PDA

View Full Version : big job help

ClippersLC
04-04-2010, 12:53 PM
I got woken up by my Blackberry going haywire withe e-mails and attached files coming through followed by a phone call from a very hectic woman that seems like she tries to do everything. Including talking, she can in 1/3 the amount of time that it would take a normal human saturday morning. After I got off the phone I opened up one of the E-mails this woman sent and it was a blue-print for the biggest job I've ever seen to take on. Or atleast the biggest I've personally been offered. The job is gonna require me to plant between 470-500 plants in what appears to be around 1250 sq. Foot of flower beds according to the blueprint she created and sent me. Everything ranging from Juniper, Azalea, Plumbago, Birch Tree's, Rock Spire, Hydrangea, Catmint, Clematis, Dogwood trees, pink carpet rose, Foxglove, and some seasonal color, along with about 20 other varieties of plants and tree's most of which I've never heard of. I already have the blue print printed out to scale of exactly how many plants there are and where there are to be planted. There are gonna be between 6-9 yards of nutrisoild hauled in to be put in and tilled into the flower bed that I'm doing that wraps around 2 1/2 walls of the house. Ill have to bring in my bobcat to deal with the nutrisoil, also have a soil conditioning attachment. Mulch is gonna be between 9-11 yards of brown mulch. I'm meeting with the customer tommorow morning to walk the job and verify the accuracy of the blue-prints, and also to see what kind of ground conditions I'm gonna be working with and take some pictures. Tje customer is buying all of the supplies only thing I have to supply is my Bobcat, and me and my 3 man crew. I know what to charge for the Bobcat. But how do I charge for the rest? By the plant installed, by the man hour, or by the whole job as one flat rate? Ill post pics and a better description tommorow after I see everything first hand, but I was trying to get some heads up advice before I go meet with the customer tommorow. Thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLARK LAWN
04-04-2010, 04:09 PM
i would price it by the entire job, on another note that many plants are never going to fit into that bed, they may when they are first put in and small but as soon as they mature they are going to take over and there will be no room. they will be competing against one another for food and sunlight.

LandscapeSavannah
04-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I'm glad I was not the only one thinking that. That is way too much material for that much space. It wouldn't look right. But yes, I would price it by the entire job. But it would be a factor of how many plants you have to plant, how long you will be there, the use of the cat, your labor per hour per man, you know... Sounds like a good job. I wish everyone that came to me already had a blue print with measurements and a list of plant material.

ClippersLC
04-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Yeah I'm glad you both noticed that it sounded like to many plants. I was thinking that in my mind but wasn't really sure so the makes me glad to know I'm not the only one that thought that. But like I said I'm gonna take exact measurements tommorow. I'm not sure the blue prints are dead accurate I think they are close tho but not dead on. I figure its gonna take atleast 3 days with myself and 2 helpers. The only thing I'm leary of is the 2 pallets of sod that was mentioned to be installed. I know ill have to take the attachment to the Bobcat and bust the clods up and make sure the soil is level so it won't show bumps and lumps under the sod, I call the attachment a dirt fluffer but I can't remember the actual name at the moment. Ill have pics, better description and accurate measurements tommorow around mid-day. Thanks for the input so far tho. Hopefully it will be an easy lay out without a lot of brush and rubble that has to be hauled off to get down to the bare ground. Thanks again everyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClippersLC
04-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Also forgot to mention that some of the trees and flower will be planted in the front and back yards with about 10-15 seasonal flowers under each tree. I think the plans called for 3 trees in the fron lawn and 4 in the back. So you figure roughly 70 of those flowers will not be in the main bed that wraps around the house... But like I said ill have more accurate measurements and info tommorow...thanks again...
Posted via Mobile Device