PDA

View Full Version : Dealers suck

cutbetterthanyou
04-04-2010, 09:52 PM
What do you do when all the dealers around you suck? The one that i bought from last summer has always treated me good in the past. Here is my story, last year i bought a new hustler. I told my dealer "look i am down sizing from 2 old exmarks two the new hustler. I am not going to play the price game with you , i am going to pay you the asking price 10,200 plus tax. In return i want good service, meaning instant service or a loaner mower" Well i buy the mower back it off the trailer and it cuts off, call them they want me to bring it back in to see what is wrong. I couldn't get it on the trailer so they had to come get it. It was old gas from sitting on the lot. They got it fix i had to go pick it up (I don't feel like i should have to do, but i did, considering they are a 1/2 hr away and it was there fault) Half the summer goes by and it is smoking every morning when i start it , they had been blaming it in the fuel additive ,they put in it. Finally i said it has been 3 months and it is loosing antifreeze, it isn't the fuel crap it is blown up. This fall it went in they pulled it apart and sure enough it was they.Took them 3 months to put a new engine on it. I got it under warranty but the antifreeze, oil, and filter i got billed for which is BS because it was a problem from new. I never said a word. I took it home in the snow storm, i couldn't get it inside so i left it buy the door. When the snow melted i wanted to clean it up, but it wouldn't start. I called them 7 times over 3 weeks before they picked it up. Then 7 more times over 3 weeks before i got it back. I go to use it friday and the belt to the hydro pumps break after 10 mins of use. I called him at 9:47 i wanted a part number to the belt so i can get it at the local napa instead of going all the way over there. He tells me he will call me right back . I waited for a half hour,I called he was busy, 10 more he was busy, 10 more he was busy, then i told the boy on the phone i needed him to call me now i am loosing money because i have two guys with me and don't know what to do. I end up finding some numbers and got them from a dealer that has some parts but don't work on them. My dealer has yet to call me back. Now i spent all this money on a mower to have a warranty just to have a dealer that won't do jack. What do i do? The next closest dealer that i hear of that is worth a crap is over a hour away. I really don't want to change,because a hour each way i can loose some serious time on breack downs.Plus he most likely won't give good service because i didn't buy it from him. I just want the service i was promised. I even thought about trading it in on a different brand, but would loose my a$$ because i paid to much for it and it isn't even a year old.

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 10:09 PM
That sucks. My dealers is 10min from me. Treats me well.

Best trade that junk in fast and take the hit now before you really lose out. I looked on Scags dealer locator but couldn't find anything for "intheboonies" Md. :D Locate the nearest Scag dealer and see if they can work you a deal. Chances are, it will be a new in the crate mower as they seem to sell fast.

Oh yeah, gotta have the right mower if you're going to "cut better then me". :D

homerescue
04-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Wait till you spend close to 100 grand on equipment to one dealer and can't get the piece of garbage dealer to call you back. Last two machines I purchased from him wasn't't even prepped right. He is 15 minutes away and I will drive 2 hours if I have to to buy string or premix. He won't see another dime, but I will promise lots of word of mouth advertising for him, might even put add space on the trailer for him. I now shop for best price because dealer support sucks here.

93Chevy
04-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Yeah, that sucks bud, I'd be pretty jacked also. I'm lucky, I have a small dealer that treats me well. I don't have anything against large dealers, but I know my dealer will do everything he can to make my job easier.

cutbetterthanyou
04-04-2010, 10:16 PM
I actually just got off there websit, and hustlers, and exmarks. The nearest scag one is about hour fifteen from me. I actually started with scag the reason for moving on to somthing else was the cut sucked, but that was the advantage deck. I read that the new ones are alot better. My other thing is they are built like tanks, but they ride like tanks too. I don't think my back can handle a scag.

ajslands
04-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Now how mowng problems did you have with exmark?

None, that's alot less then this hustler! :laughing: it dosent even take 3 months to take an engine off a car!
Posted via Mobile Device

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 10:22 PM
You're in Md. Scags cut great in northern grass. The V Plus deck does a great job IMHO. Did you have a suspension seat? Then make a huge difference. Keeping the tire pressure a few pounds lower will help too.

GlynnC
04-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Buy from HD and Lowes(just pulling Richard Martin's chain)!!!!!:laugh::laugh:

cutbetterthanyou
04-04-2010, 10:26 PM
I actually had alot of problems with the exmarks that was why i got rid of them, but they were old. I didn't get a new exmark because they look like trash compared to the old ones, and the old ones were Ok, but not great. It would not matter etheir way the guy i deal with sells exmark ,hustler,scag and husky.The problem is him not the mower.

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Now how mowng problems did you have with exmark?

