PDA

View Full Version : 2-4-d herbicide

willslawncare
04-04-2010, 06:16 PM
I would like to purchase some 2-4-d but im not sure if i can. I live in north carolina. Does anyone know if i can purchase it or do i need to get a license for herbicides? and i dont mean the 2-4-d that comes in weed-be-gone at walmart.

mikesturf
04-04-2010, 06:47 PM
If you apply any type of herbicide, even bought from WalMart, you need a license.

phasthound
04-04-2010, 07:06 PM
I would like to purchase some 2-4-d but im not sure if i can. I live in north carolina. Does anyone know if i can purchase it or do i need to get a license for herbicides? and i dont mean the 2-4-d that comes in weed-be-gone at walmart.

http://www.agr.state.nc.us/SPCAP/pesticides/categexp.htm

N.TX
04-04-2010, 07:27 PM
You should be able to purchase it. I have some that I use around my property and my parents property. I refer all of my customers to a lic applicator although I may get mine soon.

rwsawal04
04-04-2010, 07:32 PM
We'll you can purchase 2-4d at any chemical supplier, but you can't do any spraying unless it's your yard because you dont have a license.

N.TX
04-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Ya ... sorry I should have clarified that I do not encourage spraying it without a license. You can however use it on your own yard. My parents property is large so thats why I do it. I will not be spraying customers yards until i get a lic although you can use straight fertilizer without a license here in texas.

jspray
04-04-2010, 09:03 PM
In NC 2,4-D is not restricted and you can buy it and apply it as long as you are on your own property and not as a commercial enterprise.

2,4-D is a poor turf herbicide as it will not control the tough turf weeds--a 3 way material such as Triplet or Trimec is much better.

RigglePLC
04-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Weed B Gone (a three way mixture) will do a better job. Chickweed/clover killer for tough weeds.

jvanvliet
04-09-2010, 07:21 PM
2,4-D wasn't that a component of agent orange? All I know is that it burns the crap out of the desirable floritams & St. Augustine. I try not to use it unless i want a fast burn down & I'm too cheap to buy Scythe

laxman3221
04-13-2010, 05:40 PM
2,4-D wasn't that a component of agent orange? All I know is that it burns the crap out of the desirable floritams & St. Augustine. I try not to use it unless i want a fast burn down & I'm too cheap to buy Scythe

It was. But it wasn't the bad ingredient, that was TCDD a dioxin.

Agent Pink was the worst.

fastcat
04-13-2010, 11:44 PM
were in nc are you from

jspray
04-14-2010, 07:46 PM
2,4-D is probably the most studied pesticide known to man. Developed in the early 1950's as a corn herbicide-as a pre-emergent- it has been used as a target by many enviro-rad groups. Tested and retested by EPA and the Canadian EPA version it has weathered the storm as a safe material when used as labeled.

As stated in this forum, the 2,4-D or 2,4,5-T in agent orange was not the problem. The manufacturing contaminant dioxin was the carcinogen that caused the human effects from exposure.

Dow Chemical actually cleaned up the 2,4,5-T material from dioxin but removed it's challenge to the EPA on banning this material when EPA allowed a fast track to label triclopyr. Triclopyr is only one chlorine chain different from 2,4,5-T.

No politics in these decisions do you suppose?

Think Green
04-14-2010, 09:34 PM
One chlorine chain different can make all the difference in a molecule chain.

As far as buying 2-4D, most states allows a person to purchase it on the consumer level in smaller containers like the quart or pint. The only times you will need a RUP license is when purchasing the materials in gallon or larger containers. You fall under a different containment regulatory group. It isn't safe to keep this much material in your garage or anything. Fact is, if you live close to a nursery, growery, or any place that has plenty of live plant material such as a green house..............opening up the lid can wipe out an entire stock of plants.

jspray
04-15-2010, 12:43 AM
One chlorine chain different can make all the difference in a molecule chain.

As far as buying 2-4D, most states allows a person to purchase it on the consumer level in smaller containers like the quart or pint. The only times you will need a RUP license is when purchasing the materials in gallon or larger containers. You fall under a different containment regulatory group. It isn't safe to keep this much material in your garage or anything. Fact is, if you live close to a nursery, growery, or any place that has plenty of live plant material such as a green house..............opening up the lid can wipe out an entire stock of plants.

What a bunch of misinformation. 2,4-D is not a restricted use herbicide and a homeowner can buy it in a 30 gal. drum.

My point on triclopyr, a non restricted use herbicide considered safe for the general public, is that it is not unlike 2,4,5-T. 2,4,5-T was not the problem with agent orange, it was dioxin.

We spray thousands of gallons of 3-way materials safely each year containing 2,4-D. To say that opening a container will damage plants is a misstatement.

This is the Pesticide and Herbicide Application forum--please study your subject.

Think Green
04-15-2010, 10:54 PM
2-4D half life is around 1-2 weeks and leaches from the soil rapidly. It has no real soil activity and is absorbed by plant or weed tissue by roots, leaves, and stems. It is the most widely used grass and broadleaf killing agent in production.
Hell, I am not going to prove the product toxicology and history to tickle your ass.
All I am saying is that not all state's are subject to homeowner purchase of large quantities of this product. Arkansas has 2-4D bans throughout certain growing seasons for agriculture. Here you need a license to purchase this product in container over a quart. The product in subject isn't a RUP chemical unless certain quantities are requested.
Have you ever had damage to offsite plants and trees from 2-4D? If you are the perfect one and say no!!!!!--Then you better not break your arm patting yourself on the back. I worked in a green house years back with a 75 year veteran in the growing business. He did not allow any type of 2-4D product to enter his doors. Amine products will become volatile and drift but not like esters. Either we are misinformed or you have escaped the confines of tragedy by the grace of mankind!
Oh! by the way--I am licensed too in case you didn't know!!!
At least I had the common sense and decency to not mention gasoline or diesel fuel for weed control.
The next time I comment on a subject I will keep in mind to study my subject matter before I reply. I will definately google the subject before any comments are made just like every other non licensed person on this site.

Think Green
04-15-2010, 11:26 PM
JSpray,

http://www.jstor.org/pss/4040264

Go here and read this little snippit of an article that may clear up some of your confusion as to the restrictions of our little 2-4D problem. So next time, don't speak from the hip based on the laws and regs of North Carolina....