PDA

View Full Version : How to get sprigs of Bermuda?

cutn4alivin
04-05-2010, 12:09 AM
I am new to the site but have done the fescue chase for years. I have a 1 acre in the front that I am tired of fighting off the bermuda from both sides. What in your opinion would be the best route to change from Fescue to Bermuda without having a disaster of a front yard. Also should I till the yard or would top dressing over the fescue work? I figured in NC I could plant for Bermuda middle of May right? Any help would be awesome.

tombo82685
04-05-2010, 09:18 PM
I am new to the site but have done the fescue chase for years. I have a 1 acre in the front that I am tired of fighting off the bermuda from both sides. What in your opinion would be the best route to change from Fescue to Bermuda without having a disaster of a front yard. Also should I till the yard or would top dressing over the fescue work? I figured in NC I could plant for Bermuda middle of May right? Any help would be awesome.

I got sprigs of patriot bermuda grass which is the cold tolerent variety of bermuda. The sod farm is called oakwood sod farm, here is their link. They just mailed the sprigs directly to me, as long as i promised i wouldnt distribute it to other people.

http://www.oakwoodsod.com/

cutn4alivin
04-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the input. I called them today and they were extremely helpful. The recommended me to try and find a local sod dealer to get my sprigs. The did kinda walk me through the process of how to prep and plant. I know my user name suggests I am a full time lawn guy. However I am not, that was simply what I could remember and was available. I have 3/4 of an acre I wanted to attempt to sprig and grow. I am not in the position to pay 9k for sod, besides I like doing yard work there is an unseen gradification in it. Well for me atleast. So thanks for the help and any input on how or where to rent a row seeder would be great. I called a couple of rental places and no dice. So any help would be great. Come on anyone have some positive feedback.

cgaengineer
04-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the input. I called them today and they were extremely helpful. The recommended me to try and find a local sod dealer to get my sprigs. The did kinda walk me through the process of how to prep and plant. I know my user name suggests I am a full time lawn guy. However I am not, that was simply what I could remember and was available. I have 3/4 of an acre I wanted to attempt to sprig and grow. I am not in the position to pay 9k for sod, besides I like doing yard work there is an unseen gradification in it. Well for me atleast. So thanks for the help and any input on how or where to rent a row seeder would be great. I called a couple of rental places and no dice. So any help would be great. Come on anyone have some positive feedback.

Don't know if you saw it in the bermuda pics thread but research Princess 77 bermuda seed...its the closest seed to a hybrid.

http://www.bermudagrass.com/info/princess.html