PDA

View Full Version : thatching with irrigation

crete
04-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Is it okay to run a pull behind rake type dethacher over sprinkler heads when they are down of course without tearing them up?

jasontimm
04-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Yes you will be fine, i have never had an issue.

Think Green
04-03-2010, 08:05 PM
crete,
Don't be fooled so easily. Rainbird and Hunter heads will become dislodged mysteriously.
I carry generic colored lawn flags to mark the heads. Turn on the system and locate each head and mark them. Take the time to do this or take the time to replace some heads at your expense--not the customer. Hunter heads have those rubber protector's on top, and can easily be scraped off. It doesn't really affect the efficiency of the head but will cause dirt and grit to get into the adjustment holes.
The extra concern is for those select few heads that don't go back down after pressure loss in the line. The rake will tear'em up let alone driving over them.

Kartanimal29
04-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Do as Think Green has said. I've been installing Irrigation systems for 18 years and the tines of an thatcher will mess up a sprinkler. It's a lot cheaper just to run a zone and have you partner run around marking head. If you don't have flags use some turf paint to mark them.

nepatsfan
04-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Front tine jrco dethatcher. Never messed up a head with it in 10 years. Almost all my lawns are irrigated.

MileHigh
04-04-2010, 10:44 AM
r u kidding?

Flag any heads that aren't along the perimeter of the turf while power raking or aerating.

nepatsfan
04-04-2010, 08:29 PM
r u kidding?

Flag any heads that aren't along the perimeter of the turf while power raking or aerating.

aerating...absolutely. power raking probably not a bad idea. I have a front tine dethatchers and a power thatcher. The front tine ones work fine. Never had a problem with a head. I thought that was the question, not aerating. I wouldn't consider aerating without the heads marked.