PDA

View Full Version : cordless drill ?

MUDFLAP
04-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Time to buy a new one , the batteries for my old DeWalt wont hold a charge any more, and new ones cost almost as much as a new drill. Anybody have an opinion on which brand is best, for 2010 popular mechanics has the new lith-ion units ranked based on torque, and battery life

1-craftsman professional line
2-makita
3-hilti
4-milwaukee
5-dewalt
6-porter cable
7-bosch
8-hitachi
9-ryobi
10- b&d firestorm

thought i would check and see if any of you guys have any real world experience with any of these.

nepatsfan
04-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Time to buy a new one , the batteries for my old DeWalt wont hold a charge any more, and new ones cost almost as much as a new drill. Anybody have an opinion on which brand is best, for 2010 popular mechanics has the new lith-ion units ranked based on torque, and battery life

1-craftsman professional line
2-makita
3-hilti
4-milwaukee
5-dewalt
6-porter cable
7-bosch
8-hitachi
9-ryobi
10- b&d firestorm

thought i would check and see if any of you guys have any real world experience with any of these.

I havent used the hilti. I have used all of the others at one time or another. I would stay away from the ryobi or b&d. I personally like the dewalts. The craftsman is cheaper and those were pretty good. I know that a lot of electricians have switched to the milwaukees instead of dewalt because they say the batteries dont last as long in the dewalt. I think you are buying a nice drill no matter what but you already have dewalt. If you buy a new drill you are getting two new batteries plus you can use your old drill too. thats what I would do or buy the new batteries on ebay. They are cheaper.

nepatsfan
04-04-2010, 10:09 PM
I havent used all those with the lithium batteries though.

igotdiesel2
04-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Look at RIDGID at HD They have a lifetime warranty even on the batteries. I have the Ryobi lit ion and I love them. I have never had a problem with any of their tools. I have almost every tool they make for the plus one line. -Jason

procut
04-04-2010, 10:28 PM
WTF does this have to do with lawn mowing????

Milwaukee
04-04-2010, 10:37 PM
WTF does this have to do with lawn mowing????

It for landscape and sprinkler.

I used to have Milwaukee V28 with all cordless kit that was over $900 few years ago. Battery last forever if you compare to Makita 14.4 volt.

Still use Makita that I bought 6 years ago. Plan upgrade but not this year due economy.

Why batteries go bad
HEAT
not charge fully and let drain to empty.
Not use much.

My Dad have Makita cordless drill that was 20 years old. Let say Nicad is start loss charge if you don't keep charge every week. It no fun when they are complete dead it got me couple times to try bring alive.

morgaj1
04-04-2010, 10:38 PM
You can't go wrong with Porter Cable or Milwaukee.

streetscrapin16
04-04-2010, 10:39 PM
I use Makita drills. They seem to work the best. They are pretty reasonably prices too.

mowerbrad
04-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Dewalt......

r.eckley
04-04-2010, 10:46 PM
If your drill is good try VOLTMANBATTERIES.COM rebilt batts. beter than new.

Pennington Lawncare
04-04-2010, 10:59 PM
I bought a Hitachi 18 volt drill and impact diver with light for $199 at Lowes recently. It comes with a 10 year warranty and if you've ever used an impact you know how handy it can be and how well it can drive in concrete screws or long wood screws. The line is http://www.lowes.com/pd_306201-67702-KC18DHL_0_?productId=3056415&Ntt=hitachi%2018&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntk=i_products$rpp=15$No=0$Ntt=hitachi%2018$identifier=

bock
04-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Just stick with dewalt. Best warrenty and dealer support I think.

Zuess
04-05-2010, 01:53 AM
Dewalt, Milwaukee, Ryobi, Ridgid and a couple others are all made on the
same facility in China. The company is TTI( techtronic industries) check them out.
They pretty much rule the cordless tool industry.
Posted via Mobile Device

raptor1bravo
04-05-2010, 02:30 AM
I wouldn't use Craftsman myself, Dewalt is great for professional use. I work part time at Home Depot (great job!) and we have a set of the Milwaukee Lithium tools to use around the store. LOVE THEM! Light and powerful! Just a 20 minute charge and your good to go!
If you're going to buy a drill, get the impact gun with it. Once you use the impact you will wonder how you got along without it! Great tool!

