, some problem, but not nearly as much. In the third year, and after, I've not had the problem at all. In other words, I "grew out of it." Why? I have no idea. I never used any padded gloves, or gloves of any kind -- always worked bare-handed.

I have not had any significant physical problems, despite working long, hard days for about eight months per year. Yes, I have some stiffness from time to time, and am not as flexible as earlier. But, I don't attribute that to the work, rather just getting older. I was 53 when starting, and am now 68, so the body doesn't work quite like it did at one time.

dishboy
04-04-2010, 10:07 AM

Bingo, we have the winner. Shindiawa t 270 is worlds smoother than my new stihl fr130. Their is a penalty for light and it is vibration and drive strength. not only does it vibrate more the delivery of power to the ground is nowhere as positive. This is REALLY obvious when edging. Low end throttle response sucks also, power is on or off, forget finesse work with this trimmer. I find my 10 year old using my t270 90% of the time.

MileHigh
04-04-2010, 11:30 AM
If my equipment is vibrating...Something is wrong with it.

Messed up head, bent blade.

I've never had problems with vibration in my hands through my equipment, and when I have they immediately get fixed.

Darryl G
04-04-2010, 11:51 AM
If your equipment isn't vibrating, it's not running. You must run Stihl...that's what it does best...sit still...ahahhaha.

All handheld equipment vibrates! Ever notice how if you set a string trimmer down on the trailer with it running it will walk around?

MileHigh
04-04-2010, 12:00 PM
If your equipment isn't vibrating, it's not running.

Na crap, It obviously is vibrating....But If it's vibrating to the point to where I cut six lawns and my hands can't take it....Either I don't belong in this line of work, or my equipment is jacked.

BTW..I despise stihl lawn equipment.

Darryl G
04-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Na crap, It obviously is vibrating....But If it's vibrating to the point to where I cut six lawns and my hands can't take it....Either I don't belong in this line of work, or my equipment is jacked.

BTW..I despise stihl lawn equipment.

Well that's not what you said! You said that if you're equipment was vibrating there was something wrong with it. And then you go on to say you've never had problems with it...and then in the next sentence say you have and had it fixed...so which is it?

It's not my fault you don't make any sense, so no need to get short with me.

MileHigh
04-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Well that's not what you said! You said that if you're equipment was vibrating there was something wrong with it. And then you go on to say you've never had problems with it...and then in the next sentence say you have and had it fixed...so which is it?

It's not my fault you don't make any sense, so no need to get short with me.

I just think that you don't have the ability to think beyond small sentences.

Obviously equipment vibrates...but if it vibrates to the point of messing your hands up after a measly 6 resis, well, something is most likely wrong there.

I never had problems with my HANDS going into shock from vibration, my equipment however has vibrated beyond the norm to where It has had a part replaced...and it's always been a bent blade, or a messed up trimmer head.

Now that I explained that out like your 8 years old..you should get it now. :dizzy:

Darryl G
04-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Dude, now you're repeating yourself...it's bad enough I had to read your nonsense once :p

Listen carefully...this is what you said intially: "If my equipment is vibrating...Something is wrong with it.

Messed up head, bent blade.

I've never had problems with vibration in my hands through my equipment, and when I have they immediately get fixed."

All I did was point out that you were wrong and all equipment vibrates...sorry if I made you look like an idiot in front of your friends...I apologize, OK?

Now that you agree with me and realize you were wrong, can we move on and get back to being constructive here rather than you coping an attitude just because you can't communicate properly?

MileHigh
04-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Dude, now you're repeating yourself...it's bad enough I had to read your nonsense once :p

All I did was point out that you were wrong and all equipment vibrates...sorry if I made you look like an idiot in front of your friends...I apologize, OK?

I've had to repeat myself cause your reading comprehension is as good as my dogs.:clapping:

Oh my....mister gesner. Your so smart saying equipment vibrates.

There is normal vibration...and then there is vibration that kills your hands.

So If it jackin your hands up everybody...Listen to MR gaysner saying...equipment just vibrates man...You sound like a jack arse.

So again for you stupid ones:

If your equipment is VIBRATING to the point of your hands hurting, or feeling like gesners....you might wanna get that checked out.

Communication is not the key here....It's Comprehension.

Darryl G
04-04-2010, 05:41 PM
LOL, what is there to miscomprehend...you said "If my equipment is vibrating...Something is wrong with it."

I was just pointing out that equipment vibrates...this is really getting ridicoulous. I wasn't trying to be a smart butt...I was just pointing out that equipment vibration is a normal thing. Equipment manufactures recognize that and try to attenuate it with dampeners and isolation mounts etc. And they make gloves to help reduce the risks of running vibrating equipment. It's a know fact that it can cause nerve damage with prolonged occupation use of vibrating equipment. Yes, if something is vibrating excessively, there may be something wrong with your equipment, but even equipment that is properly functioning can vibrate to the point of causing health effects with prolonged use.

Again, I'm really sorry if I offended you by pointed out that equipment does not need to be malfunctioning to vibrate. There's really no need for the personal attacks. I assure you that I have very high reading comprehension, but I do have a diffcult time understanding mumbling morons...It's something I'm working on.

Darryl G
04-04-2010, 06:18 PM
For those of you in denial that vibration from handheld equipment can be a problem, here's something to read...there's a lot more technical stuff available but this gives a good overview.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents/vibration/vibration_intro.html

yardguy28
04-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Great discussion fellas. As a vet in the industry, I'd like to share a few things so maybe some of you can do things smarter than I did. First, this business is going to wear out your body prematurely if you do it for any length of time.

For those of you in denial that vibration from handheld equipment can be a problem, here's something to read...there's a lot more technical stuff available but this gives a good overview.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents/vibration/vibration_intro.html

Everyone will react differently to different things. Some guys will be able to do this work indefinitely while others will suffer from one thing or another.
I wont go into it but I have my fair share of problems from 22yrs or so landscape labourer to my mowing. Im only 41yr old.

I dont see how fingerless gloves are going to help while holding a trimmer. My problem is in my left hand, from holding the loop handle. I dont strain to hold the thing just hooking my fingers around the loop, its purely from the vibrations going into my pinky and ring finger.
I use these... http://www.otbproducts.com.au/safety_products/summerweight_av_gloves.htm

agreed 100%. everyone reacts differently to different situations. some guys can do this job forever and NOT suffer from a single problem. other guys will have something sometime........

glad i'm one of the guys who can do it forever.........:weightlifter:

Merkava_4
04-04-2010, 08:52 PM
I assure you that I have very high reading comprehension, but I do have a diffcult time understanding mumbling morons...It's something I'm working on.

mumbling morons? LOL!! :laugh:

Mickhippy
04-04-2010, 09:29 PM
agreed 100%. everyone reacts differently to different situations. some guys can do this job forever and NOT suffer from a single problem. other guys will have something sometime........

glad i'm one of the guys who can do it forever.........:weightlifter:

Dont get cocky mate! Its pretty easy to hurt yourself.

May I ask, how many years have you done, doing this type of work?

Edit... Never mind I just checked your User CP. 1 to 5 yrs is nothing! When you get to over 10yrs straight, come back and tell us how bullet proof you are!:cry:

rain man
11-15-2011, 06:56 PM
We picked up a pair of anti vibration gloves and they help.

Glenn Lawn Care
11-16-2011, 11:27 AM
If its your first time using commercial equipment this will happen until you get use to it. Wear some sort of gloves, that should help.