PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best sticker

kirk1701
04-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Hey all,
I think thats what you call it, sticker prevents drift?

I picked up a bottle of Bonide Turbo Spreader Sticker on my last visit to Southern States as thats the only thing they had. I used it last week and notices a big difference when I sprayed; could actually see the ground was wet where I sprayed and never could before.

Upon closer examination on the side of the bottle (No Label) I see it mentions better distribution to the foliage better and briefly talks about "reduce leaching and product waste" which I assume is drift?

Is this what I need to control drift and is there anything better you all recommend?

http://www.norganics.com/label/turbospreader.pdf

jose85
04-04-2010, 11:37 AM
man i love the LT700 , way better then the sulfking and sticker

turf hokie
04-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Hey all,
I think thats what you call it, sticker prevents drift?No it does not, prevent drift by not spraying in the wind or use larger droplet size

I picked up a bottle of Bonide Turbo Spreader Sticker on my last visit to Southern States as thats the only thing they had. I used it last week and notices a big difference when I sprayed; could actually see the ground was wet where I sprayed and never could before.Why are you spraying the ground and not the target plant?

Upon closer examination on the side of the bottle (No Label) see the link YOU posted below to the LABELI see it mentions better distribution to the foliage better and briefly talks about "reduce leaching and product waste" which I assume is drift?ummm leaching is not drift....

Is this what I need to control drift and is there anything better you all recommend?spreader sticker will not control drift, what I recommend is learn what you are doing.....

http://www.norganics.com/label/turbospreader.pdfThis is one for the record...you stated above the bottle has no label but then post a link to the label:hammerhead:

see above comments.

RigglePLC
04-04-2010, 12:05 PM
The stuff is like a strong detergent. It wets the weeds better--thereby reducing runoff. Helpful if you have weeds that are waxy or hairy or otherwise hard to wet--like clover. There are many other similar products.

kirk1701
04-04-2010, 12:16 PM
The stuff is like a strong detergent. It wets the weeds better--thereby reducing runoff. Helpful if you have weeds that are waxy or hairy or otherwise hard to wet--like clover. There are many other similar products.

Or weeds like nutsedge which I know I'm going to have :cry:

Pre-ems won't take care of the nutsedge so I know I'm going to have to spray for that.

Thanks guys, I'll look into this

kirk1701
04-04-2010, 12:22 PM

Riggle
Will this BONIDE help at all with drift?

I wanted to kill off some grass today and use it seeing its not windy "YET"!!!:laugh:

kirk1701
04-04-2010, 12:33 PM
man i love the LT700 , way better then the sulfking and sticker

OK, think I found it??

LT or is that a type O??

http://www.sunnygardens.com/products/li-700_nonionic_surfactant_000042.php

Young Bros
04-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Is LT700 better than lesco spreader sticker? Is it the same kind of sticker? Is it ionic or non-ionic?

kirk1701
04-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Is LT700 better than lesco spreader sticker? Is it the same kind of sticker? Is it ionic or non-ionic?

So it is LT not LI???

Had a hard time finding it but the link I posted above says nonionic

Boomer Sooner
04-04-2010, 01:46 PM
sticker-and a drift product a seperate- spreader sticker gives you better coverage on the weeds- a drift product will tighten up the pattern to reduce drift from target-tried a few drift products this spring and had problems with it binding to the pre-emergent, broadleaf mix,so I say no to the drift product and would use a larger spray tip, if a little windy;

we have a lot of nutsedge here and crop oil is good when temps are a little warmer and the cost per k is half compared to sticker

americanlawn
04-04-2010, 05:20 PM
My favorite herbicide additive is LI700. "Liberate" has some of the same ingredients, but it may also help reduce drift and foam?? Both products are made by Loveland. We tried each of them. With Liberate, I didn't see much difference regarding anti-foaming, and I'm not convinced about its drift control.

In the late '70's, we used Nalcatrol. That stuff really worked gread regarding drift. The spray droplets were large, heavy, and milky white in color. Not sure if it's even made anymore. Maybe some old ChemLawn Corp guys might know.

jspray
04-04-2010, 07:00 PM
A paraffin based crop oil is by far the best spray additive as a sticker, spreader, and drift control agent all in one. Such a product is Drexel's Peptoil--17% surfactant and 83% paraffin based oil. The oil changes the specific gravity/density of the solution causing it to lie down even in significant wind.

We have used thousands of gallons of crop oil over the years. Under adverse dry conditions crop oil has been shown to be best by University research.

A pure surfactant seems to cause the solution to be lighter and more prone to drift. If you spray low volume as we do then crop oil is essential.

Shegardi
04-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Use to use Nalcotrol for drift, worked fantastic but haven't seen it around in many years, though it may still be available.

