PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else mowing on Easter?

MikeKle
04-04-2010, 10:24 AM
I am!! Got the trailer loaded and just waiting til around noon to go out. I want to leave now, but something tells me people do not want to hear the mowers this early on easter morning!!! Growing like a jungle here, will probably switch most to every 5 days for awhile instead of weekly.

Turf Commando
04-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Can't the grass wait till Mon....? It's EASTER..........!

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 10:48 AM
I was going to go do a few today since they are not going to be home but I thought I'd consider their neighbor's and wait until tomorrow.

MikeKle
04-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I am beginning to wonder whether I should go out or not??

bodetsr
04-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Didn't get all done yesterday thanks to April showers, so I'm going out to finish the four I coudn't get done yesterday.

nepatsfan
04-04-2010, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't even go out on a regular sunday unless absolutely neccessary, nevermind easter. I think it is best not to go out. Even if the people you are mowing aren't home...what about the neighbors?

MikeKle
04-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't even go out on a regular sunday unless absolutely neccessary, nevermind easter. I think it is best not to go out. Even if the people you are mowing aren't home...what about the neighbors?

Yeah, thats exactly what Im thinking..the neighbors! BUt maybe later in the day would alright, after everyone is done with their easter celebrations?

Turf Dawg
Even though I am behind I shut it off yesterday a 3:30 because we had a family dinner and will also have dinner today at 1:00 after church. I really do not like working on Sunday anyway and I refuse to mow or do landscaping on Easter.

ProcsLC
I agree with everyone else... Consider the neighbors and your customers, NO ONE will want to hear a mower/blower/trimmer on Easter... Its just not good business. Besides, Easter is like the one national holiday that people usually get together and eat early (at least in my family/area) we always have a big Easter dinner around 2pm and I KNOW my customers/family would cringe if they heard one of my mowers going... Heck, My wife gets mad if I even "look" at my equipment on a holiday! Best to wait a day, it will be there tomorrow!

unkownfl
04-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Neighborhoods here=no work on Sundays ever.

PetesLandscape&Supply
04-04-2010, 11:02 AM
If someone showed up to cut my grass on Easter Sunday I would fire them on the spot !..............pete

bodetsr
04-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Okay, so you guys do make a convincing argument. Who really wants their Easter Sunday interrupted by my mowers/blowers & trimmers? Even though I HATE to be behind, I think I'll sit this one out!

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Okay, so you guys do make a convincing argument. Who really wants their Easter Sunday interrupted by my mowers/blowers & trimmers? Even though I HATE to be behind, I think I'll sit this one out!

You're doing the right thing. The ones I wanted to do today were the ones I was going to do yesterday but had to call them and postpone until Monday. My trailer out of the blue ate up the wheel bearings on one side. I was on my way to cut those properties and decided to stop at a buddies on the way. I got out and we were talking when I looked at the trailer and noticed junk all splattered on the wheel so I got a closer look and found the wheel literally ready to fall off the spindle! Thank god it didn't come off going down the highway. It ruined the spindle where the inner bearing races ride so instead of chasing down a axle, bearings, seal and hub (ruined it too) I went and bought a new trailer. I'm going to "patch" the old one up and sell it.

Now for the stink, I know it's Easter Sunday but MY lawn hasn't been touched yet so I'm going out and cut it today around noon.

LuxuryLawnCare
04-04-2010, 11:27 AM
I have to Easter is at my sisters and i have been told ill be killed if the yard is not done by 12 lol and she means it lol

ShooterK2
04-04-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm finishing a leaf job later today, but I checked with the lady to make sure it would be ok before I left the other day. I think that's all I'm gonna do today, and it will be late this afternoon.
Posted via Mobile Device

bodetsr
04-04-2010, 11:35 AM
That's funny, I said the exact same thing to my wife. So she's happy I'll be home today, but sad 'cause I'll still be mowing, even if it's only my own yard!

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 11:37 AM
We're having dinner here and a bunch of kids will be here today so I HAVE to get it done. I'll post a pic of how beautiful the Scag stripes. :D

Hoy landscaping
04-04-2010, 12:12 PM
i went out yesterday and got the mower stuck 2 times. i was done after that

Larson Lawn Care
04-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Unless it's commercial, don't do it. If it is a business that is closed and not around other businesses that are open, then it would be no problem, but residential is just disrespectful.

