PDA

View Full Version : Better vs Exmark vs Toro

milkie62
04-03-2010, 11:55 PM
I need something in the 36" walkbehind.My 44" Toro belt drive is not very good on the hills and too bulky around trees and such at least for me.How do these 3 mowers stack up against each other.Definetly want the dual hydro for the hills.

1whitetail
04-04-2010, 12:08 AM
By what I have read the Better is not in the same league as Exmark or Toro. They are good quality but their deck design is not the best especially when mulching.

milkie62
04-04-2010, 12:18 AM
I tried out a buddies hydro,so now my belt drive has to go.I am constantly fighting it on the hills trying to go around trees and things.I did demo a Ferris 32" single hydro and it was worse than my Toro 44" belt drive.Took it back after one lawn.It seemed like the Better was similar,just cutting out the middleman.Hopefully more people will post here.

doubleedge
04-04-2010, 12:36 AM
The Quick Dually has excellent controls and smooth hydraulics, and cuts well when the grass isn't overgrown. It mulches poorly and isn't good in wet grass, however.

Greg78
04-04-2010, 12:39 AM
I've owned both a Quick and an Exmark TTHP, guess which one I still own? The Exmark TTHP.

The only way I'd own another Quick is if I was going to use it solely as a mower for gated yards, even then I'd rather use the TT or if I was a homeowner only cutting my own property.

Nothing against the Quick, but I feel after using one for a year, albeit only about 20 hours worth, that the sing hydro Quick is really only an entry level machine and I wouldn't want it to be my main mower.

Can't comment on the Quick Dually as I've never used one.

The quality of cut is about the same (at least on our grasses) with the edge going to the TT because it does better in wet grass and or thicker grass.

Customer service for me was a toss up.

Great service from BOP. I have called many times and spoke with Tommy or Gary and they answered all my questions, sent out free parts with free shipping and also some touch-up paint also free of charge and free shipping.

I have a great relationship with my Exmark dealer. Just last week I managed to break a governor spring, I go into the dealer, he don't have one will have to order it. He then says let me call over to the other store, nope they don't have it either, he then says to go into the shop area and see if the mechanic has one laying around, the mechanic does and even says he'll put it on for me..... didn't have the mower with me so he gave it to me no charge.

One time went in there because mower was making a terrible noise. Mechanic comes out listens to it. Needs lifters replaced. The mechanic goes back in grabs the lifters off the shelf and before I can even pay for them he has them installed and doing the break in on them. Paid for the lifters but no charge on labor.

That service is why I don't hesitate to pay a couple bucks extra for the parts and supplies I need.

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 08:59 AM
The Quick Dually has excellent controls and smooth hydraulics, and cuts well when the grass isn't overgrown. It mulches poorly and isn't good in wet grass, however.

Is this just what you read or do you have one and have actual experience with a BOP?

This lawn was cut right after a heavy downpour from a thunderstorm. It even striped the lawn in wet grass. :)
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/CIMG0426.jpg

milkie62
04-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Drivetrain wise there must be a big difference between the single and dual hydro.I know the 32" Ferris I tried was not worth the money IMO.I want something to use in treed areas that my zero-turn with bagger would have trouble in.Also since I am part-time,I also want something that can be put in the truck along with a garbage can for grass and trimmer so I can hit the couple of lawns I have on the way home from work(I work midnites).I do not have a route per say so I just try and save time since my closest lawn to home is 12 miles.I live in a farming area and evrybody out here does there own lawn.At 8 mpg towing a trailer I need to be efficient with my truck.
Read some posts on the BETTER and it seemed like a well thought out machine.

I use a 33" Troy-Bilt wide cut that is an original proto-type from the factory.A buddy was on the production team.He told me to keep it after trying it.It is OK but belt drive and horrible on side hills.This one and the Toro 44" belt drive have to go and get a dual hydro.

doubleedge
04-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Is this just what you read or do you have one and have actual experience with a BOP?

This lawn was cut right after a heavy downpour from a thunderstorm. It even striped the lawn in wet grass. :)
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/CIMG0426.jpg

Experience; I have over 200 hours on my 36" dually.