None, that's alot less then this hustler! :laughing: it dosent even take 3 months to take an engine off a car!
Posted via Mobile Device

You don't take an engine "off" a car, you take it out. But yeah, that takes a day maybe to swap an engine in a car. A mower shouldn't take but a few minutes.

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 10:29 PM
What about Ferris? I'm not totally convinced on the cut quality the mower as a whole looked to be solid and from what I've read, the ride is second to none!

cutbetterthanyou
04-04-2010, 10:29 PM
You're in Md. Scags cut great in northern grass. The V Plus deck does a great job IMHO. Did you have a suspension seat? Then make a huge difference. Keeping the tire pressure a few pounds lower will help too.

The ones i have ran had no sepension seat.Have you ran other brands to compare them aganst? How are they in wet weedy lawns that is mostly what i cut?

cutbetterthanyou
04-04-2010, 10:31 PM
i have never checked out ferris i'll give them a look

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm just not convinced on the ICD deck they have. If you watch the video, when they say "no double cutting" take a close look at the stringers sticking up everywhere. That's why I'm not convinced. They're getting closer to the Velocity deck but using a flap on the back as a "built in" striping kit is going to slow down the amount of air it can draw in from the back of the deck.

FourTrees
04-05-2010, 01:13 AM
Its sad when dealers are like this.

I so wanted to run John Deere mowers. Raised on a farm (in another state, another dealer) and John Deere equipment was the majority. Loved John Deere, colors and all. My first large mower was a Deere. Ran it for a year no problems, dealer support was great. Early on in second year ran into a miner deck problem. Went in (had been about six months since I had last been to dealer) whole new staff from parts guys, sales, and mechanics. The owners had cleaned house, basically firing all the old guys (higher paid, knew what they were doing) and hired mostly new or just combined responsibilities of some of the newer old staff (the girl who used to mostly answer phones and do office work was running the parts counter, and had not a clue.)

I love John Deere and would love to run their mowers, but with the new staff it was about a month of problems, salesman was a schmoozer to talk to, slimy at the same time .

Moved on to another brand, not ever gonna go back to that dealer.

It was so bad I could order parts from another JD dealer six hours away and pay shipping and still be cheaper than the guy 10 minutes from my house.

topsites
04-05-2010, 03:23 AM
Addressing the original thread's problem, how would you feel if a customer told you:

Look, I'm not playing the price game with you, I'll pay the full price of $35 for you to mow my lawn but I want excellent service!
Personally I would probably thank them for their time because NOBODY just up and names their price with me,
then again maybe I could use the money...
But soon as I take them on sure enough the trouble starts, granted I could have seen it coming.
So, what would you do?

That having been said, although I still feel like some folks could be simply a bit too demanding,
if you don't like the way they treat you after you've spent 10g's, maybe take your business elsewhere.

Because I feel the same way some days, sure do, it's my money, too.

cutbetterthanyou
04-05-2010, 08:14 AM
I would care less if someone told me this, in fact, i feel like it the mower sales buss everyone knows that the sticker price is to be talked down. I didn't name my price i just paid them list, which i feel like was kind of like saying, i'll pay you more than what it is worth in return i want to be treated the way i should be treated anyway. If i went to a custamers yard a was like "Ahh, i don't know maybe liiiiikkkkke 30-40 bucks" and they were like" how about 45 a cut but i want my yard to look good every week". I would be there and it would look like a baseball feild. Ether way, regaurdless if i spent 10 gs, 10 dollars, or 10 millon, the way i was treated is crazy.To have a mower not running that is not even a yr old and for it to be broke half the time i have owned it there is no way anyone is to demanding. They haven't made the payments on the sucker the 6 months it has be broke down. Would you go through what i went through and not be mad? I doubt it.

MOHUSTLER
04-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I would care less if someone told me this, in fact, i feel like it the mower sales buss everyone knows that the sticker price is to be talked down. I didn't name my price i just paid them list, which i feel like was kind of like saying, i'll pay you more than what it is worth in return i want to be treated the way i should be treated anyway. If i went to a custamers yard a was like "Ahh, i don't know maybe liiiiikkkkke 30-40 bucks" and they were like" how about 45 a cut but i want my yard to look good every week". I would be there and it would look like a baseball feild. Ether way, regaurdless if i spent 10 gs, 10 dollars, or 10 millon, the way i was treated is crazy.To have a mower not running that is not even a yr old and for it to be broke half the time i have owned it there is no way anyone is to demanding. They haven't made the payments on the sucker the 6 months it has be broke down. Would you go through what i went through and not be mad? I doubt it.