Kirk, you can get LI700 from any Agrium rep, I get mine in Ohio but there may be one in Nashville, Lexington or Louisville.

Shegardi
04-04-2010, 09:08 PM
In the late '70's, we used Nalcatrol. That stuff really worked gread regarding drift. The spray droplets were large, heavy, and milky white in color. Not sure if it's even made anymore. Maybe some old ChemLawn Corp guys might know.

Sorry for the duplication, didn't read american's post!

jspray
04-04-2010, 09:50 PM
The paraffin based oil spreads on the leaf and helps penetration of the herbicide.

Additionally the oil will cause a backpack sprayer to operate about 10 times longer because of lubrication and acts many times as a mixing agent or compatability agent between herbicides.

RigglePLC
04-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Go easy on the oil--do not overdose it--it can kill grass.

jspray
04-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Go easy on the oil--do not overdose it--it can kill grass.

Crop oil is used at 1 pint per ac. We have used it on approx. 2,000 ac. of turf so far in 2010. It is very safe as are herbicides if used at the correct rate.

I only point this out to help the Lawn Site members--we will continue to use crop oil with all our applications.

Crop oil is in summary: spreader, sticker. drift control agent, spray solution lubricant, and spray solution mixing agent.

This great country allows us all freedom of choice at least for now.

kirk1701
04-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the clarification guys, glad I asked because I thought "sticker" and surfactant was used interchangeably ;)

I found it at Gemplers (http://www.gemplers.com/product/G49786/LI-700-Nonionic-Surfactant) which is enough to do me for two years for $16 the little bit I spray but thanks anyhow americanlawn, Shegardi for the rep.

My bad this morning, for some reason I was seeing the LI and registering it as LT :laugh:

Not really windy here so I went ahead and used the bondie and a 4X4 sheet of 1/4" plywood to put around the holly as I sprayed the round-up to kill off the grass. I want to cut this grass as short as possible Tuesday and put down some landscaping paper and create a mulch bed down the fence line.

See here
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3495818&postcount=9

americanlawn
04-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi kirk -- Gemplers is usually kinda high priced, but you only needed a small quantitiy.

LI700 has several nice fetures we like:
spreader
sticker
penetrant
and it buffers the pH of the water (nice if you have high pH water like most folks)

Nice job on the mulch project. Too bad the shrubs are close to the fence, cuz it looks like a ride-on account.

CHARLES CUE
04-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Don't you hate when people plant srubs in the grass makes it a pain
Charles Cue

Snowy66
04-05-2010, 10:21 PM
What do you guys think about this product?
http://www.newlineproducts.com/specials.ivnu

Greenery
04-05-2010, 10:41 PM
I checked around today on this LI700 stuff and none of the suppliers I checked with had it and only one of them knew anything about it. Any leads on who may carry it around the T.C. area

Shegardi
04-05-2010, 10:44 PM
I checked around today on this LI700 stuff and none of the suppliers I checked with had it and only one of them knew anything about it. Any leads on who may carry it around the T.C. area

As far as I know, only Agrium has it.

Shegardi
04-05-2010, 10:45 PM
What do you guys think about this product?
http://www.newlineproducts.com/specials.ivnu

Have a label?

Snowy66
04-05-2010, 11:00 PM
No. Just googled crop oil and saw this. I emailed them for info.

kirk1701
04-06-2010, 12:52 AM
Hi kirk -- Gemplers is usually kinda high priced, but you only needed a small quantitiy.

LI700 has several nice fetures we like:
spreader
sticker
penetrant
and it buffers the pH of the water (nice if you have high pH water like most folks)

Nice job on the mulch project. Too bad the shrubs are close to the fence, cuz it looks like a ride-on account.

Ordered the 8 yards of pine bark this morning.

YES was very expensive $40 a yard :drinkup:

Don't you hate when people plant srubs in the grass makes it a pain
Charles Cue

Actually I have myself to blame for that "kick me in the ase mistake" :laugh:

When I did that 4 years ago the holly was ankle high and easy to mow around then, but thats not even half the problem. I also have honeysuckle running the fence and both the holly and honeysuckles are acidic and I've been liming the grass thereby stunning the growth of both the holly and the honeysuckles. When I planted the grass around the holly I didn't even know what acidic soil was, LOL

I worked around the holly and honysuckles last week, bought a bag of sulfer to bring down the pH and the pine bark should also bring the pH down even more as its a natural acidifier.

kirk1701
04-07-2010, 12:18 AM
OK quick question for you guys

I ordered the LI700 from Gemplers and they called me today. mainly because I asked to know what the shipping was before hand.

They asked me if I was a licensed applicatior so I just said YES :dancing:

I can't see needing a licence to apply a surfactant but thought I'd asked you all?