PDA

View Full Version : unused landscape beds

sampler
04-04-2010, 12:30 AM
I'm just starting and a part timer and now have a total of two yards. Both are single mothers that rent. Both have areas that have landscape timbers around them where some of the shrubs are gone and the grass/weeds are grown up.

All I did was weedeat those raised beds. Is that the standard thing to do? This is probably a dumb question. One is about an acre with a septic tank and she wants it cut every two week. I charge her $50.

I get $35 for the other one and it might be average.

An input would be welcome.

rjh4758
04-04-2010, 01:13 AM
First your prices are low but hey we all have to have a start somewhere and get our name out right?

Your prices will lead me to ask this, do you have insurance? Because if not this type of account can be your undoing because if something happens the tenant and/or the landlord can come after you. I have rental properties and know the excusses tenants will give for broken stuff. So if something gets broken outside or a window gets cracked or broken you will be the first person that is going to get the blame.

But here is my answer to your question:

The beds should be sprayed to kill off the weeds then plant new shrubs and mulch. But I don't see it happening because they are renters and aren't going to invest more than they have to. But they could be sprayed with round-up to kill off the weeds as they appear to save trimming them every time. But you will need a license to apply pesticides to do that as a business. I would assume you do not have a license to apply pesticides so I would just do as you are and trim them down with a string trimmer.

StoneFaced
04-04-2010, 01:28 AM
Hate to say it, but single mothers probably aren't going to help a whole lot when it comes to making money or experiencing growth. Your prices sound low to me, but then again I don't cut lawns. If that is what your starting out with, then maybe raise your rates a little and give them an incentive to reduce the rates by getting you referrals, because it's very unlikely for them to spend more than they absolutely have to.