LwnmwrMan22
04-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Most holidays I work. We still don't really have anything that HAS to be done here, so I'm sitting this one out.

I'm only commercial properties, so it's nice to work holidays and not worry about the traffic, etc.

JB1
04-04-2010, 12:33 PM
we don't work holiday's or sundays periold.

05 superduty
04-04-2010, 01:34 PM
:itflag:Be careful,you dont want to get a unprofessional reputation. Cutting on easter? WTF???? Whats waiting one more day? Luckily, your not my neighbor...lol.

Cboy7
04-04-2010, 02:01 PM
I agree, show some respect on a sunday. dont give LCO's a bad name with all that noise on a sunday. cmon

TheC-Master
04-04-2010, 02:10 PM
I am going to leave now. I have one spray job I told the customer about (no noise) I have a house which nobody lives in, and one more. Not worried about it, I had a customer call me last year actually. I try to refrain from working on Sundays but sometimes I have no choice.

tailboardtech
04-04-2010, 03:23 PM
well i mowed at my house but i don't have any neighbors for about a half mile :dancing:

93Chevy
04-04-2010, 03:38 PM
It's one thing to work on Sundays, which I try not to do, but there's only so much time in the week, but Easter. Come on. Show a little respect.

RodneyK
04-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I agree I wanted to cut today also but thought about the neighbors. This is a pretty big holiday for some people. No need to create bad PR for myself!

IdahoGrass
04-04-2010, 06:36 PM
I just got done mowing a small apartment complex. The owner wanted it done so I did it. Not to worried about the neighbors.

ukcats
04-04-2010, 06:36 PM
I agree you should try and never mow on a Sunday. especially on Easter. The grass can wait until tomorrow. We do our best so we don't have to mow on sundays or any holiday

MikeKle
04-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Well, I went ahead and cut today, but only one street where I have 7 houses right in a row, and talked to one of them before coming to make sure no one was having a party, the street was freakin deserted!! I even saw a few other LCOs out. I guess everyone on that street was going elsewhere for easter. It really helped me to get that street knocked out today, because it is supposed to rain all day tomorrow here.

GreenmanCT
04-04-2010, 06:57 PM
i did my big commercial account today, the neighbors are the county jail and the hartford landfill, i didnt think they would mind.

Jb3NH
04-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Too stuffed from smoked spiral ham with raisin sauce and scalloped potatoes to even consider loadin up 'n headin out. :)

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 07:26 PM
I cut my own today. The neighbor's around me were out mowing too so I didn't feel bad. :)
he first cut of the season at my place.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/CIMG0013.jpg

yardguy28
04-04-2010, 08:46 PM
easter is NOT a national holiday so i say if you wanna work, work. the only holidays i don't work are the one's that fall on sunday (unless i'm behind) and thats not because it's a holiday and christmas (unless it snows).

i don't normally work on sundays in general but if i'm behind and need to catch up i will work on sundays. even if it's a holiday, national or not.........

Lugnut
04-04-2010, 09:23 PM
I didnt work today but my phone was still ringing all day

yardguy28
04-04-2010, 10:17 PM
I didnt work today but my phone was still ringing all day

and you answered every single phone call right? i know i would have.

mowerbrad
04-04-2010, 11:35 PM
I went out and cleaned up my lawn a little this afternoon, it was pretty windy so it wasn't perfect but I wanted to get a clean lawn so I could put down some fertilizer before it rained tonight.

But I wouldn't even think about doing any customers' lawns.

yardguy28
04-05-2010, 08:29 PM
I went out and cleaned up my lawn a little this afternoon, it was pretty windy so it wasn't perfect but I wanted to get a clean lawn so I could put down some fertilizer before it rained tonight.

But I wouldn't even think about doing any customers' lawns.

why's that???

you gotta make money to put food on the table. you gotta work when you can. just because a clients job happens to let them off for easter doesn't mean everyone else gets easter off as well. unless you live in a small town it's not like the whole town shuts down. most places are open on easter.

i work as many holidays as i possibly can. it's nice being out because the roads are lower on traffic.

