PDA

View Full Version : We need a new trimmer thread

Merkava_4
04-04-2010, 05:01 AM
Somebody please start a trimmer thread. I've read all the archives about string trimmers and I need some new material to read; so please start a new thread. You can say anything related to string trimmers. :)

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Somebody please start a trimmer thread. I've read all the archives about string trimmers and I need some new material to read; so please start a new thread. You can say anything related to string trimmers. :)

There's no way you read all of them. Keep digging. :)

ProcsLC
04-04-2010, 10:19 AM
It kind of looks like you started your own here...

We just picked up a new Dolmar commercial trimmer yesterday after a buddy of mine has had them on his truck for the past 2 seasons and swears by them... For $210 bucks we bought one and its light, real light at just under 7 lbs... Did my own grass and one property with it yesterday and liked it a lot... Hows that for a new trimmer thread start??

MileHigh
04-04-2010, 10:26 AM
I don't talk about the trimmers...

Just the heads:

SpeedFeed.

Jason Rose
04-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Ok, I was at my Stihl dealer yesterday and noticed they have their version of the SpeedFeed head out now. Anyone use it? Does it work as it's supposed to? Can the line be wound on it without binding up, and does it feed out right? It was $34, and I had my doubts about it... I ended up just grabbing a spare spool for my standard bump feed head so I can have one ready to go all the time.

piediddy
04-04-2010, 12:37 PM

We just picked up a new Dolmar commercial trimmer yesterday after a buddy of mine has had them on his truck for the past 2 seasons and swears by them... For $210 bucks we bought one and its light, real light at just under 7 lbs... Did my own grass and one property with it yesterday and liked it a lot... Hows that for a new trimmer thread start?? 7lbs? what cc engine this has and hp numbers?

Triplex
04-04-2010, 09:27 PM

You at least read the damn archives - I get sick of all the people who don't know how to use the search feature!

If you've already read the old threads about trimmers, you should know that the question of which one is the best will never be resolved!

bare spot
04-04-2010, 10:48 PM

We just picked up a new Dolmar commercial trimmer yesterday after a buddy of mine has had them on his truck for the past 2 seasons and swears by them... For $210 bucks we bought one and its light, real light at just under 7 lbs... Did my own grass and one property with it yesterday and liked it a lot... Hows that for a new trimmer thread start??

is that the ms-22-c, wonder if still made, have one here from a few yrs ago, like it. picked up a robin since (2450), use that more. work solo but both get used at different times.

bigtrigg
05-15-2010, 01:30 AM
i just started working for a lawn care company last year and all i have done since is trim. i am in love with it, i think about it even when i'm not doing it lol. i'm thinking of buying my first commercial trimmer and thinking of getting a dolmar. held one today and it felt so great in my hands. cant wait to go back and test all of them out.

Alan0354
05-15-2010, 03:06 AM

I am game, what trimmer you want to talk about?

I want to hear more about Maruyama. I somehow keep attracted to Maruyama.

Alan0354
05-15-2010, 03:08 AM
You at least read the damn archives - I get sick of all the people who don't know how to use the search feature!

If you've already read the old threads about trimmers, you should know that the question of which one is the best will never be resolved!

Don't worry, he is like me, most likely read all of them and still want more!!!!:laugh::laugh:

We are two of the kind!!!!:laugh::laugh:

AOD
05-15-2010, 08:13 AM
I run crappy trimmers. I will continue to until I blow them all up, then I'll get a good one. I don't notice any difference in cut, power or productivity between the resi trimmers I run now and commercials, and the McCulloch Titan I have refuses to die after nearly 9 years of abuse!

I just picked up another $10 Ryobi.

MOW ED
05-15-2010, 09:25 AM
I am in the same boat as Mr. AOD above. I buy a cheepy trimmer and run the crap out of it until something gives. I don't have a ton of weekly trimming so the last for years and I have pretty good luck with this. I am not cheeping out on any of my other equipment as everything else is high quality commercial stuff but I just can't get myself to buy a commercial trimmer.

AOD
05-15-2010, 11:08 AM
I am in the same boat as Mr. AOD above. I buy a cheepy trimmer and run the crap out of it until something gives. I don't have a ton of weekly trimming so the last for years and I have pretty good luck with this. I am not cheeping out on any of my other equipment as everything else is high quality commercial stuff but I just can't get myself to buy a commercial trimmer.

