PDA

View Full Version : Denny Mcewon Drives me nuts

dandd75
04-04-2010, 07:47 AM
If any of you live in Southern Ohio you will know what I am talking about. He gives homeowners some of the most inaccurate advice one could. He is now telling people that Barricade(offered to homeowners in Fertilomes All seasons Lawn food with .38 Prodiamine) that it will prevent ALL weed seeds from coming up in the turf. Just put this down and no dandys he says! Even when any homeowner could read the label and see that it of course says only the normal weeds that barricade takes care of.
Now he is telling people that even though barricade lasts for 8 months you will have very good luck with fall overseeding if you just lightly break up the soil!
Drives me batty!!

grassman177
04-04-2010, 08:17 AM
sounds like toby tobin from here. he may be a pro, but gives some very inaccurate advice

a plus bob
04-04-2010, 09:24 AM
We got one of those here also.Last summer he said the best thing for Jap beatles was beatle bags :dizzy:I wish I would never see another beatle bag again :hammerhead:

Grandview
04-04-2010, 09:36 AM
The beetle bags work great for Japanese beetles. One turf professor recommends them. He buys several every year and gives them to his neighbors for Fathers Day. His neighbors get the beetles, he does not. It all depends where you put them. Location, Location, Location.

SeedPro
04-04-2010, 09:45 AM
The beetle bags work great for Japanese beetles. One turf professor recommends them. He buys several every year and gives them to his neighbors for Fathers Day. His neighbors get the beetles, he does not. It all depends where you put them. Location, Location, Location.

I love it.

a plus bob
04-04-2010, 10:38 AM

I tell customers to give them as gifts also :) I love it when people say I cant imagine how many I would have if I didnt have these.

grassman177
04-04-2010, 11:06 AM
dont they just attract them to the bags?? hence more come toyour trees than normal!

phasthound
04-04-2010, 11:14 AM
dont they just attract them to the bags?? hence more come toyour trees than normal!

yes, that's the whole point of giving them to your neighbors' .They'll draw more jap beeltes to their properties & less to yours. :)

indyturf
04-04-2010, 12:44 PM
We have "Dr. Dirt" Dick Crum here on the radio and has a column in the newspaper. telling people they only need to fertilize in the fall, treat for grubs and get rid of your moles. put down your pre m on April 15th. and that Lawncare companies are a waste of money.

americanlawn
04-04-2010, 03:57 PM
We have a guy like that too. Our local NBC affiliate has a weekend TV show where homeowners can call in (live) for his advice.

Here's just one example:
Q: "I have creeping Charlie. How do I get rid of it?"
A: "Kill your lawn with glysophate. We sell it at our stores. Then you'll have to reseed. We have the seed too."

:laugh:

pieperlc
04-04-2010, 04:22 PM
We have a guy like that too. Our local NBC affiliate has a weekend TV show where homeowners can call in (live) for his advice.

Here's just one example:
Q: "I have creeping Charlie. How do I get rid of it?"
A: "Kill your lawn with glysophate. We sell it at our stores. Then you'll have to reseed. We have the seed too."

:laugh:

He stole my sales pitch!

a plus bob
04-04-2010, 06:08 PM
We have "Dr. Dirt" Dick Crum here on the radio and has a column in the newspaper. telling people they only need to fertilize in the fall, treat for grubs and get rid of your moles. put down your pre m on April 15th. and that Lawncare companies are a waste of money.

DONT FOREGET TREE BOY!! He is worse IMOP

Shegardi
04-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Denny is nuts. Most people who listen to his advice, I don't want for customers anyway. He also likes to push a lot of spring seeding and Tupersan. I have had customers tell me they tried his ways and failed miserably (of course), then called me (or you).

How these guys survive on the air beats me.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
04-04-2010, 09:29 PM
We used to have one here as well-Mike Maloney The guy is old as dirt & had a bunch of homeopathic remedies that don't work. The old people who followed him loved him & beleived what he said. Just about all of it was crap. The station would always try to get me to sponsor his time slot-said it would be a good fit:rolleyes: I said #1) If they are listening to a guy telling about do it yourself gardening & lawn care, then they are not my target & #2) I would be contradicting much of what he is saying:dizzy:

I'm glad to see his show cancelled:usflag:

Runner
04-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Who is the guy that is on "This Old' House"? This guy is like the center of no information, as well.

thempikes
04-05-2010, 11:41 AM
One of my pet peeves are the "Master Gardeners".

1. There way is the only way.
2. Lawn Care companies are bad.
3. 90 day wonders.
4. Master Gardeners know everything.
5. Full of misinformation.

tlg
04-05-2010, 10:30 PM
One of my pet peeves are the "Master Gardeners".

1. There way is the only way.
2. Lawn Care companies are bad.
3. 90 day wonders.
4. Master Gardeners know everything.
5. Full of misinformation.

Don't you just want to smack'em upside their head??!! The bad thing is the person that teaches all this misinformation is still out training the next Master Gardener.

greendoctor
04-06-2010, 01:35 AM
I have an axe to grind with the local extension services.

1. Herbicides are not needed
2. Fertilizers are bad. Mulch
3. Do not use insecticides, put detergent on plants. (Doing this fries the shat out of many plants, especially if done often enough to work in a tropical climate.)
4. If fertilizers are needed, 16-15-15 or 10-30-10 are good. (Many soils here have an overload of phosphorus).

BTW, someone who brings up the extension service is either not going to be my client or they are soon fired if they are my client.