MikeKle
04-05-2010, 09:16 PM
I agree! I probably could have put in a full day without any complaints. I cant think of one place that actually closed because of Easter around here? My family doesnt get together for easter anymore, and im sure many other families do not either. It was a beautiful day here, around 75 and bright sun shine all day, light wind, could not ask for a better day!

LushGreenLawn
04-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Wow, And people wonder why our industry is so looked down upon. Show some professionalism!

93Chevy
04-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Wow, And people wonder why our industry is so looked down upon. Show some professionalism!

I agree. How many "big" companies with 10-20 trucks are out on Easter?

NONE.

Maybe some guys doing maintenance on trucks or equipment, but that's about it. I waxed my truck and did some easy repairs, but Easter is a special time for me and I didn't want to forget its true meaning by losing myself in things that don't really matter in the end.

yardguy28
04-05-2010, 09:34 PM

whatever dude........

what do you think about ALL the places that are open easter sunday??? resturants, gas stations, targets, walgreens, meijers, walmart, auto zone, lowes, home depot, menards, car washes, plant nurserys, etc. are they unprofessional because they are open???

easter is NOT national holiday and i think for the most part only celebrated by religious people and those with small children. if your not religious or don't have small children or grandchilden you probably don't celebrate it. i know i wouldn't if it weren't for my family wanting to celebrate it and i am catholic.

i don't think working any holiday is unprofessional as long as you give your clients the option of not receiving service that day which i do. letters are sent out or phone calls are made giving those clients the option of cancelling service for that day.

when i looked around my neighborhood and drove around my town i saw lots and i mean lots of people out mowing there grass or raking there lawns. so if they are out there'd be no reason us who make a living off of it not to be out.

i work and will continue to work every single holiday except ones that fall on sunday (unless i'm behind) and christmas (unless it snows).

nepatsfan
04-05-2010, 09:36 PM
whatever dude........

what do you think about ALL the places that are open easter sunday??? resturants, gas stations, targets, walgreens, meijers, walmart, auto zone, lowes, home depot, menards, car washes, plant nurserys, etc. are they unprofessional because they are open???

easter is NOT national holiday and i think for the most part only celebrated by religious people and those with small children. if your not religious or don't have small children or grandchilden you probably don't celebrate it. i know i wouldn't if it weren't for my family wanting to celebrate it and i am catholic.

i don't think working any holiday is unprofessional as long as you give your clients the option of not receiving service that day which i do. letters are sent out or phone calls are made giving those clients the option of cancelling service for that day.

when i looked around my neighborhood and drove around my town i saw lots and i mean lots of people out mowing there grass or raking there lawns. so if they are out there'd be no reason us who make a living off of it not to be out.

i work and will continue to work every single holiday except ones that fall on sunday (unless i'm behind) and christmas (unless it snows).

How do you find time for letters and phone calls when you don't even have time to take easter sunday off. Seriously I think you just like to type.

JB1
04-05-2010, 09:37 PM
whatever dude........

IF it makes you happy have at it, but we aren't working any holidays or weekends for that matter.

yardguy28
04-05-2010, 09:48 PM
How do you find time for letters and phone calls when you don't even have time to take easter sunday off. Seriously I think you just like to type.

who said i didn't have time to take off easter sunday? i choose to work easter sunday. i had work i wanted to get done before mowing gets started so i did it.

all the family did was lunch at 2pm. so i worked from 9am until 1pm. because I WANTED TO, not because i didn't have the time to take it off.

it's not hard making up letters. my lawn software has pre fab letters that i use or i edit them to say what i want them to say. all you do is pick the addresses that goes on it and print them out. it's not like when i send out for example 20 letters i'm actually typing 20 letters. if i'm using a pre fab letter i just point and click to insert the client its going to.

as for the phone calls. we are just talking about making phone calls to the clients that get serviced that day. i'm solo i do about 10-12 clients a day and it's not hard to make 10-12 phone calls in a days time. leave a message for the one's that don't answer.

