PDA

View Full Version : Load Handler Questions

Darryl G
04-05-2010, 11:55 AM
I've read the existing threads on the Load Handler and have a few questions/concerns for those of you who have used them. It's actually for a friend of mine for use in her Toyota Tacoma. She does a lot of mulch hauling and I've told her it would make her life a lot easier. She would have to get the standard 2000lb duty one, they don't make the heavy duty one in her size.

1) Some people mention the load locking up on the front of the wheel well. How much of a problem is this and how do you overcome it?

2) She has a drop in plastic bedliner and the same screwed to her tailgate. Will the Load Handler work well with that kind of liner, or would she still need the optional mat?

3) Some people have mentioned it damaging the tailgate. What is the nature of this damage? Is it abrasion of the gate itself or damage from where it mounts to the top of the gate..dents, paint damage or what?

Thanks in advance.

cat320
04-05-2010, 12:03 PM
I had one and it did all of what you mentioned so i returned it. some guys sware by them i found it to be more worj than they are worth. get a dump insert you would be better off. not sure if they make them that small .

Darryl G
04-05-2010, 04:56 PM
I think an insert for a truck that small would be kind of silly...the load capacity is low enough as it is and I don't think she could justify the cost in any case.

She has 4 acres and a veggie garden and lots and lots of beds...says she does about 15 loads of mulch a year for the beds plus compost for the garden.

Anybody else wanna weigh in?

cat320
04-05-2010, 06:43 PM
the one had was back in '97 maybe they have improved them for 15 loads i would just shovel because i assume not at one time and like you said the bed is small enough. i found that if it was not loaded right in the middle it was very hard to pull it out and i had a linner inside. then any stuff that was not on the bed got left behinde in the wheel well area. then to top it off it scratched by tailgate as in the add it said it wouldn't. So long as your not over loading it IE: having stuff fill the whole bed you will be fine.Or what is even better they sell very small dump trailers.

http://www.postlets.com/create/photos/20090608/161052_TR508-Up-Spread.jpg
2009 5,200 GVWR Dump Trailer Pickup
2009 5x8 Single Axle Dump Trailer 5,200 Lbs GVWR Electric Brakes Side Height 22" Tail Gate Height 23" (Two way Gate)

Price $3,299
Mileage 0
Year 2009
Make
Model 5,200 GVWR Dump Trailer
Body Style Pickup
Transmission Automatic
Drive
Engine Electric Dump
Exterior Color Black
Interior Color Black
VIN 2009DUMPTRAILER5K
Location Braintree, MA

Other Special Features:
- New 2009 5x8 Single Axle Dump Trailer
- Electric Brakes
- Tail Gate and Spread Gate
- Oven Cured Black Paint
- 225/15/75R Wheels
- Remote Power Dump Control
- 6,000 Lbs. Axle
- 5,200 Lbs. GVWR
- 1,424 Lbs. Unloaded Weight
- 3,576 Lbs. Load Capacity
- 22" Solid Steel Sides
- 23" Solid Steel Two Way Gate
- Saftey Bar
- Locking Utility Box with Hydaulic Pump and Battery
- 2" 5/8 Reciever
- 7 Pin Connector

Photo 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Info:
2009 5x8 Single Axle Dump Trailer
5,200 Lbs GVWR
Electric Brakes
Side Height 22"
Tail Gate Height 23"
(Two way Gate - Tail Gate or Spread Gate)
Axle Capacity 6K Lbs.
Unloaded Weight 1,424 Lbs.
Load Capacity 3,776 Lbs.

Contact Info:
-
- use site email
- 617-313-6791

Ref# utility, landscape, construction, contrator, enclosed, horse, yard, mulch, stone, material, u-haul, Brimar, Big Tex, carmate, carry on, belmont, karavan, smart, worthington, pequea, aluma, bay state, brown, cam, superline, downeaster, lawn tractor, murray, john deere, weed eater, honda, yard machine, troy built, weed wacker, ditch witch, atv, motocycle, dirt bike, motocross, fishing, hunting, boating, rock hound

blakerugg
04-05-2010, 06:58 PM
cat 320 beat me to it, i think a small light duty dump trailer might be perfect, and im sure theres many that're cheaper then 3300

Darryl G
04-05-2010, 07:55 PM
That thing is cute!

I have a 7 x 12 Bri-Mar 10K dump trailer. I love it!

STIHL GUY
04-05-2010, 10:10 PM
i was thinking about getting a load handler for this fall, but after reading this i am kind of skeptical

tnmtn
04-05-2010, 10:34 PM
i still have a load handler that i used when i first got my 1 ton. it is the 3000 lb. model. for mulch it is fine and i would recomend one for your friends need. i loaded as much as 2 tons of crusher run and it was harder to roll up but it did it. you do get a small amount of material caught behind the wheel wells. i would rather 6 shovel fulls than a full yard of shoveling. mine didn't scratch the tailgate on my truck. i definitly got my moneys worth for it.
good luck,

rcslawncare
04-08-2010, 12:03 AM
If possible, Id go with a small dump trailer, that thing would come in handy for sure!!

Darryl G
04-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Yah, this is a homeowner though with a little Tacoma. I think she should just buy the load handler...should be fine for her and she doesn't care if she beats up her tailgate...it's a work truck not her primary vehicle

whosedog
04-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Bought one last fall for leaves,saves a lot of time,raking them off the bed,money well spent,no damage to tailgate.If the load gets hung up on wheel wells(usually when wet) I pull out a handful or so from either side,that does the trick,for dry mulch should work fine,I have a plastic bedliner and 8ft bed, I highly recommend the loadhandler.

cat320
04-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Like i said some guys have had great luck with them but for what i was using it for it was not worth it.when i had to kill myself to crank it then have to go clean what it left was not worth it to me. but some guys love them maybe they have improved it since when i got mine it was a long time ago and i have since gone with a dump trailer. I guess it's all on what your going to load on it light stuff it would be fine topsoil, dirt not going to work . and how much your going to use it 1 to 5 loads a year makes sense

whosedog
04-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Yea I could see it getting hung up with a bed full of topsoil,but if you position a heavier load only on the fabric it should work;you don't want it jambing up behind the wheel wells.Good inexpensive solution for homeowners ,but a contractor who needs to move a lot of material on a regular basis would be better off with the dump bed insert.

Ramairfreak98ss
04-10-2010, 08:52 AM
I think an insert for a truck that small would be kind of silly...the load capacity is low enough as it is and I don't think she could justify the cost in any case.

She has 4 acres and a veggie garden and lots and lots of beds...says she does about 15 loads of mulch a year for the beds plus compost for the garden.

Anybody else wanna weigh in?

maybe a bigger truck? 4 acre, 15 loads and a toyota? wtf. Could get a 1/2 ton truck used for what 4-7k? Prob find one with a 2k dump insert already too.

My buddy has one and he loves it/swears by it. Ive never tried it and honestly if i go with anything it'll be dump inserts, dump trailers and dump bodies.

BladeRunner1967
04-10-2010, 04:30 PM
I got the 3000lb model off of craigslist for $60 and I love that thing... Hauled 2 scoops of mulch and 1 scoop of crushed stone and cranked with very little effort. Saved me a lot of time.

G. Ramey
04-11-2010, 09:53 PM
I have had one for years, I have never had it lock up. A plastic bedliner will work fine. The part that straps to the tailgate will scratch the paint, in my old work truck it,s not an issue. I,m sure you can put some kind of padding under the part that touches. I think purchasing one is a good investment.

Darryl G
04-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks...I think she's gonna get one...for the price it's worth a try I think.