PDA

View Full Version : Need help/opinions on WB/Stander issue

Florida Gardener
04-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Here's the deal

I have a Toro ZM 48" and a 36" Stander. My problem is the yards I use my stander on(backyards) I am having an issue with "nipples" when making turns b/c there is not a lot of room to change cutting directions and it seems my only option is to go the WB route.

I have 2 questions regarding this:
1. My Stander doesn't even have 100 hours and is completely paid off, should I keep it or sell?
2. What WB should I go with? I want a 32" to be able to get to all backyards and I want something tough and easily adjustable as my Stander is the fixed deck.

I also need a 21" what are your opinions on what I should get. I want commercial grade. Thanks for your guys' help.

ed2hess
04-03-2010, 07:22 PM
We got a Snapper Pro 36" last year and like it. It is dual hydro and has adjustable deck and has a brake. The unit is around $3k. It is not as heavy as Scag or Stander but pretty solid. It has greasable spindles from top and all the deck hinge point are greasable.

unkownfl
04-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Get a Lesco 32" super light and cheap as soon as it drys up you'll be using the stander again. I don't have any issues with the stander leaving marks. If its really tight I just mow in reverse like between the house and fence I can't turn around easily in some places.

Florida Gardener
04-03-2010, 07:48 PM
unknown, you dont have any yards(back or front) that you end up cutting in the same spots b/c there is not many ways to make a turn??

unkownfl
04-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Like same path every cutting? Yea I do if that was the question. Sometimes I don't turn I just go forwards and backwards without turning saves time and doesn't leave the turning ring in the grass like if you were to do a turn using the outside wheel only.

ed2hess
04-03-2010, 09:59 PM
unknown, you dont have any yards(back or front) that you end up cutting in the same spots b/c there is not many ways to make a turn??

We have that problem also with Sentar 36" and that is why we are moving away from those type of units. Can't ride on a 36" unit and NOT smash down the sod/soil.

Florida Gardener
04-03-2010, 10:35 PM
ed, what is the size difference(tires) b/t a stander and a w/b?

ed2hess
04-03-2010, 10:43 PM
ed, what is the size difference(tires) b/t a stander and a w/b?

Tires about same size or larger on Sentar but the added weight of the rider seems to cause the problem. But that Sentar is jumpy on turns and there is a little less turning damage. I think that when the guys are riding they tend to go over stuff more times than when they are walking. And customers don't like see us riding around in little yards and some have asked us to go back to the dreaded 21".

freshprince94
04-03-2010, 10:58 PM
I have a lot of yards like that so I know your problem. I use a 36" Gravely w/b and encounter the same issue. Not much you can do other than rake out the marks. I have this problem with the easement strips of grass that are too thin to change cutting directions on.

sdk1959
04-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Instead of a 21" commercial mower I go with this 230Lb 30" American Made commercial walk-behind mower by Sarlo in the link below model 1030-3SPSW:

http://www.sarlomower.com/commerce.htm

Florida Gardener
04-04-2010, 09:52 AM
is the only option then a 21"??? The yards i have an issue with would take waaayyy more time if i had to use a 21".....i thought the 32" w/b was my answer???

sdk1959
04-04-2010, 10:36 PM
is the only option then a 21"??? The yards i have an issue with would take waaayyy more time if i had to use a 21".....i thought the 32" w/b was my answer???

If you have many yards to do that have a 32" gate a 32" W/B will be useless for cutting the backyard because it won't fit through the gate, you need a 30" W/B with a mulch plate. I'll repost the info from my previous post #10 below. You'll save about 25% time and effort using a 30" mower vs using a 21" mower.

Instead of a 21" commercial mower I go with this 230Lb 30" 11.5HP American Made commercial walk-behind mower by Sarlo in the link below model 1030-3SPSW:

http://www.sarlomower.com/commerce.htm

Florida Gardener
04-04-2010, 10:39 PM
a 32" isnt an issue as i already run a 36"....the issue is the tires and weight of rider.

i am a little leary in using that mower as i have never even heard of it before or seen anyone using it.

sdk1959
04-04-2010, 11:19 PM
a 32" isnt an issue as i already run a 36"....the issue is the tires and weight of rider.

i am a little Leary in using that mower as i have never even heard of it before or seen anyone using it.

Sarlo has been in business since 1935, years before some of the founders and owners of newer companies (ex:Better Outdoor Products) were even born. http://www.sarlomower.com/

A company that offers a product or service that advertises frequently and the NAME but NOT the quality of the product or service becomes well known it usually means they get little or no repeat & referral business and they constantly have to find new customers.