yardguy28
04-05-2010, 09:52 PM
IF it makes you happy have at it, but we aren't working any holidays or weekends for that matter.

if you can work that kind of schedule great. but for the way i run my business and how busy i am i can't do that.

monday thru saturday on a normal week. saturdays being reserved for work other than mowing unless i fall behind in the mowing during the week.

i know some guys only cut certain days and use other days for other work but i cut grass 5 days a week. on the 6th day is when i do other work such as shrub pruning, mulching.

plus also realize i don't do landscaping so i don't have to deal with that. i just do the lawn maintenance side of the business.

nepatsfan
04-05-2010, 09:54 PM
who said i didn't have time to take off easter sunday? i choose to work easter sunday. i had work i wanted to get done before mowing gets started so i did it.

all the family did was lunch at 2pm. so i worked from 9am until 1pm. because I WANTED TO, not because i didn't have the time to take it off.

it's not hard making up letters. my lawn software has pre fab letters that i use or i edit them to say what i want them to say. all you do is pick the addresses that goes on it and print them out. it's not like when i send out for example 20 letters i'm actually typing 20 letters. if i'm using a pre fab letter i just point and click to insert the client its going to.

as for the phone calls. we are just talking about making phone calls to the clients that get serviced that day. i'm solo i do about 10-12 clients a day and it's not hard to make 10-12 phone calls in a days time. leave a message for the one's that don't answer.

You have a pre fab letter for every holiday? I gotta get this program.

MikeKle
04-05-2010, 09:56 PM
whatever dude........

Exactly!! Well said.

nepatsfan
04-05-2010, 10:02 PM
if you can work that kind of schedule great. but for the way i run my business and how busy i am i can't do that.

monday thru saturday on a normal week. saturdays being reserved for work other than mowing unless i fall behind in the mowing during the week.

i know some guys only cut certain days and use other days for other work but i cut grass 5 days a week. on the 6th day is when i do other work such as shrub pruning, mulching.

plus also realize i don't do landscaping so i don't have to deal with that. i just do the lawn maintenance side of the business.

Yardguy...i bet you watch this video around the holidays to get you all fired up to send out your letters. The USPS must love you. How much money do you spend a year in stamps? LOL..your favorite video.:cool2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD9mCp8SifM

ajslands
04-05-2010, 10:05 PM
..... Seriously I think you just like to type.

Lmao :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
04-05-2010, 11:04 PM
You have a pre fab letter for every holiday? I gotta get this program.

Yardguy...i bet you watch this video around the holidays to get you all fired up to send out your letters. The USPS must love you. How much money do you spend a year in stamps? LOL..your favorite video.:cool2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD9mCp8SifM

there actually isn't a letter for any holiday. i made one up myself. but i don't use a letter for every holiday. i don't need to. just the major one's i work on. i send out letters for the fourth of july, thanksgiving and thats about it. unless i would absolutely need to work on a sunday like mothers day or fathers day but that normally doesn't happen.

if i need to work on a major holiday i will send out a letter otherwise the only letters i send out are one at the beginning of year, end of the year and a referral program letter. also keep in mind i have clients i email as well and this year i'm trying to make phone calls instead of sending out letters to save postage. i really don't send out all that many letters. i try to include things in my monthly invoices when i can.

nepatsfan
04-06-2010, 08:59 PM
there actually isn't a letter for any holiday. i made one up myself. but i don't use a letter for every holiday. i don't need to. just the major one's i work on. i send out letters for the fourth of july, thanksgiving and thats about it. unless i would absolutely need to work on a sunday like mothers day or fathers day but that normally doesn't happen.

if i need to work on a major holiday i will send out a letter otherwise the only letters i send out are one at the beginning of year, end of the year and a referral program letter. also keep in mind i have clients i email as well and this year i'm trying to make phone calls instead of sending out letters to save postage. i really don't send out all that many letters. i try to include things in my monthly invoices when i can.