Steve

LarryF
04-05-2010, 07:39 AM
I suggest you also check the Kawasaki product.

http://finderscheapers.com/product-price/1GOI76XD6NJ/Kawasaki%20840110?acnt=false&anwrk=1&aid=965a9d1a7dcb48a2a656b5fc2d01a962

I have a Milwaukee which is top quality, but when the battery and battery charger went south, the cost to replace them was more than that of the entire Kawasaki package of drill, case, charger and two batteries. So I went with the Kawasaki this last time.

MikeKle
04-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Does Metabo make cordless or just corded drills? They are said to be very good, and only sold at independent dealers...hmmm..kinda like Stihl, and other good trimmers, unlike the crap you buy at HD or Lowes. IF trimmers there arent any good, why would you buy a drill from there?

JCLawn and more
04-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Do you use this a lot? Tanaka has gas powered drills. That would kick but. I know a guy that is a bosch freak. He has about 10 of them ranging from all sizes. He is a fastenal manager, he would argue they are the best.

MUDFLAP
04-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the info, think im going to go with the RIDGID after doing some research, and visiting their website. Some of the people i know that use them say their warranty and customer service is excellent. One question though, do you think the ones they sell at HD are the same as the ones sold at their industrial dealers, i know that to be true with STIHL products, the ones sold at the big box stores are not the same as units sold at authorized dealers.

ixlr8
04-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I have a Bosch drill, I love the drill, works great, comfortable, well balanced. The batteries are not charging properly and I have discovered that replacement batteries are non-existant!!! Never will I own a Bosch again. I picked up a Makita Drill/Impact Driver/Flashlight kit w/ NiMH battery for about $230. I have used it hard for 3 years, still works great. Agree with others.. once you have used the Impact Driver you will never want to be without.

rlitman
04-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks for all the info, think im going to go with the RIDGID after doing some research, and visiting their website. Some of the people i know that use them say their warranty and customer service is excellent. One question though, do you think the ones they sell at HD are the same as the ones sold at their industrial dealers, i know that to be true with STIHL products, the ones sold at the big box stores are not the same as units sold at authorized dealers.

Stihl doesn't sell at the box stores.

RIDGID offers a lifetime warranty on the BATTERIES, if you send in the form you get when you buy it at HD. Nobody else offers that.

If you have a DeWalt 18V, then look at the Black and Decker Firestorm model PS145 batteries. They are IDENTICAL to the 18V XRP batteries, with the exception of a tiny plastic bump that you can sand off. I mention this, because the price (if you can find them on eBay), is WAY less than a new 18V XRP, and even less than a rebuilt one.

nepatsfan
04-05-2010, 05:11 PM

Home depot owns rigid now. I'm not sure if they are still selling them at regular tool houses, but I gotta believe that if Home depot owns them they aren't gonna sell the inferior product at their store and send good ones to tool houses. John Deere does that with home depot. The home depot basically tells them what they want to pay for their machines and John Deere builds them an inferior machine for the budget they are given from home depot. (at least thats what I heard, havent really researched it)

JCLawn and more
04-05-2010, 05:13 PM
I have a Bosch drill, I love the drill, works great, comfortable, well balanced. The batteries are not charging properly and I have discovered that replacement batteries are non-existant!!! Never will I own a Bosch again. I picked up a Makita Drill/Impact Driver/Flashlight kit w/ NiMH battery for about $230. I have used it hard for 3 years, still works great. Agree with others.. once you have used the Impact Driver you will never want to be without.

that is not true. Here is a whole bunch of them http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS343&q=bosch+replacement+batteries&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=NlK6S9ywBoHSMue-jOIL&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDkQrQQwAg

that took me like a 1/2 a minute to find. You no doubt can't get them where you bought the drill though. I bet fastenal has them, if there is a store by you.

sharps lawn
04-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Dewalt is a black and decker company.a good tool
ive used every drill known to man and tore them all up!
Ryobi is not bad for the price,but there is alot off tool companys that have came down on their prices.

JCLawn and more
04-05-2010, 05:21 PM
WE have only really used B&D drills. We have the 18v lithium. We don't use it very much, so I would not know how well it would hold up.