Think about it, shady contractors, lawyers, painters etc that constantly have big ads in the newspaper and phone book, think they get a lot of referrals & repeat business? NOPE, not a chance.

A contractor that was referred to a friend of mine remodeled his bathroom and did a outstanding job. My friend never heard of him, he doesn't have big ads in the paper and phone book, hasn't advertised in years in fact. All his business is repeat customers and referrals. That's what you want to strive for in your own business.

A common human misconception is we think if we heard or seen the name of a business it MUST be good- in many cases no- just the opposite.

lifetree
04-15-2010, 06:32 AM
Sarlo has been in business since 1935, years before some of the founders and owners of newer companies ...

Yes, I can vouch for this ... I remember when I was growing up (a long time ago) and a neighbor down the street had a Sarlo mower ... it was considered top grade machine at that time !!

sdk -- I've been thinking about getting a Sarlo machine, a few questions for you ...

1.) How long have you had yours ?
2.) Does it have a reverse gear on it ?
3.) Is the engine full pressure, or, splash lubrication ?
4.) How does it do on hills and slopes ?
5.) In general, how does the machine handle ?
6.) Do you use it just for back yards, or, for more general commercial cutting jobs as well ?
7.) It looks like a single axle (i.e.-not dual drive), therefore, do you have to use your body
weight to help "turn" the machine since it has front swivel wheels ?
8.) According to the Sarlo technical specifications it is a 12 guage deck, how does this hold
up to your commercial use of the machine ?

Any other comments you can make about the machne would be appreciated.

sdk1959
04-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Yes, I can vouch for this ... I remember when I was growing up (a long time ago) and a neighbor down the street had a Sarlo mower ... it was considered top grade machine at that time !!

sdk -- I've been thinking about getting a Sarlo machine, a few questions for you ...

1.) How long have you had yours ?
2.) Does it have a reverse gear on it ?
3.) Is the engine full pressure, or, splash lubrication ?
4.) How does it do on hills and slopes ?
5.) In general, how does the machine handle ?
6.) Do you use it just for back yards, or, for more general commercial cutting jobs as well ?
7.) It looks like a single axle (i.e.-not dual drive), therefore, do you have to use your body
weight to help "turn" the machine since it has front swivel wheels ?
8.) According to the Sarlo technical specifications it is a 12 guage deck, how does this hold
up to your commercial use of the machine ?

Any other comments you can make about the machine would be appreciated.

My son started a lawn service last year, I helped him start it, get customers, help him cut some accounts etc. We both talked about getting a walk-behind but wanted something that would fit through a 32" gate and nimble enough to do the yards with a lot of obstacles. Plus more power than 6Hp 21" to cut though tall or damp grass. A 32" or 36" W/B would not do. In fact he borrows a friends 36" W/B who's in the business to do some yards. While it's ok in most front yards they are not big enough to use the Sulky and you can't fit it though the small gates some yards have.

We both looked online at the end of March and both came up with the same mower- the 30" Sarlo. He wants to order one the first week of May, by then he'll have saved up the $1700 he needs with PA sales tax and shipping. I support him 100% in his decision to buy the Sarlo mower from Northern Tool.

To answer some of your questions.

The mower does not have a reverse but with a weight of only 221Lbs and the high rear wheels it can be easily pulled back. It's not the 350-400Lbs that most belt and hydro drive W/B's weigh so it should not have to be manhandled to pull it back or work on slopes. It's 11.5HP so it should cut though thick,high or damp grass easily without bogging down.

The other questions will have to wait till we use it.

I'll give you a full report (and maybe some pictures too) when we get the 30" Sarlo mower.

Good luck this year!

Greg78
04-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Sarlos are nice mowers. Very tough. I see a lot of them around here. I deal with the owners of Sarlo (super nice and a pleasure to deal with) as they are also the Exmark dealer here.

lifetree
04-19-2010, 11:00 PM
... buy the Sarlo mower from Northern Tool. ...

That's interesting, I didn't know that NT carried the Sarlo brand !!

Florida Gardener
04-19-2010, 11:10 PM
unknown,

i took your advice and in tighter areas i just go back and forth without the turns and it is def. working.....i can't believe i didnt think of it before....

unkownfl
04-20-2010, 10:35 AM
unknown,

i took your advice and in tighter areas i just go back and forth without the turns and it is def. working.....i can't believe i didnt think of it before....

Cool, lucky for us we don't have to worry about striping.