I'm just playing with you man. If it works for you thats all that counts. You gotta admit that youtube video was kinda funny though.:walking:

yardguy28
04-06-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm just playing with you man. If it works for you thats all that counts. You gotta admit that youtube video was kinda funny though.:walking:

yeah it sure was........:laugh:

Surferbum21
04-06-2010, 10:28 PM
I am!! Got the trailer loaded and just waiting til around noon to go out. I want to leave now, but something tells me people do not want to hear the mowers this early on easter morning!!! Growing like a jungle here, will probably switch most to every 5 days for awhile instead of weekly.

don't have family or friends to spend easter with? or even go to church? 5-6 days a week of work are enough. the work will still be there on monday bro

MikeKle
04-07-2010, 09:03 AM
don't have family or friends to spend easter with? or even go to church? 5-6 days a week of work are enough. the work will still be there on monday bro

My family doesnt get together for holidays anymore, and only some of my friends go to their families on that day. but it really needed to get done, so I went the extra mile for them. I dont go to church either

yardguy28
04-07-2010, 05:58 PM

maybe he's not catholic or just doesn't celebrate easter.

this comment is NOT directed specifically towards you but where is it law that you have to celebrate any holiday??? i don't celebrate anything except thanksgiving and christmas. i don't even celebrate my birthday. and even though i celebrate thanksgiving i usually work most of the day some where, even if it's in the shop getting things ready for friday.

Mary Henderson
04-07-2010, 08:18 PM
I was also planning to have someone bring the lawn mower out of the storage shed and mow the tall grasses on my garden last Sunday but didn't push through with it. I guess the neighbors might not like it. And it was such a nice day to enjoy that I decided to put off for the next day the household tasks to be done. I know procrastination isn't healthy but I do it only once in a while. I'd probably have it done this coming Sunday.

yardguy28
04-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I was also planning to have someone bring the lawn mower out of the storage shed and mow the tall grasses on my garden last Sunday but didn't push through with it. I guess the neighbors might not like it. And it was such a nice day to enjoy that I decided to put off for the next day the household tasks to be done. I know procrastination isn't healthy but I do it only once in a while. I'd probably have it done this coming Sunday.

who cares what the neighbhors like???

Cboy7
04-07-2010, 10:48 PM
who cares what the neighbhors like???

A Considerate Lawn professional that cares about his clientele.

.. but I guess that is not you.

yardguy28
04-08-2010, 10:40 PM
A Considerate Lawn professional that cares about his clientele.

.. but I guess that is not you.

whatever.......

if my client wants me to service there property on a holiday i'm gonna service there property on a holiday. end of story.

anyone that falls on a holiday gets a phone call or letter asking if they wish to reschedule there service for that day to let me know otherwise i'll be there like normal. so why would i automatically not show up because "the neighbors might not like it"???

nepatsfan
04-08-2010, 10:46 PM
whatever.......

if my client wants me to service there property on a holiday i'm gonna service there property on a holiday. end of story.

anyone that falls on a holiday gets a phone call or letter asking if they wish to reschedule there service for that day to let me know otherwise i'll be there like normal. so why would i automatically not show up because "the neighbors might not like it"???

phone call to yard guy.

customer:Hey yard guy. I really really need you to mow my lawn on easter. Saturday before wont do and neither will monday. I need you to be there on easter sunday.

yard guy: Sure thing...I dont care about your neighbors or my family. I will be there:cool2:

customer:this is why we hired you. We always like our lawn mowed on holidays. Your the best yard guy.

yard guy: I do what I can. keeping americas grass short one lawn at a time:usflag:
Some of you talk about it like you really come across this. I have never had a customer ask to be mowed on a holiday.

Cboy7
04-08-2010, 11:10 PM
You should be a screenwriter!

yea, most of the time , I hear customers feedback about not wanting me out there on holidays.

stan the man
04-09-2010, 12:18 PM
i did a clean up and pruning Easter Sunday the lady call me and said it has to be done Sunday i did it and the neighbor come out piss off at me i told him to call her because she said it had to me done. i pack up drive off billed her for what i did and come back Monday finish it billed her 25.00 for return fee she called and ask why the fee i told why and she said sorry for that

yardguy28
04-09-2010, 11:42 PM
phone call to yard guy.

customer:Hey yard guy. I really really need you to mow my lawn on easter. Saturday before wont do and neither will monday. I need you to be there on easter sunday.

