PDA

View Full Version : Tell neighbor how to mow the property line

George513
04-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Can someone please tell me how to tell the neighbor how they should mow their property line. They wait till their grass is around 8 to 10 inches high and cut their grass going counter clock wise, blowing their clippings across the property line.
I told them not to blow their clipping across the property line because it left piles or clumps of grass that needed to be gone over with the mower.
So now they don't cut 3 to 5 feet next to the property line.
Any suggestion?
Thanks

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Tell them to make two passes and blow it in THEIR lawn. Then turn around and start blowing it back toward the line on the third pass. This way it will lay on their side on the line and not get blown into yours.

93Chevy
04-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Just cut it yourself and take the loss. Sometimes it's not worth the trouble. If you do it with a smile, who's the wiser?

Or, what Greg said above.

Shegardi
04-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Put up a fence! :)

rain man
04-04-2010, 09:24 PM

We have a customer's neighbor who does the above. We mow his part (quickly) with the deck lifted high but cut our customer's property at the proper height.

yardguy28
04-04-2010, 09:24 PM
you don't tell them anything. either do it yourself or learn to live with it. unfortunately you can't expect the neighbors of your clients to give a horses ass about your clients property.

the problem is between your client and your clients neighbors. you have absolutely no authority or business in what the neighbhors do.

as long as your cutting everything your suppose to for your client you need to ignore the rest.

clean_cut
04-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Just cut it yourself and take the loss. Sometimes it's not worth the trouble. If you do it with a smile, who's the wiser?

Yeah, one extra pass isn't too bad, maybe you could come to them in a friendly manner and try to help them out by showing them some of the "mowing techniques" you've learned over the years. So instead of yelling at them and telling them what to do, try to give them some advice so both lawns will look better.

ALC-GregH
04-04-2010, 10:02 PM
you don't tell them anything. either do it yourself or learn to live with it. unfortunately you can't expect the neighbors of your clients to give a horses ass about your clients property.

the problem is between your client and your clients neighbors. you have absolutely no authority or business in what the neighbors do.

as long as your cutting everything your suppose to for your client you need to ignore the rest.

Maybe I'm wrong but I had the notion he was a homeowner wanting to tell HIS neighbor. If he is in fact a company cutting a clients lawn and the neighbor of his client is doing something he doesn't like, then by all means just deal with it and keep your mouth shut. Don't forget to >>>>> :)

randosh4
04-04-2010, 10:15 PM
One little word ROUND-UP.

betmr
04-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Tell your client that you have no control over his neighbor messing up your work. If his neighbor's actions bother him, He has the authority and right to ask his neighbor to stop making a mess of his property. That's between them. You are doing your job.

SangerLawn
04-05-2010, 12:39 AM
One little word ROUND-UP.

thats two words hahaha

Hawg City Lawns
04-05-2010, 01:00 AM
nothing you can really do on that one really its your customers problem its his neighbor

topsites
04-05-2010, 02:07 AM
Quick, crap your pants!
There, now we have a bigger problem to worry about.

thats two words hahaha

Yes, yes, I noticed this as well.

93Chevy
04-05-2010, 07:30 AM
thats two words hahaha

Well, technically, it's a compound word, because of the hyphen, which means is two words put together as one word. So both of you you guys are right.

Yep, college education paying off. I knew it would happen eventually.

Yater
04-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Can someone please tell me how to tell the neighbor how they should mow their property line. They wait till their grass is around 8 to 10 inches high and cut their grass going counter clock wise, blowing their clippings across the property line.
I told them not to blow their clipping across the property line because it left piles or clumps of grass that needed to be gone over with the mower.
Any suggestion?
Thanks

Wait a month and then call code enforcement. Around here, the the city charges $298 to send a mowing crew out.

EvenCutLawnCare
04-05-2010, 10:19 AM
I would just mow up to the property line as you have been. Leave the strip of tall grass until the neighbor mows it. When he mows it, if he blows the clipping into your client's lawn, just take 2 passes in your clients lawn and blow them back over to the neighbor's lawn. It sounds like the neighbor is trying to be a smart a$$. Any one that can operate a lawn mower can figure out how to direct grass where it needs to be.

I have a neighbor of a client who does the same thing. He mows around and around, blowing the grass outward (and he cuts off 6" per mow) which leaves a lot of grass in my clients lawn. I just blow the grass back his way when I cut my client's yard. People that wait for there grass to be 8-10" and mow in a circular pattern obviously don't care how their yard looks so they aren't gonna notice/care when you blow the clippings their way. My only allegiance is to my client. I try to make their lawn look as good as possible. Communication is key. Let your client know whats going on so if the neighbor contacts your client you have already defended your actions.

Yater
04-05-2010, 10:47 AM
It sounds like the neighbor is trying to be a smart a$$. .