It honestly sounds like a lazy dealer. It does not take that long to get kawi to do something on that engine. That 26hp on the super Z's was a peice of garb though. Hustler just discontinued use of that engine this year. To many problems with it.

cutbetterthanyou
04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
It honestly sounds like a lazy dealer. It does not take that long to get kawi to do something on that engine. That 26hp on the super Z's was a peice of garb though. Hustler just discontinued use of that engine this year. To many problems with it.

That is always how it goes, everyone under the sun said liquid cooled are the best. Then the first one i get is a pos.

MikeKle
04-05-2010, 09:34 PM
When I picked up my Ferris DD WB, they said they had fully prepped it and it was ready to mow, but they had forgotten to install the deck belt, I wonder what else they forgot to do too? My dealer is OK, but it depends on how much you spend with them also, and they dont seem to know much about commercial mowers and the industry in general sometimes. they had never heard of a pro-slide when I asked about one last year??? I described it and they said, oh yeah, they thought it was called something else, WTF?

FuturePilot4u
04-05-2010, 10:03 PM
get an exmark and youll be happier than ever

cutbetterthanyou
04-05-2010, 10:35 PM
get an exmark and youll be happier than ever

Post # 9 :dizzy:

Scagguy
04-07-2010, 01:45 AM
I would have gone to the dealer and lit his ass up like a roman candle. Everyone and I do mean everyone in the store would have cleared out by the time I was done with him. I'd black ball his ass to everybody, write a letter to the BBB and to Hustler and let them now what happened. I don't beat up my dealer on his pricing either and I spend a lot of money with him every year. However, my stuff goes ahead of every thing because we take care of his personal lawn and I send him a lot of new business.

topsites
04-07-2010, 03:50 AM
Whatever...

This guy CALLED his dealer to DEMAND a part number so he can run off to NAPA and buy it.
That's not the half of what is going on here, a customer calling the dealer to get a part number for the machine...
So they can in turn BUY it someplace else!
Would you as a dealer NOT be pissed?

Here's the dealers original response:

He tells me he will call me right back

Original, perhaps not very smart but nevertheless a good one.
The thread starter is meanwhile getting pissed that 10 minutes later he hasn't heard back.
LOL hell yeah at least the dealer ain't the only one pissed off no more.

Yeah, I didn't see that until just now, re-read that first post carefully.
It's that problem with walls of text, we tend to read only certain parts but there are a few rather juicy parts in there.
Reading it carefully turns up a whole new enchilada.

I think if this were my customer it would likely be among my worst nightmares.

MikeKle
04-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Well, if these dealers would lower their prices to compete with Napa and auto zone on the items that they offer, maybe more people would buy belts, air filters, oil filters, plugs, and other items that can be bought anywhere? It is ridiculous to charge $15. for an air filter at a dealer when the exact same filter is available at Napa for $8., Who wouldnt buy from the cheaper one? Belts especally, dealers are charging WAY too much for deck belts, when any auto parts store can match it up and cross reference it to one of theirs! I have always bought parts like this fromm auto parts stores, they are basically the same thing but much cheaper. I buy Purolater oil filters for $3.50 each, they dealer wants over $10. for an exmark oil filter!! And they are the same thing, no matter what others may say, Ive used them on my metro which is approaching 10 yrs old, with no problems at all. When they are charging almost $9K for a freaking WB, you have to save money some how!

cutbetterthanyou
04-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Whatever...

This guy CALLED his dealer to DEMAND a part number so he can run off to NAPA and buy it.
That's not the half of what is going on here, a customer calling the dealer to get a part number for the machine...
So they can in turn BUY it someplace else!
Would you as a dealer NOT be pissed?

Here's the dealers original response:

Original, perhaps not very smart but nevertheless a good one.
The thread starter is meanwhile getting pissed that 10 minutes later he hasn't heard back.

LOL hell yeah at least the dealer ain't the only one pissed off no more.

Yeah, I didn't see that until just now, re-read that first post carefully.
It's that problem with walls of text, we tend to read only certain parts but there are a few rather juicy parts in there.
Reading it carefully turns up a whole new enchilada.

I think if this were my customer it would likely be among my worst nightmares.

Actually you need to reread my first post it says that after i got the mower back after siting there 6 weeks i used it 10 mins before something else tore up. I then called and asked, not demanded, and was suposed to be called right back and a patiently wait a half hour,then i started calling every 10 mins,when a hour went buy that is when i started getting pissed. I normally buy everything from my dealer,even though they are overpriced, but after going through all these problems and making numerous trip over a half hour each way i didn't feel like driving that far for a belt. What is your problem with me anyway, why do you keep tring to beat me down like i am the bad guy.
?

Yater
04-07-2010, 08:44 PM
The dealer doesn't remember what you paid for the mower when you call them for service. You should have haggled. Now you know.