yard guy: Sure thing...I dont care about your neighbors or my family. I will be there:cool2:

customer:this is why we hired you. We always like our lawn mowed on holidays. Your the best yard guy.

yard guy: I do what I can. keeping americas grass short one lawn at a time:usflag:
Some of you talk about it like you really come across this. I have never had a customer ask to be mowed on a holiday.

i've never had a client ask to be mowed on a holiday either. but if the holiday falls on a normal day of operation (mon. thru sat.) i will work and service any client that wants to. this is why i call or send out a letter. anyone wishing to reschedule has that option.

i only work sundays when i'm behind and this year i was behind so i worked easter. because i don't celebrate easter and neither does my family. i phoned ahead to the people that i need to service on easter and gave them the option. some cancelled and others weren't going to be home anyway so they didn't care.

i still say screw the neighbors. if someone hired you that is where your obligation is. i would say it's the clients job if they want to be considerate to a neighbor and reschedule there service day because it's a holiday and the neighbors could be home celebrating. my first obligation is to the clients. i'm not gonna skip a property just because neighbors might be home celebrating.

everyone has a job that works different hours, PEROID!!!!!

yardguy28
04-09-2010, 11:46 PM
i did a clean up and pruning Easter Sunday the lady call me and said it has to be done Sunday i did it and the neighbor come out piss off at me i told him to call her because she said it had to me done. i pack up drive off billed her for what i did and come back Monday finish it billed her 25.00 for return fee she called and ask why the fee i told why and she said sorry for that

i think your nuts for doing that.......

would you edge your clients sidewalks if the neighbor came out and told you it needed to be done? no, you'd either ask your client first or tell the neighbor to mention it to the client.

i had a guy come out once and tell me my client would really like it if i edged her sidewalks and driveway. i told him it was her responsibility to let me know that. he walked away all pissed off.

if a neighbor came out while i was working a holiday i'd either tell him to go fly a kite or take it up with my client and i'd continue working. it's a free country and not against the law to work on a holiday. i certainly wouldn't pack up and come back.

would you pack up and come back if a neighbor of your client came out and told you he works third shift and is trying to sleep? hell no. it's the same principal though.........

LushGreenLawn
04-11-2010, 09:45 PM

would you edge your clients sidewalks if the neighbor came out and told you it needed to be done? no, you'd either ask your client first or tell the neighbor to mention it to the client.

i had a guy come out once and tell me my client would really like it if i edged her sidewalks and driveway. i told him it was her responsibility to let me know that. he walked away all pissed off.

if a neighbor came out while i was working a holiday i'd either tell him to go fly a kite or take it up with my client and i'd continue working. it's a free country and not against the law to work on a holiday. i certainly wouldn't pack up and come back.

would you pack up and come back if a neighbor of your client came out and told you he works third shift and is trying to sleep? hell no. it's the same principal though.........

You don't edge when you service the property? Now things are starting to make more sense.

Cboy7
04-11-2010, 10:27 PM

another point you may have missed. Neighbors are your BIGGEST money makers. You are already on the job . mowers running. crew is there.. you stay in GOOD relationships with the neighbors, because they are the best customers you could get.
You wont get rich in this business, but if you run a few commercial accounts and stack some residential 4-5 per street, you can put a few loaves of bread on the table

yardguy28
04-11-2010, 10:43 PM
You don't edge when you service the property? Now things are starting to make more sense.

i edge the one's that pay for it. there is a once a season price to run the walkbehind edger to get it nice and clean and then it's maintained on a weekly basis included in the weekly service price.

not all pay for edging. but that wasn't the point anyway. you wouldn't edge your clients sidewalks just because the neighbor came out and told you to. so why would you skip your clients property on a holiday just because of the neighbors???

another point you may have missed. Neighbors are your BIGGEST money makers. You are already on the job . mowers running. crew is there.. you stay in GOOD relationships with the neighbors, because they are the best customers you could get.
You wont get rich in this business, but if you run a few commercial accounts and stack some residential 4-5 per street, you can put a few loaves of bread on the table

i put loaves of bread on the table doing what i'm doing.

you do have a point but my clients come first and foremost NOT the neighbors. if my client wants service on a holiday i'm going to service them regardless of what any neighbor thinks.