JCLawn and more
04-05-2010, 05:23 PM
I think this is pretty awesome myself. :D no power problems here, or dead batteries.

jblatti13
04-05-2010, 05:43 PM
in my experience the craftsman line is crap. i bought a ryobi set probably 5 years ago and its still going strong. i also bought the impact drill set because i was a garage door installer, the torque that thing has is crazy. ive dropped both drills off 12 ft ladders multiple times, no problems at all. havent tried the new liths cuz the old sets still good, and i have about 6 batteries so i never really wait for charging. i think the ryobi stuff is a pretty good deal for what you pay for it.

MikeKle
04-05-2010, 07:06 PM
i wont even buy any cordless tools anymore, Everyone Ive had is crap and eats batteries! Better to buy corded and have the tool for life. I have a well used makita 4" angle grinder that Ive had since 1992 and use it constantly and it has never had any problems. Porter cable is pretty good too, but my next drill is going to be a Metabo.

JCLawn and more
04-05-2010, 07:25 PM
I would think with his job he would want cordless, it sounds like he is always on the move.

FLAhaulboy
04-05-2010, 09:50 PM
I bought this Ryobi combo kit at HD two weeks. I basically only use the drill & saw all. Lately I have used the drill more & the batteries have held up well, drilling metal holes & putting in a lot of deck/fence screws.

I only wanted the Saw all but sold separately, then buy the charger, & batteries, came near the $150 price for the combo kit, so I bought the whole kit instead.

The drill is two speed.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools-Combo-Kits/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xheZar5v/R-100593255/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Here is the same combo but $50 bucks cheaper:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=66755

Cboy7
04-05-2010, 10:09 PM
i wont even buy any cordless tools anymore, Everyone Ive had is crap and eats batteries! Better to buy corded and have the tool for life. I have a well used makita 4" angle grinder that Ive had since 1992 and use it constantly and it has never had any problems. Porter cable is pretty good too, but my next drill is going to be a Metabo.

go with the new lithium batteries. They are soo light and last forever.

something like this http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2601-22-18-Volt-Li-ion-Compact/dp/B000WER5SE

mowerman11
04-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Makita makes the best drills and power tools period. However they can be hard to get a hold of because homedepot sells only a small part of what they make. Ridgid may have the best warranty, but there tools are only average and their lithium batteries are very impressive compared to makita. Dewalt is always good too.

mowerman11
04-05-2010, 10:19 PM
ment to say that they are not very impressive compared to makita

crete
04-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Once you try out those lithium batteries you won't believe the diff compared to reg. batteries

cinquefoil
04-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Check out this test. It's over a year old, but some good info.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/tools/4292657.html

Heatman
04-05-2010, 11:14 PM
A word of caution if you buy the lithium ion tools. I know for a fact that the Ridgid I own and some coworkers have the Ryobi, they don't work in the COLD.

I'm in the HVAC field for 20+ years and have owned pretty much every brand out there. I was very happy with my 3 year old Rigid nicad but wanted something lighter. As soon as the weather started getting cold ( below 40 ) I could charge the battery in the afternoon and it would be totally dead the next morning. I guess Ryobi stated this right in their mannual.

HD did just replace both of my batteries but that doesn't do me much good in the winter.

Beckham
04-07-2010, 07:37 PM
May have already been said if I'm repeating sorry. I will not buy another Dewalt since I found out they were bought out by Black & Decker! B&D is one sorry company that used to be respectable, it's such a shame to see a company go down in quality like they have. Many years ago you could buy something with B&D on it and rest assured it would serve well for many years. Those days are gone!

Triplex
04-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Depends on what you plan to do with it - if you're going to be using it frequently for hardscaping installs or something like that, invest in a heavy-duty contractor model. If you just need one to use occasionally around the shop, pick up an old drill at a yard sale and save your money.

3Bladz
04-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Black and Decker bought out Porter Cable too, they have blown out all the old tools and now have the new B&D "Porter Cable" line out.

JCLawn and more
04-08-2010, 06:51 AM
I say just go with the gas drill lol! problem solved

MikeKle
04-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I needed a corded drill last year and didnt want to spend alot, so I bought a cheap 3/8" B&D drill, this thing is great, it was only like $25. and I have drill thru 1/2" steel plate with ease, and it still runs great! I may try out the new lithium batteries, but am leery. Do the batteries last very long? I am thinking of going with a 24V drill, something with lots of power, but I also need high RPM, most big drills have low maximum RPMs for some reason. Anyone know if many tool companies make a 24V now? I know Dewalt and Milwaukee do, but unsure about the rest.