PDA

View Full Version : Mulch prices!!!

rjh4758
04-04-2010, 07:32 AM
There is only one place locally that sells mulch around here. So I called to get a price and was told they only had red mulch and it was $60 a yard. I asked delivered and he said no delivery would be extra. Man I can buy baged for about $47 a yard in a half dozen or more differant types. That is just crazy. Anyone else paying insane mulch prices?

I guess I was spoiled when I lived in PA the place that made the mulch was only a few miles down the road from me so prices were good and if I bought bulk (100 yrds+ at a time) the prices wereeven better.

nepatsfan
04-04-2010, 07:38 AM
There is only one place locally that sells mulch around here. So I called to get a price and was told they only had red mulch and it was $60 a yard. I asked delivered and he said no delivery would be extra. Man I can buy baged for about $47 a yard in a half dozen or more differant types. That is just crazy. Anyone else paying insane mulch prices?

I guess I was spoiled when I lived in PA the place that made the mulch was only a few miles down the road from me so prices were good and if I bought bulk (100 yrds+ at a time) the prices wereeven better.

Thats ridiculous. We are paying 39 for red hemlock.

CHRIS92789
04-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Well i get black mulch for about 20 per yard, and red and brown for about 18. dont know about cedar.

lotsagrass
04-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Just curious since I've never bought buy the scoop (I'm a homeowner) and only bought by the bag....how much would a newer style F-150 hold in the bed with a 6.5' bed? Just so I can get an idea of pricing and know what to expect when I go to buy some.

nepatsfan
04-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Just curious since I've never bought buy the scoop (I'm a homeowner) and only bought by the bag....how much would a newer style F-150 hold in the bed with a 6.5' bed? Just so I can get an idea of pricing and know what to expect when I go to buy some.

depends on where you get it. A yard of mulch is not like a gallon of milk. Some places will load 1 yard with a three yard bucket and just estimate. Other places will use a 1 yard bucket and bang it off. Other places will heap up a 1 yard bucket. 1 cubic yard is 27 cubic feet. If I went to my guy he would probably just load up the truck but that is more like two yards. I would say that one good yard should fill a good portion of the bed up.

mowyo
04-04-2010, 08:29 AM
I've been buying black mulch by the truckload for several years for about $15 a yard.The guy sent me a letter warning of a price increase of 20%.Something about a renewable fuels program for scrap wood -he also has a big sawmill.More unintended consequences of our gov-ment watching out for us,I know we all feel much safer now.

Premier landscaping south
04-04-2010, 08:32 AM

Your truck would hold 1 scoop which is a yard +-. And that is pressing the issue. Bring a rake with you so you can rake the load even as possible. Looking at $18-$30 per scoop.

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 08:34 AM

You could get 2 yards if you're lucky.

lotsagrass
04-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Your truck would hold 1 scoop which is a yard +-. And that is pressing the issue. Bring a rake with you so you can rake the load even as possible. Looking at $18-$30 per scoop.

Man, if I can fill up the bed and only pay $30 or so, I'd be happy. Those bags of mulch add up ($) really fast. There's a landscape place nearby. I'll see what they charge.

nepatsfan
04-04-2010, 09:00 AM

There is over 60 cubic feet in a yard in South Carolina. I should by my mulch down there. JK.....they would pretty much fill up the bed up here for a yard. Thats what I mean by...its not like a gallon of milk.

As long as it isn't pine straw though. That stuff is ugly. I'm glad they don't sell that garbage up here.

Hoy landscaping
04-04-2010, 09:01 AM
i love my mulch supplier. they want 25 for black with free delivery. and 20 if i get more then 20 yards

nepatsfan
04-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Man, if I can fill up the bed and only pay $30 or so, I'd be happy. Those bags of mulch add up ($) really fast. There's a landscape place nearby. I'll see what they charge.

Depends on the kind of mulch you are buying. I do between 600 and 800 yards of mulch a year. I couldn't buy anything close to 18 dollars a yard unless I was buying by the trailer dumpand that would be a stretch unless I was buying pine. Unfortunately I don't have the storage space at my shop for that so I have to buy it from local distributors. You can buy pine between 25 and 30 dollars a yard. hemlock blend @30-35 and straight hemlock $38-45 per yard. Thats around me though. I don't neccessarily go by the price per yard because it really isn't accurate. If I buy 10 yards at one place for 35 dollars a yard but I am getting 13. I paid 350 for 13 yards thats more like 27 dollars a yard vs. if I paid 32 and got a true 10 yards or they were a little light. People who shop strictly on ppy sometimes don't look at the big picture. If I go to my guy and get yard.....its usually free. Very rarely do I do this....if we run short on a job or something and have to go back for one more. A yard in terms of math is 27 cubic feet, a yard in terms of buying mulch at a yard is somewhat subjective.

MikeKle
04-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Damn, some of you are getting screwed! I pay $24. for a heaping yard for triple processed bark mulch, and $2. more for the dyed.

nepatsfan
04-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Damn, some of you are getting screwed! I pay $24. for a heaping yard for triple processed bark mulch, and $2. more for the dyed.