LwnmwrMan22
04-11-2010, 11:54 PM
I haven't owned an edger in 21 years of doing this.

LuxuryLawnCare
04-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Wow .

yardguy28
04-12-2010, 08:08 PM

i won't edge with anything but an edger. you need a walkbehind edger to make the edge in the first place. especially when the grass is like 2 inches over the sidewalk. you wouldn't have to own one of those, though. i own one but it's currently broken and i haven't ordered the part for it. i rent a commercial grade edger when i need to.

i also think you need either a walkbehind or stick edger to maintain edges on a weekly basis. i'll never use the trimmer for that. it uses way to much line and is too time consuming.

LushGreenLawn
04-12-2010, 10:00 PM
i won't edge with anything but an edger. you need a walkbehind edger to make the edge in the first place. especially when the grass is like 2 inches over the sidewalk. you wouldn't have to own one of those, though. i own one but it's currently broken and i haven't ordered the part for it. i rent a commercial grade edger when i need to.

i also think you need either a walkbehind or stick edger to maintain edges on a weekly basis. i'll never use the trimmer for that. it uses way to much line and is too time consuming.

:clapping: I am on the edger side of the argument also. The trimmer guys say they don't want to take another piece of equipment off the trailer, but my guys edge so much faster with an edger, it more than makes up for it. I have to remind my guys not to jog behind it because it looks unprofessional. We can all edge at a very fast walking pace. Despite the fact that someone will chime in and say they can also jog behind a trimmer, I have never actually seen that happen and have the edge come out 100% perfect.

Cboy7
04-12-2010, 10:42 PM

ok I will say , If you live north of Tennessee, the grass is different than in florida, and you may be able to make it look half decent. BUt still , even if you been in business a long time , think about taking advice from others on here. isnt that why we get on here ? share experience. help each other out?
once you stop learning , you stop living. you stop living ... you start dying...

yardguy28
04-12-2010, 10:49 PM
:clapping: I am on the edger side of the argument also. The trimmer guys say they don't want to take another piece of equipment off the trailer, but my guys edge so much faster with an edger, it more than makes up for it. I have to remind my guys not to jog behind it because it looks unprofessional. We can all edge at a very fast walking pace. Despite the fact that someone will chime in and say they can also jog behind a trimmer, I have never actually seen that happen and have the edge come out 100% perfect.

i have some posts in another edger thread where some say to use the trimmer because it takes more time using an edger because you have to get another piece of equipment out.......my reply....

i do things in a circle. i start trimming at the trailer, i end at the trailer. i start edging at the trailer i end at the trailer. so the time spent is what it takes to put the trimmer away and get out the edger. and yes i think edging with an edger is much quicker than with a trimmer. just lay it down in the edge and walkbehind it. no need to bump line out every so often and no holding the trimmer at an angle........

LwnmwrMan22
04-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Here in the northern climate, KY bluegrass, and especially the fescues don't crowd over the edges like you "southerners" have.

There are quite a few guys that I know that have never edged a sidewalk, drive or curbline.

It's no different than pinestraw. Some places haul it in to use for landscaping, some areas of the country can't wait to "get that disgusting garbage out of the landscaping".

Sammy
04-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Never on a Sunday.........Don't know why anyone would want it done on a Sunday.
If'in you have too, don't start until after high noon !

Sammy
04-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Spotty, first you say this:

because i don't celebrate easter and neither does my family.

Then you say this:

i know i wouldn't if it weren't for my family wanting to celebrate it and i am catholic.

Now which is it ???

P.S. You might be better off saying that you were raised Catholic.
For it sure does not sound like you are a Catholic in good standing.

yardguy28
04-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Here in the northern climate, KY bluegrass, and especially the fescues don't crowd over the edges like you "southerners" have.

There are quite a few guys that I know that have never edged a sidewalk, drive or curbline.

It's no different than pinestraw. Some places haul it in to use for landscaping, some areas of the country can't wait to "get that disgusting garbage out of the landscaping".

you couldn't be more incorrect there sir. i live in Indiana and KY bluegrass and fescues is what we got. if you don't edge it WILL grow over sidewalks and driveways. the worst i've seen so far is 2 to 3 inches over the sidewalk.

