PDA

View Full Version : This one burns me

rjh4758
04-03-2010, 09:15 PM
I got started a little late advertising this year and I have been hitting it hard the last week. I have had ads in the paper and craigslist the last 4 weeks, and hung door hangers most of this past week.

Today I got my first call saying that they had received a flyer of mine from a friend and would like to get some prices . The guy sounded like he might have been drinking as I had a hard time understanding what he was saying. I had to listen to the message 3 times just to get the number right.

Although from the sound of it they would just be price shopping looking for cheapo lawn service but I was still exited to finally get a response from all the advertising I had been doing.

I dial the number and after several rings an answering machine picked up and this is what I heard " This is Bill and I do lawn mowing, brush clearing, leaf removal and other work. Just leave your name and number and we will call you back."

Talk about a let down. The only call I get is someone wanting to compare prices with his competition.

clean_cut
04-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Ouch, at least he doesn't sound like much real "competition" to you :)

Keep up the good work and I'm sure some more customers will come your way!

Happy Easter!

Bryan B
04-03-2010, 10:02 PM
IMO who cares what other ppl charge. i know what i will and will not work for i'm not going to lower my prices just because someone else wants to work dirt cheap. i've had flyers dropped on my driveway before and would never call for a price your "competition" is a joke if he's all you have to worry about your good to go. keep it up they will call. i put out about 500 flyers 7-10 days ago and just started getting calls this week.

rjh4758
04-03-2010, 10:24 PM
When I called I called from my wireless number and I got a call back about a half hour ago. I saw the number and just decided not to answer so they left a message " Hi this is Bill's girl calling you back we saw that we had a missed call and he asked me to call back". Very professional I think:dizzy:

Bryan B
04-03-2010, 10:25 PM
you should call him back and tell him thanks for the confidence boost,knowing you have competition like him will make you sleep better

topsites
04-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Yup, some folks just don't get it.

clean_cut
04-03-2010, 10:29 PM
you should call him back and tell him thanks for the confidence boost,knowing you have competition like him will make you sleep better

LOL, that would truly burn... For him :rolleyes:

rjh4758
04-04-2010, 06:18 AM
All I can say is that as unproffesional as this guy is I need not worry about lossing work to him. Any customers he gets I surely would not want anyway. But just the fact that he would have the gale to pose as a customer to compare prices shocked me. Anyone else ever had to deal with someone doing this to them?
Posted via Mobile Device

Charles
04-04-2010, 07:44 AM
I don't know why it would shock anybody. This happens to me every year. Newbies calling around, posing as customers, to find out what the rates are. Usually they want you to give it out over the phone or a drive by. You solve that by saying you have to meet with them in person. They usually start stuttering then:laugh:

BearWise Landscapers
04-06-2010, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't worry about him. Keep up the advertising and more actual clients will come.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-06-2010, 03:53 PM
You should ask him for a quote on your own lawn:)

WHIPPLE5.7
04-06-2010, 04:02 PM
You should ask him for a quote on your own lawn:)

Damn you guys are rookies, that wouldn't get him. Call him and ask him what area he covers, then make up an address about 15 miles from there and say you can't find anyone so you'll pay extar for the trip. Then they go on wild goose way out of there area for address that doesn't exist. Wait a week and have a female call them and them and do it all over again. Once this has happened a few times they will go back to work pushing in the carts at Wally World.