View Full Version : need help to stop this weed

04-04-2010, 10:06 PM
ok here it is trying to find something to control this weed in the pasture we have horses and would like to find something to take care of this problem before it takes over the whole pasture. thanks

04-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Just use a 3 way they go easy
Charles Cue

04-04-2010, 10:15 PM
It looks like a curly dock weed just get something like 2-4d, 3-way,speedzone,etc.

04-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Horses are sensitive. Talk with your vet.

04-05-2010, 12:33 AM
I would rotate pastures if you spray.

04-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Horses are sensitive. Talk with your vet.

You know, I was thinking the same thing then scolled down and seen your reply :drinkup:

04-05-2010, 08:44 PM
i think you can use 2,4-d in pastureland (if there is no lactation). Read the label

04-05-2010, 09:11 PM
If theres not too many, a spade will do

04-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Is that a spiny-type thistle(which may have creeping rhizomes?) Or plain curly dock...or? Is that a daughter plant on the right side of the pic--is it possibly the result of creeping rhizomes? Now cover up that drainage tubing with soil or loose crushed rock. And grow more grass. Way too much soil is visible.

04-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Make sure your seed is no endophyte

04-06-2010, 02:51 AM
i think you can use 2,4-d in pastureland (if there is no lactation). Read the label

Lots of stuff that can be applied in pastureland that does not contain dairy cattle producing milk. 2,4-D, Banvel, metsulfuron, triclopyr, Milestone, and even Tordon. BTW, pastures are one of the few sites where it is legal to spray Tordon.

It is a very good idea to rotate the animals out of the pasture when it is sprayed and keep them out until the weeds have started to dry up. Reason is, poisonous weeds that horses and cows normally avoid may become attractive after being treated with an auxin herbicide(2,4-D, Banvel, etc). Those herbicides can cause the weeds to have more sugars in their tissues than normal prior to their final demise.

04-07-2010, 01:53 AM
not sure on your grass type but here there is a chem called remedy(dow) and it has a label for pastures i've seen in tractor supply

04-07-2010, 02:45 PM
I think Crossbow herbicide is specifically labeled for horse pastures (2,4-D + triclopyr ? ). Also I remember reading about something with like amino-pyralid ? in it...

04-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Aminopyralid is in Milestone and some other new Dow two way mixes labeled for grazed land. I can tell you that Aminopyralid is really good stuff on many pasture weeds. There are restrictions on usage of manure from animals that grazed on treated land.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-07-2010, 04:39 PM
OP - take a look at Milestone pasture spray. Low signal word product.....

04-07-2010, 08:51 PM
I'd narrow down Greendoctor's suggestions to consider Milestone is labeled for curtly dock in pastures. Will pass through your horse. It's very popular out here for pastures on a number of invasive weeds. Do not use the "product" from the horses for compost. The label actually prohibits that.

It ain't cheap, but it isn't restricted and can be found at many agricultural chemical dealers or can be ordered from them. Dock is pretty easy to deal with by hand if there is isn't too much of them.