Never on a Sunday.........Don't know why anyone would want it done on a Sunday.
If'in you have too, don't start until after high noon !

if i'm working sundays i start at 9am. noise ordinance laws are different on sunday than the rest of the week.

Spotty, first you say this:

Then you say this:

Now which is it ???

P.S. You might be better off saying that you were raised Catholic.
For it sure does not sound like you are a Catholic in good standing.

i was raised catholic and by no means have i ever tried to come across as a good standing catholic.

as for the easter thing. well i shouldn't use the word celebrate. we do have easter dinner but thats it. the rest of the day is mine to do whatever i wanna do. the family doesn't take a whole day off from everything to celebrate easter is what i mean. normally we are all doing some sort of work somewhere. could be just in the backyard or for me if i'm way behind its at any clients property that will let me.

LwnmwrMan22
04-13-2010, 11:31 PM
You must have different fescues than I do then.

LushGreenLawn
04-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Mostly TTTF around here, and while it does not grow over the sidewalk, it does get a shaggy look on the edge that needs to be cleaned up.

most of the times, the reason I sign new mowing accounts is because I edge, and the neighbors lawn service does not. Once I point out the difference, its easy to get people to switch.

TheC-Master
04-14-2010, 10:01 AM
whatever dude........

I absolutely believe in professionalism but you are correct on this point. Waaay too many people were out working and waaay too many people wanted work done from me. Easter *is* an important holiday though (especially to certain people), but to say it is unprofessional for working is pushing it. I wear suits when I'm presenting my business and on my days off, and I believe in respect and professionalism. I go higher than most would bother. You just have to use discretion.

MikeKle
04-14-2010, 10:14 AM
If you are not catholic, whats the big deal? no one cared that I was out mowing on easter? None of the neighbors were having any kind of get together, many homeowners were also out doing yard work, its just another day for most people. I dont like working on sundays mainly because parking spots are hard to come by, and people seem to come out and chat with me more on this day,which slows me down.

yardguy28
04-14-2010, 10:32 PM
You must have different fescues than I do then.

tall fescues and ky bluegrass. if it's left unmaintained it will grow over the sidewalk or driveway. even cutting it back with a trimmer is better than nothing. i use the trimmer to straighten it out for those that won't let me edge.

I absolutely believe in professionalism but you are correct on this point. Waaay too many people were out working and waaay too many people wanted work done from me. Easter *is* an important holiday though (especially to certain people), but to say it is unprofessional for working is pushing it. I wear suits when I'm presenting my business and on my days off, and I believe in respect and professionalism. I go higher than most would bother. You just have to use discretion.

If you are not catholic, whats the big deal? no one cared that I was out mowing on easter? None of the neighbors were having any kind of get together, many homeowners were also out doing yard work, its just another day for most people. I dont like working on sundays mainly because parking spots are hard to come by, and people seem to come out and chat with me more on this day,which slows me down.

i'm catholic and i'm gonna side with mike on this one. if your not catholic easter is NOT an important holiday. which is why i don't see the big deal in working on easter sunday.

since i am catholic i understand the importance of easter but it is not celebrated in our family other than going to church early in the morning and having a dinner in the evening. that leaves plenty of time to work if need be. like i said before i don't normally work on sundays period, but if i were behind in my work i would have no problem working any sunday of the year, even easter. i work every other holiday whether its a government holiday or religious holiday so why not easter???

Sammy
04-15-2010, 12:30 AM
If you are not catholic, whats the big deal?

Easter is not just a Catholic thing. :hammerhead:

It is a Christian thing.

Sammy
04-15-2010, 12:35 AM
i'm catholic and i'm gonna side with mike on this one. if your not catholic easter is NOT an important holiday.

Spotty, I'm gonna call you on this one.

You know that is totally incorrect. :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

yardguy28
04-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Spotty, I'm gonna call you on this one.

You know that is totally incorrect. :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

you can call me on it cause it says catholic. i should have said if you aren't any religion at all.