+1. I ain't knockin any of the good commercial trimmers, most of them are very nice machines, but I don't do enough trimming to really need one. I rarely trim every week, usually bi-weekly, and most of my stuff is either small town yards or wide open mowing. I don't exceed 3 tanks a week through my 32L, sometimes I run my Mac for a change of pace. My point is I can't justify spending big bucks on a commercial trimmer at this rate, it's not like a mower or something.

Alan0354
05-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Hey guys, this thread is about TOYS, not about practicality!!!:laugh::laugh:

My oldest Troybilt still kicking after years of abused and my most expensive Honda had been in the shop before!!!

I am sure most of the people here know if you want a small trimmer, get the Echo SRM225 or if you need a big trimmer, get the Husky 125, both for only $200 and you get years of service and it light weight. Just get a Speedfeed head and you are good to go.

BUT that is so beside the point!!! And to me, this is the secret of the success of this forum.................There are enough people with different degrees of OCD that keep coming for more. And this is like political campaign, each coming with there own aganda and candidate ( trimmer brand ) and do the spinning.........literally!!! This is what keep the site going. Reading old trimmer thread is like beating the dead horse of 2008 presidential campaign..............Just old!!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Jason Rose
05-15-2010, 12:37 PM
No way could I have a "cheepie" trimmer. Just an estimate, my trimmer gets 2 to 3 hours a DAY put on it. No way a cheapo is going to hold up to that. Not to mention, I've used many a cheapo in my day, and good commercial trimmers are worth their weight in gold. So much more power and torque and they generally weigh the same or LESS than the cheapo!

What's sad is how the EPA has killed 2 stroke engines. I've had my Stihl 4 mix trimmer for about a year now, and though it starts easy, that's about the only part of it I like. It's heavy and awquard otherwise. I don't like that I can't run the engine as slowly as I need to many times because it stalls if it's ran at less than about 3/4 throttle. The 2 stroke husqvarna uses about half the trimmer line because of it's ability to run at lower RPM's. It's the gear ratio in the head gear, I know.

If I could ever get my RedMax to actually run consistantly (damn EPA leaned out problem again) I'd put the 4-mix in the shed for a while.

mowerbrad
05-15-2010, 12:42 PM
I've only used stihl since I started mowing lawns at a young age. I bought my first one probably 7 years ago, FS46, and I still have it to this day. It mostly sits in my shed but I start it up every once in a while and it still runs and works just fine. About 3 years ago I bought my FS100RX and couldn't be more pleased. It starts easy, lots of power and light weight. I also have the trimmer attachment for my KM110R (stihl kombi), I haven't really had the opportunity to use it much yet, but so far I like it, but it still looks almost brand new. It'll be more used for a backup or second trimmer if I need one ever. Its got more than enough power to do all the trimming jobs that I do.

Now, about stihl's version of the "speedfeed head", I actually do have one. Its the autocut C 25-2. I just put it on my FS100RX the other week, so I haven't really had much chance to change the line while its been mounted. I bought the head last year and just never got around to changing out the original head (which was still perfectly good), but I finally did. I was able to reload it a couple times before mounting it on the trimmer, I was just playing around with it, and it loads pretty good. You do have to have 2 pieces of line cut to load the head, not just one. It definately loads faster than the standard type heads, since you don't have to take the head apart. I haven't had any problems with it feeding line out yet, so I'm pleased.

I bleed green with a hint of orange, so I will never buy some "off" brand :)

Alan0354
05-15-2010, 01:00 PM
If I can get pass my wife, I really would like to get the FS250 and Shindaiwa T272 before they really discontinue them. Then I would want a Kawasaki KGT27 and then maybe a FS100 and see what you all guys are raving and fussing about.

mbrew
05-15-2010, 01:11 PM
My Ryobi wouldn't run so I started working on it. The fuel line broke and it looks like you have to buy a tank to get new fuel lines and a fuel filter. It will be a washing machine next month.

I really don't know what to buy to replace it. I really like orange, but red is ok too. Which color do y'all think is the most durable?

I am interested in the new Stihl head, but even though I like orange Stihls lack of online parts and parts diagrams really irritates me!

Mike

Alan0354
05-15-2010, 01:23 PM
All I can tell you, I have been looking for the IPL of Stihl HS45 and HS81 and nobody seems to have them. If I cannot get the IPL, I am not going to buy any of them. It is their loss. There are other brands just as good and provide IPL, easy to order parts. Just the other day, I was looking into building an extension for my Shindy M242 and I can just find all the parts online. YOu force me to only go to the dealer, I'll buy another brand. In this regard, I am not that OCD keep going for more!!!! I refuse to have to bring my stuff to the dealer so they can charge me hundreds of dollars. I got burnt by dealer once, and that was one too many.

AOD
05-15-2010, 04:28 PM
My Ryobi wouldn't run so I started working on it. The fuel line broke and it looks like you have to buy a tank to get new fuel lines and a fuel filter. It will be a washing machine next month.

I really don't know what to buy to replace it. I really like orange, but red is ok too. Which color do y'all think is the most durable?

I am interested in the new Stihl head, but even though I like orange Stihls lack of online parts and parts diagrams really irritates me!

Mike

Just go to any dealer and get replacement Tygon line, they have it in lots of sizes. Same with a fuel filter, just put a Husky filter on it.

nepatsfan
05-15-2010, 04:32 PM
redmax. best trimmer you can buy. I have used them all.

Alan0354
05-15-2010, 04:55 PM
redmax. best trimmer you can buy. I have used them all.

You don't have cold start and warmup problem. Seems like there are a lot of posts complaining about the new Strato trimmers. I went to Shindaiwa after reading all the horror stories.

nepatsfan
05-15-2010, 04:59 PM
You don't have cold start and warmup problem. Seems like there are a lot of posts complaining about the new Strato trimmers. I went to Shindaiwa after reading all the horror stories.

No. Usually 2-3 pulls start them cold. 1 pull on every lawn. I have one stamped 1998 that still runs. I have a few newer ones too including one I just bought at the beginning of the season and several blowers. Redmax is hands down the best.

Alan0354
05-15-2010, 05:10 PM
No. Usually 2-3 pulls start them cold. 1 pull on every lawn. I have one stamped 1998 that still runs. I have a few newer ones too including one I just bought at the beginning of the season and several blowers. Redmax is hands down the best.

I know the problem is not with the strato blowers, you have the new strato engine trimmer?

nepatsfan
05-15-2010, 05:22 PM
I know the problem is not with the strato blowers, you have the new strato engine trimmer?

two of them

Alan0354
05-15-2010, 06:48 PM
two of them

Thanks, good to know.:waving:

GlynnC
05-15-2010, 06:59 PM

Mike

You do not have to change tank to change fuel lines and filter on Ryobi--I've probably changed 50 of them--buy a new trimmer if you want to, but not because the fuel lines cannot be replaced on the Ryobi.

mbrew
05-15-2010, 07:48 PM
You do not have to change tank to change fuel lines and filter on Ryobi--I've probably changed 50 of them--buy a new trimmer if you want to, but not because the fuel lines cannot be replaced on the Ryobi.

Actually, my first two paragraphs were kind of tongue in cheek, although I am going to replace the Ryobi. Our own place was never trimmed regularly because of that hunk of junk. It was mostly trouble with the feed head, but anytime I went to work on the power head it always seemed as though it was engineered to be a throw away - so I'm finally doing just that. I normally pride myself with keeping things running, but not on this one anymore.

I'll probably buy an upper end husky for the next one. The 128LDx with a Speedfeed head has been real good, but I'm working it pretty hard and I'd like a little longer shaft to save my back.

I'd like to entertain the Stihls. I have a couple of pieces of theirs that are pretty good, but if they need anything, every dealer around here will want it for 3 weeks and I can't order my own parts or even look them up for my self. I can't stand that

Alan0354
05-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Actually, my first two paragraphs were kind of tongue in cheek, although I am going to replace the Ryobi. Our own place was never trimmed regularly because of that hunk of junk. It was mostly trouble with the feed head, but anytime I went to work on the power head it always seemed as though it was engineered to be a throw away - so I'm finally doing just that. I normally pride myself with keeping things running, but not on this one anymore.

I'll probably buy an upper end husky for the next one. The 128LDx with a Speedfeed head has been real good, but I'm working it pretty hard and I'd like a little longer shaft to save my back.

I'd like to entertain the Stihls. I have a couple of pieces of theirs that are pretty good, but if they need anything, every dealer around here will want it for 3 weeks and I can't order my own parts or even look them up for my self. I can't stand that

Well, there is a thread about trimmer for tall people. Tanaka seems to be the only one that sell longer trimmer. When I did research on a hedge trimmer, I corresponded with Tanaka people, they seem to be very responsive. Even they don't have dealership, they do have service centers around. You have to email to them and ask where the service center is in your area. I am leaning towards Tanaka regarding to the hedge trimmer for the moment.

Yes, the company support is important. I wrote to Stihl, Shindaiwa and nobody take the time to address my question. I was surprised that Tanaka and Husqvarna were very good in answering questions. They both reply within a day.

Look at Tanaka and maybe Shindaiwa. You can find parts of SHindy very easy, I am at the process of building a coupler to make an extension for my SHindaiwa M242, no problem what so ever finding the parts. I am very disappointed with Stihl that they keep their stuff secret. That is a big turn off. Seems like Stihl and the dealers are like government and the union. They are in bed with each other and you loose!!! I just posted a few days ago innociently asking for the IPL of HS45 and HS81. I am so surprised it is so unavailable!!! I thought it's just me not finding it.:hammerhead::hammerhead:

trimmerman151
05-15-2010, 10:49 PM
what kind of handle do you have on your ryobi mbrew does it look like a sideways walking cane because i used a handle form a troy built, them and ryobi are the same and it saves my back alot and I can get a bigger swath back and forth. I dont know works for me.

GardnerLandscaping
05-16-2010, 12:31 AM
because old threads should never be bumped with the search feature

GardnerLandscaping
05-16-2010, 12:46 AM
my old thread must have disappeared. i did get the newer redmax head since i couldn't find a local shindawai dealer. the stihl kombi is heavy compared to the husky 125, but it does a better job at mowing and seems to give a better edge because it doesn't kick out of place like the lightweight husky. i still use the string trimmer where i used the blade edger to make sure the blade edger did it's job good enough. it's nice being able to put a clean edge on bermuda with a string trimmer -- it's just not as tight, especially with fescue and weed lawns. i can finally put a real edge on my dad's zysogia too. i'll keep the husky for back-up but i'll need to replace the head and safety throttle.

why would anyone use a ryobi or other brands? i'm even skeptical of the stihl 25-2 c head because it still has a homelite-like notch design bump head, just in a worse placement, near the bumper where they tend to collect dust. i'd use the husky head if lowe's carried the bumper and cover replacements for $10 instead of having to buy the whole assembly for $30. there are decent residential models out, such as the husky, where you don't have to spend most of your time messing with the string trimmer line and fixing it. the echo's at home depot probably aren't bad either. the extra hp and weight is useful for mowing grass and edging ... i'm just going to hate the weight when i have to clean up a new customer's wooded yard again.

mbrew
05-16-2010, 03:50 PM
what kind of handle do you have on your ryobi mbrew does it look like a sideways walking cane because i used a handle form a troy built, them and ryobi are the same and it saves my back alot and I can get a bigger swath back and forth. I dont know works for me.

I had an older one with the J handle, and it was better, but this latest one had a d handle similar to the echo and husky. I wish others companies would catch on to the echo padded handle. That thing is comfortable. The Ryobi and Husqvarna that I have are both a little shorter than most pro equipment out there. I might try a j handle on the Husky that I'm keeping.

Just how long can we keep a nondescript thread on trimmers alive do you think?

Mike

MikeKle
05-16-2010, 03:56 PM
You want to talk trimmers, well, how about the craftsman line or Ryobi or even better the "weed-eater" brand?!!!! CMON, you gotta love an $80 trimmer with a plastic carbureator?!! Or anyone tried the new propane trimmers? They sell them at Sears, but I am leery of any trimmer sold there, I will wait until I see one at my dealers! I would love to try Maurayama or Robin, Ive never heard anything negative about Maurys, love the 5 yr warranty too! Id have to go 4 states away to buy one though, unless I can buy them online?

Alan0354
05-16-2010, 04:26 PM
You want to talk trimmers, well, how about the craftsman line or Ryobi or even better the "weed-eater" brand?!!!! CMON, you gotta love an $80 trimmer with a plastic carbureator?!! Or anyone tried the new propane trimmers? They sell them at Sears, but I am leery of any trimmer sold there, I will wait until I see one at my dealers! I would love to try Maurayama or Robin, Ive never heard anything negative about Maurys, love the 5 yr warranty too! Id have to go 4 states away to buy one though, unless I can buy them online?

It's your lucky day!!!:laugh:

http://www.turfeagle.com/products/gastrim.html

I always like Maruyama. I have their big blower, so far so good. I have dealer here. In fact I was playing with the 2320 22.5cc trimmer yesterday. Only $269, very good balance. Too bad Turfeagle raise their price in Maru. Just haft a year ago, you can get the BL8100 blower for $359( one I have), their hedge trimmer are cheap too. Not anymore, seems like they are getting popular and the price gone up.

I don't knock my old Troybilt trimmer, but you tall guys won't like it. It is even too short for me.

Ballard Lawn Care
05-25-2010, 07:46 PM
ryobi 2 cycle starts great butt after warmed up is hell to start again HELP....

hackitdown
05-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Stihl FS90 with SpeedFeed heads is my new setup. I am happy with them.

s2000zr
05-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Stihl FS90 with SpeedFeed heads is my new setup. I am happy with them.

where did you get your speedfeed for the fs90? I call my shindy dealer and he said he dont have anything that would fit a stihl>

Jason Rose
05-26-2010, 12:54 AM
where did you get your speedfeed for the fs90? I call my shindy dealer and he said he dont have anything that would fit a stihl>

?? Call your stihl dealer. They have one of their own now. Also The speed feed head does come in a "universal" model besides the Shindiwa only one. However, maybe they don't fit Stihl. Have not tried the Stihl "speed feed", or any of them actually. I like the heads I have...

hackitdown
05-26-2010, 07:35 PM
The Stihl product that is supposed to be like a Shindy Speedfeed is not a good product. At least not the ones I bought last year. It won't take thick line, you need to cut 2 pieces of line, and it is a pain to wind the line into the head.

The Shindy application guide that says which part # to order is impossible to figure out. But just buy the head that says it comes with all the adapters. It works with the FS90. I think I bought the 78890-21000 450 LH.

It is quick, easy, simple to use.

Butler Landscaping
05-26-2010, 08:09 PM
i have a Stihl FS80R...i love it. sucks they dont make it anymore. im trying to buy up a couple so when mine dies ill still have one

dougdm
05-26-2010, 08:10 PM
I have an old fs55 that the head is junk (destroyed), on this speed feed head I see the 450 handles 20' is that 10 on each side or 20 on each side. My current ones handle roughly 10-12 on each, but I do have to take them apart. I'm thinking of trying one to see if it is the best thing EVER. So I hear. :laugh::laugh:

Just curious
doug

PROCUTS LAWNCARE
05-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Echo 260s best trimmer by far!!!

Mario

Dave88LX
06-19-2010, 07:40 AM
I am sure most of the people here know if you want a small trimmer, get the Echo SRM225 or if you need a big trimmer, get the Husky 125, both for only $200 and you get years of service and it light weight. Just get a Speedfeed head and you are good to go.SRM-225, SRM-225i, or SRM-225SB? :D

Homeowner, 1/2 acre lot.

Alan0354
06-19-2010, 12:12 PM
SRM-225, SRM-225i, or SRM-225SB? :D

Homeowner, 1/2 acre lot.

SB is a split shaft like the PAS system that can use a lot of the PAS system attachments like hedge trimmer etc. It sounds like a good idea except those attachments are quite expensive and if you only have one head, if it break down, you are out of business. I tend to get individual piece.

Forget the 225i unless you have problem pull start the trimmer.

If you just want a trimmer, SRM225 is the way to go, cheapest and will get the job done. You can get it in Home Depot, OSH etc.

Dave88LX
06-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Sweet thank you, picked up the SRM225 today. Was going to go through the local dealer but they closed at 2pm today. Sorry dealer...crappy hours! Got it through Home Depot.