Lol....customers pay not me, and that is the going rate around me so thats what I compete against too. Whats the difference really. Plus I would take high mulch prices over living in kentucky any day. You can also probably buy a nice house there for 150k. You couldn't buy a lot for that here. Its all a trade off. I like going into local stores and seeing the majority of people working there with a full set of teeth.:laughing: Just kidding.....it is what it is though

MikeKle
04-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Lol....customers pay not me, and that is the going rate around me so thats what I compete against too. Whats the difference really. Plus I would take high mulch prices over living in kentucky any day. You can also probably buy a nice house there for 150k. You couldn't buy a lot for that here. Its all a trade off. I like going into local stores and seeing the majority of people working there with a full set of teeth.:laughing: Just kidding.....it is what it is though

Oh yeah, I agree, my customers pay whatever I ask for mulch work too. I hate KY too!

ProcsLC
04-04-2010, 10:08 AM
NY pricing isnt any better with mulch this year... Like everything in this state, the price goes up "just because" and we are getting smaller yards of mulch every year... When I first started the local supplier always filled our mulch trailer bed (which holds almost 2 yards) with a loader and charged us for a yard ($22.50 4 years ago) same mulch now is up to $36.99 and we are hard pressed to get a FULL yard from him... Seems like all the local places are doing the same thing, cutting corners like everywhere else in the world and without a care if you come back and buy from them again... Really kind of sucks.

rcslawncare
04-04-2010, 11:14 AM
MY cost is $24 for regular and $30 for dyed mulch. I get great quality mulch and it is kept indoors and on concrete slabs, last place I went too had half mulch, half mud!

unkownfl
04-04-2010, 11:21 AM
2 yards will fit in your f150 bed with ease. Heaping you could get three yards in an 8ft bed.

castlerockmo
04-04-2010, 11:22 AM
hearing what some of you guys are paying makes me feel a little bit better about my supplier.
Mine is 22.00 for all dyed and 25.00 for cedar. if I were to buy by the truck then its 10.00.

rjh4758
04-04-2010, 05:12 PM
hearing what some of you guys are paying makes me feel a little bit better about my supplier.
Mine is 22.00 for all dyed and 25.00 for cedar. if I were to buy by the truck then its 10.00.

WOW. It would almost pay me to have a truck shipped in at $10 a yard VS. $60 a yard local. Most large trucks are like about 65 yards a load. That would be $3250 a load cheaper. I doubt it would cost that to truck it here.

GreenmanCT
04-04-2010, 05:26 PM
i prefer using hemlock for majority my customers which i get at 32/yard.....the double ground usually goes for around 15/yard

nepatsfan
04-04-2010, 08:24 PM
2 yards will fit in your f150 bed with ease. Heaping you could get three yards in an 8ft bed.

Exactly the point I was making before. If I went there with a 6 foot bad and ordered a yard I guarantee they would fill it up. Its all subjective. But its true technically you should be able to fit 2 yards in the truck.

lawns Etc
04-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Yep mine have went up by 20% and quality of dyed is down. Color fading 1st rain

ONEBLADE
04-04-2010, 11:15 PM
I picked up 2 yards of red cedar yesterday for 52.00 out the door. sounds like they are putting gold flakes in your mulch

soloscaperman
04-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Damn I live in CT and I pay $32 a yard and they went up a dollar this year.

LR3
04-04-2010, 11:28 PM
$25/yd for red, brown and black mulch. $33/yd for hemlock.

milkie62
04-04-2010, 11:41 PM
I pay 33 yd for basic ground mulch,40 for red and 38 for a compost mulch which is excellent in flower beds

topsites
04-05-2010, 02:29 AM
Y'all think $60 is outrageous, I think $30 a cubic yard is (*&%^ (*$^&T :angry:(*FG R &GYR HINH Y* &^ :angry:*&$#^A%@#!!!
That's what I think, used to pay $12.50 for one just 8 years ago,
I guess it's too bad mulch doesn't have it's own stock symbol.

There is over 60 cubic feet in a yard in South Carolina. I should by my mulch down there.

That is very strange considering a cubic yard is 3 feet wide by 3 feet long by 3 feet high = 27 cubic feet,
although I would have to agree that I should also buy my mulch from SC.

nepatsfan
04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Y'all think $60 is outrageous, I think $30 a cubic yard is (*&%^ (*$^&T :angry:(*FG R &GYR HINH Y* &^ :angry:*&$#^A%@#!!!
That's what I think, used to pay $12.50 for one just 8 years ago,
I guess it's too bad mulch doesn't have it's own stock symbol.

That is very strange considering a cubic yard is 3 feet wide by 3 feet long by 3 feet high = 27 cubic feet,
although I would have to agree that I should also buy my mulch from SC.

I was saying that in response to someone who said that a pick up bed was one yard and to bring a rake to try to level it off. there is about 60 cubic feet in a 6 1/2 foot bed. thats what I meant. I would like to buy a yard there where they give you 60 cubic feet for a yard. But if I bought a yard with my supplier I bet they would fill up a 6 foot bed. Although I wouldn't put much into a pick up truck unless it had an easy dumper.