PDA

View Full Version : Walk Behind recommendation

cabsjackson
04-04-2010, 04:14 PM
I have a 1/2 acre, many trees and up to 25% grade in the front. My kids left for college and I don't have enough time to mow but like the exercise.

Recommendations for good walk behind that will do the job? I had a rider for a season and it took longer than my old push 22.

The Cub Cadet 33 looks to be a good balance of cost and quality but wanted to here opinions. New exmark is out the price range for me

Thanks,

MisterMayor
04-10-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm also looking for a wide cut walk behind and was looking at the Cadet 33 in HD. It seems like a pretty decent machine and not a bad price.

I'm also looking at the Craftsman Professional 12.5 hp 33 in Sears. Its 100 more than the CC, but I'm reluctant to buy the craftsman.

Based on some reviews, the Quickie 32 looks like a very nice semi-commercial walk behind (but is considerably more expensive) and I like the pistol grips versus the push down bars on the CC or the Craftsman. Those grips are very severe on the hands and wrists. I have an Ariens snow blower with the same type of grip and its literally a pain!

Anyway, my lawn is about 1/2 acre flat but with beds/play area and lots of trees. In the summer I mow about twice a week. The grass is very thick and I need a mower that will mulch and not clog! while also providing a nice even cut and is easy to maneuver.
Any user feedback on the Cub Cadet 33 or Craftsman Pro 33 would be really appreciated.

compton2010
04-11-2010, 10:44 PM
I have the 33" cub cadet.. When it works, it is great and fast.. But I blow a belt every other time I use it.. PITA. I wouldn't buy it again as it's not very dependable

nepatsfan
04-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Look at your local craigslist. Buy a used commercial walk behind. A bobcat, scag, exmark, gravely, ferris or really any commercial walk behind. Any one of these is gonna be better than a cub cadet. You can buy a running machine for as little as 6-700 dollars and a really good used belt drive walk behind for around 2 grand. This will also have a really good resale value if you decide to sell it. A used commercial walk behind is gonna be way better than a brand new cub cadet. Yes the cub cadet will come with a warranty but what good is that if it is always in the shop.

RugerRedhawk
04-12-2010, 09:28 AM
"I had a rider for a season and it took longer than my old push 22. "

Is it because you have small areas that were easier to navigate with the 22? I'd just get a rear wheel driven self propelled job. No need to spend thousands to mow .5 acres.

cabsjackson
04-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Good question, actually have some expansive areas and only a few "small spots" I think it is more about the number of trees. I have 22 full size trees. With the rider, it seemed like I was continually re-mowing the spots that I had already been through, backup, move forward, etc. I was thinking that a 33" deck (vs the 48" on the rider) would help with that? A compromise between the 22 and the 48.

larrylaverne
04-26-2010, 10:11 PM
of the two mowers (cc/craftsman) i would go with the craftsman 33" but neither one is true commercial.i started using the troy bilt walk behind 33"(same as the cc and craftsman) several years ago had 3 of them they worked just fine. sold them for a rider, now been using a craftsman walk behind 33" (the red one) for two years now....the problems with the craftsman were broken cable, broken trans, broken deck at the weld that holds the deck up....but... i was cutting properties that were so bad like roadside ditches that you could barely stand up straight let alone cut it.and all kinds of neglected properties plus one even fell off the ramps of the truck. i was not easy on them. with that that being said, sears made all repairs quickly and didnt make the same repair twice. plus they came to the house to make the repairs. that is why i would go with the craftsman and the yellow model you get 2.5 extra hp.over the red model so if your going to just cut your own lot and thats all, that machine will do just fine

unkownfl
04-27-2010, 11:57 AM
I have a 1/2 acre, many trees and up to 25% grade in the front. My kids left for college and I don't have enough time to mow but like the exercise.

Recommendations for good walk behind that will do the job? I had a rider for a season and it took longer than my old push 22.

The Cub Cadet 33 looks to be a good balance of cost and quality but wanted to here opinions. New exmark is out the price range for me

Thanks,

Almost positive they are the same machine craftsman and cub both made by MTD I believe.

compton2010
04-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Yes, the 10.5 HP craftsman and cub cadet are the same mowers. The cub cadet has key-ignition and a 3 year warranty over the craftsman pull start and 1 year warranty. The CC has also an hour meter... I would think having sears come out to your house would be nice though and beat having to haul the CC back to Home Depot or another service center (like I have had to do)

BINKY1902
04-28-2010, 11:37 PM
A red hawk/bradley walk behind is inexpensive and tough. It's a true commercial that's priced not much above the homeowner walk behinds.