PDA

View Full Version : Do you always turn your petcock off?

bryansong
04-05-2010, 09:37 AM
I have two tanks and usually turn the petcock to the off position when not in use. The problem is I am always forgetting to turn it back on (oops). I know, it lets me know pretty quickly so what do you think, is there a problem leaving it on?

Bryansong

mhaley927
04-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Dealer told me something about a pin, and when its in the on position during travel it is more liekly to break/bend etc. I really have no clue if it makes a difference. I actually found a way to rig the seatbelt across the arm rest and get it stuck over by the switch, so I have to look over there every time. Hasn't failed me yet. I didnt like running the starter twice everytime I was mowing, I figured that was twice as hard on it, so I had to get creative.

Marcos
04-05-2010, 10:27 AM
...sounds like a personal problem! :rolleyes::laugh:

topsites
04-05-2010, 10:42 AM
What pet ****, you mean the fuel shut-off?

bryansong
04-05-2010, 10:47 AM
What pet ****, you mean the fuel shut-off?

Maybe I should have said fuel shut-off, I thought it was called a petcock.

topsites
04-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Maybe I should have said fuel shut-off, I thought it was called a petcock.

It probably is but how do I know which thing, granted I suppose I could have guessed
seeing how I do believe it's the only petcock on the entire machine :p
Guess we're even.

I always turn it off as well but then I have good reason, I learned the hard way
that leaving it on can result in fuel seeping into the engine, doesn't happen often
but all it takes is one time (and someone either doesn't notice, fails to realize the problem,
or is in the middle of a job and decides to run it anyway).

Fuel that has seeped into the engine has contaminated the oil, without an immediate oil and
filter change this now contaminated oil considerably increases the wear on the engine.
It won't make it blow up or seize or crap out in no short time, but it will start to smoking in some kind of order,
granted it can take weeks, months, but not more than a year or two at the most.

I do odd things to remember ...
On all my recoil units that's how it's turned off, it's also the only way to get it to fire back up.
Haven't figured out a way around Electric Starts yet.

MOturkey
04-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I never turn mine off, but that isn't to say it isn't a good idea, I just never thought about it. I do on my Honda push mower, because the dealer recommended it, but it has never been a topic on the Z's.

Hey, Bryan, how are things going? Got that Scag worn out yet? The Walker is still doing fine. Had to have an O-ring or something similar replaced in the fuel system last fall as it was causing it to run too rich, but other than that, no problems. I hadn't noticed you on here in some time, and was wondering if you were still around. Neill

bryansong
04-05-2010, 01:23 PM
I never turn mine off, but that isn't to say it isn't a good idea, I just never thought about it. I do on my Honda push mower, because the dealer recommended it, but it has never been a topic on the Z's.

Hey, Bryan, how are things going? Got that Scag worn out yet? The Walker is still doing fine. Had to have an O-ring or something similar replaced in the fuel system last fall as it was causing it to run too rich, but other than that, no problems. I hadn't noticed you on here in some time, and was wondering if you were still around. Neill

Hi Neill, things are Ok. I think about you from time to time and wonder how you are doing. I have been here on the Board reading but not posting too much.

The old Scag is still creeping along, I guess I'll keep her. I find myself looking at all of the Walker post as I feel some kind of kinship to the Walker users. Did you do anything about that bumpy ride/seat?

As for the petcock/ fuel shutoff question I asked, I know it is a good idea to turn it off when not in use and usually do. I just wondered what other mowers do.

Bryan

MOturkey
04-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Bryan, nothing yet on the seat, but I bought a new Gravely diesel and the back of the seat was slightly damanged in shipping. IF they ever get a settlement from the freight company, I'm going to try and buy the seat and have it installed on the Walker. It doesn't bother me as much as at first, but I'd still like to upgrade as I plan on keeping the mower for some time. Neill

Hawg City Lawns
04-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Bryan, nothing yet on the seat, but I bought a new Gravely diesel and the back of the seat was slightly damanged in shipping. IF they ever get a settlement from the freight company, I'm going to try and buy the seat and have it installed on the Walker. It doesn't bother me as much as at first, but I'd still like to upgrade as I plan on keeping the mower for some time. Neill

just curious what frieght company was it?

soloscaperman
04-06-2010, 01:33 AM
With all the street bikes I owned I never used it.

MOturkey
04-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Hawg City, I don't have a clue, as I never asked. It is one of those things that I would not have made a big deal out of anyway, as it doesn't affect the functionality of the seat at all, but the dealer said paying that much for a mower, it should be undamaged, and I have to agree with that thinking.

He said they had had some issues with damage in transit before, but didn't tell me how those had been resolved. I just know it has been almost 2 months now, and they still haven't seen a dime. :rolleyes: