PDA

View Full Version : First time slit seeding, boy did that suck

cscott711
04-04-2010, 10:06 PM
I guess I was under the impression that the slit seeder I rented was self-propelled. Boy was I wrong. That was one heck of a work out. Something I never want to do again. My lawn was cut short, about 2.5 inches, but I guess the thatch was pretty thick. It felt like I was trying to push a stroller through sand for 4 hours. I got almost a 1/2 acre done and I just couldn't do any more. I ended up going backwards and then forwards for each row as it was nearly impossible to just push it straight forward continuously. The only good thing is that it acted a lot like a de-thatcher and I got a whole bunch of dead grass and crap out of the lawn.

For future reference, does anyone know if they make a self-propelled walk-behind slit seeder? It almost seems like it would be better to dethatch and then just overseed? This was some serious frickin work that I wasn't expecting, haha.

Shegardi
04-04-2010, 10:16 PM
There are quite a number of self propelled slit seeders. Lawn Solutions makes a decent one, check more rental yards. Personally, IF I got it home and found out is was a push, I would have turned around and took it back.

irishcreek95
04-05-2010, 11:21 PM
I have been looking at renting one from a local rental company, all they have is sefk propelled, didn't know they made a push. You are in a lot better shape them me. I tired just thinking about it

EastCoast
04-06-2010, 07:09 AM
I purchased Lawn Solutions Turf Revitilizer (slit seeder/dethatcher) and the product it totally amazing.
I highly recommend you rent one.... you will not be disappointed.
Posted via Mobile Device

GrassStitcher
04-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Try a double Grass Stitcher www.grassstitcher.com if you have smaller areas or if you want a tool that you can buy once and not have to rent. Its not a renovator but it can repair a lot of area in short time at much less expense, it's easier to use than you may think.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-07-2010, 04:53 PM
OP you got that right. I have slit seeded a few lawns for $$ with a rental Bluebird. You get a tiny bit of assist out of the blades going forward, BUT, those things wear you out fast. I won't do over 4-5K sq ft with them.

Same goes for the Bluebird powerrake. What a piece of junk.