This is the real problem. Call the city and they'll mow that strip for ~$300 if he doesn't comply.

mowerdude777
04-05-2010, 10:57 AM

Very well said I would do that if I was in this situation

Yater
04-05-2010, 11:49 AM
If the neighbor was a decent person, I'd just cut the strip and be done with it. It seems that this guy/gal is a pita. I wouldn't be caught dead on their lawn. I've had one lady mark her property line with string because of this. The neighbor was a hippie-type and didn't believe in lawn mowers. She let the grass grow like 6" on to her sidewalk. She also didn't believe in bug spray, so she had wasps in her gables, gutters, and hedges. She didn't kill them because she thought they only attacked people in red clothes.

Is there a PITA thread here??

topsites
04-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Let your client know whats going on so if the neighbor contacts your client you have already defended your actions.

Oh, well yeah, definitely!!!

Just don't come across like whining, state the problem as a matter of fact.
But yes, DO inform your customer at the earliest opportunity.

That way if...
Or maybe I should say when this thing comes to a head...

George513
08-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Well I sent this guy an e-mail of the post and first reply. Wow they started cutting the grass the right way and didn't blow it on my property.

But then they had his daughters boy friend and brother come out and cut the grass. That was even worse than the neighbor cutting the grass. These guys blow the grass 6 to 8 feet on my property. The language they use when I walk out in the yard is nothing but fowl words. I knew they were very smart because their actions not knowing how to cut grass the proper way. The township does not have any ordnance and the trustees don't want any. All I have to use is the states revised codes that cover the places that don't have and ordnances.

So the next thing I need to do is check with the prosecuting attorney and see if the Littering ordnance applies in this case.

I never knew how many stupid people there were until I moved into this township.

Maybe I need to not cut about 4 feet of my grass at the property line for 2 weeks and wait until they cut their grass, then I can cut mine and blow it on to them and see how they like it.

ajslands
08-05-2010, 06:59 PM
put some ground clear donw on those couple passes and you'll be good for the rest of the year! :walking::walking::walking:

maybe you should try a formal way, such as writing a letter, or speaking to his wife.

CaptainPike
08-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Can't the neighbor mulch the grass?

yardatwork
08-05-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm with you sooooo much on this one. My one client has a neighbor, and like you mentioned, blows his 8 inch mowing into my clients lawn. The crappy part...I bag all of my clients. So the first past through...I'm already ready to dump (this is a push mow lawn). I'm bagging her grass and his clippings. I get so pissed! If for some reason a client doesn't want bagged, I tell my guys to do a two swipe perimeter cut (blowing the grass into the lawn we're cutting) before going back and forth. This will eliminate blowing any grass onto roads, sidewalks...and...your neighbor's property. But, not everyone mows lawns for a living and knows the tricks of the trade!

topsites
08-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Omg I would just blow the stuff right back over because I'd be like wtf LOL
when it takes just as long to do it right as it does to do it wrong,
I wouldn't go out of my way to make sure it made as big or a bigger mess but
I sure wouldn't lose much sleep over it either.

Blow it right back over.
Sure would.

MowHouston
08-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Get your blower and blow the clippings back. Works for me.

davis45
08-05-2010, 10:25 PM
We've prob got 8 or 9 yards like this. Just make a couple passes and blow it all back in their yard. Be done with it and move on.

ADLAWNCUTTERS
08-06-2010, 03:26 AM
I would try to talk to the neighbor into going with your service and how you could do a better job.If that doesn't work i would make the extra effort to cut a little bit more.Now if they are an a==hole i would cut up to the line and not give it a second thought.

Richard Martin
08-06-2010, 03:44 AM
Well I sent this guy an e-mail of the post and first reply. Wow they started cutting the grass the right way and didn't blow it on my property.

But then they had his daughters boy friend and brother come out and cut the grass. That was even worse than the neighbor cutting the grass. These guys blow the grass 6 to 8 feet on my property. The language they use when I walk out in the yard is nothing but fowl words. I knew they were very smart because their actions not knowing how to cut grass the proper way. The township does not have any ordnance and the trustees don't want any. All I have to use is the states revised codes that cover the places that don't have and ordnances.

So the next thing I need to do is check with the prosecuting attorney and see if the Littering ordnance applies in this case.

I never knew how many stupid people there were until I moved into this township.

Maybe I need to not cut about 4 feet of my grass at the property line for 2 weeks and wait until they cut their grass, then I can cut mine and blow it on to them and see how they like it.

This is why we have a homeowners forum.

18lmslcsr
08-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Lol! For all the upset and aggravation it is not even worth IMHO loosing sleep over. Just let be and mow it the next time. As a LCO and home owner I see a lot. My neighbors blow crap and garbage all over the place and I just pick it up and smile and wave.

C.