PDA

View Full Version : Priceing mulching and fertilization jobs

ShaneLawnCare
04-04-2010, 01:13 PM
This is my first year in business and I am wondering how to price a remulching job and fertilization. Thanks

LwnmwrMan22
04-04-2010, 01:16 PM
2.5x's the cost of the mulch, total price. Check with your state, most likely you have to be licensed to spread fertilizer, especially crabgrass preventer or weed-n-feed.

Probably check with your state's department of agriculture.

ShaneLawnCare
04-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Thank you and I will check

Hoy landscaping
04-04-2010, 05:55 PM
yeah be careful with the fert. i didnt kno i needed a license for a while

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 07:39 PM
yeah be careful with the fert. i didnt kno i needed a license for a while

I was told that you don't need a license to put down fert, you only need it for anything ending is "cides". I was told this 2 years ago. Maybe I'll call to confirm.

Hoy landscaping
04-04-2010, 07:49 PM
i read on the AG departments website that theres a pesticide license. im not sure what it covers

MOW ED
04-04-2010, 09:01 PM
The best way to price is to give it away the first year and see what happens in year 2.

Not to be a huge smart azz but what are you thinking of charging? What are your expenses. Overhead, Insurance, equipment , wages, on and on. I wouldn't take anyones advice on what to charge until you know what your business NEEDS to charge.

Good Luck.

stephen424
04-04-2010, 09:23 PM
just charge $30 per yard, plus the price of the mulch...since it's your first year in business. this is not a lowball price, but it's not the biggest profitable price either....right in the middle.
you should be able to spread 1 yard/hour. and once you find your rhythm, you should be able to spread the 2nd yard in 45 minutes, and the 3rd yard in 30 minutes.
and i'm talking scoop - wheel barrow - dump - spread!

thats how i price my mulch jobs. this is what i tell my customers...
"i get the mulch from XXX mulch yard, good quality stuff...they charge $30 plus tax for mulch and i charge $30 per yard to spread"

i always mention the mulch yard that i get it from cause i know customers these days are going to call and verify that it's $30 yard. what they don't know is that i really get it for less than that since get a hookup. so i'm making a profit on the mulch and selling to the customer that "i don't upcharge the mulch like others do"

like i said, once my blood gets going, i can spread 1 yard in 30 minutes.
but i'd charge $150 labor for 5 yards ($30/hour x 5 yards).

and i can knock out 5 yards, solo, in about 3 hours.
so really i just made $50/hour labor and a small profit on the mulch coming in at "a reasonable price"

Hoy landscaping
04-04-2010, 09:34 PM
yeah stephen thats what i do. it works great. except for the 30 per yard part

towtruck212
04-04-2010, 09:37 PM
I was told that you don't need a license to put down fert, you only need it for anything ending is "cides". I was told this 2 years ago. Maybe I'll call to confirm.

You need a license to apply fert. to a lawn other than your own. I dont think anyone just uses fert and nothing else anyway.

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 09:45 PM
You need a license to apply fert. to a lawn other than your own. I dont think anyone just uses fert and nothing else anyway.

Again, that's what they told me at the AG dept. 2 years ago. I haven't followed up on it so I'm only going off what I was told. I'll be calling them Tuesday to find out for sure.

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 09:57 PM
yeah stephen thats what i do. it works great. except for the 30 per yard part

If you're referring to the spreading part, then me too.

I get $90 a yard installed and as much as $120 a yard if the beds are in bad shape.
The time it takes to spread a yard of mulch is always going to depend on the distance the mulch has to be taken too. Sure I could spread a yard of mulch if it's all in one area in 30min maybe less but what if it's 3 yards with 20-25 different areas to mulch? It's ain't going to happen in 1.5hrs. I charge what I charge for the simple fact that I buy, deliver and install it in which all have a price on them. You paid for the mulch, delivering the mulch has it's cost as well. You don't want to work for next to nothing do you? When you do the math and add it all up, you guys are leaving money on the table and working for peanuts.

ShaneLawnCare
04-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the advice, I have a good friend in the mulch business who may be able to get me a good price, The mulch is also in about 15 different areas so I will take that into account too.

ALC-GregH
04-05-2010, 10:47 AM

I'll quote you again only this time I can tell you straight up, YOU DO NOT NEED A LICENSE TO APPLY STRAIGHT FERT IN PA. I just got off the phone with the head honcho for the AG dept and he confirmed what I said. :waving:

FuturePilot4u
04-05-2010, 01:50 PM
i apply fert in Ohio without a license...