PDA

View Full Version : 2,4-D Question

jeffchis
04-05-2010, 12:33 PM
I put down this weekend some Amine 2,4-D along with some Image. I used a 15gal tow behind tank sprayer with 80" boom and #2 tips. I mixed 4oz of 2,4-D with 4oz of Image for about 6000sq feet of grass. I also used a sticker in the tank for better results. Do you think I used enough chemicals to get pretty good results? Also, do I need to water this at all as I put this down on Saturday morning. How long does it take for the weeds to show signs of death?

Thank you
Jeff

Marcos
04-06-2010, 02:15 PM
I put down this weekend some Amine 2,4-D along with some Image. I used a 15gal tow behind tank sprayer with 80" boom and #2 tips. I mixed 4oz of 2,4-D with 4oz of Image for about 6000sq feet of grass. I also used a sticker in the tank for better results. Do you think I used enough chemicals to get pretty good results? Also, do I need to water this at all as I put this down on Saturday morning. How long does it take for the weeds to show signs of death?

Thank you
Jeff

Whether you have or don't have success in springtime weed control typically rides on 4 factors: soil not air temperature, % of sunlight per day, precipitation, and level of lateral competition from desirable species (I assume turf grasses in your scenario).

Your rates for both products are correct, and using a surfactant (sticker) is a wise move.
There is no need to 'water in' a selective herbicide application such as what you've done, unless your region is experiencing unusually dry weather.
('Watering in' is typically required on a label a short time after granular selective 'weed 'n' feed' spreader applications.)

How long until you see results?
That depends upon soil temp, % of sunlight per day, precipitation, & level of lateral competition. :waving:

And these factors are why LCOs are forced to do re-sprays so often.
IMO, the best time to kill weeds in a stand of turf, at least here in Ohio, is late Sept thru Oct, up until first frost.

jeffchis
04-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you for the great response! Sunlight for the past 5 days has been awesome! Soil temp I am not too sure of right now as the high's the past week have been in the low to mid 80's and low's in the middle 60's. The grass currently is pretty much still dormant bermuda and we have had no rain in about 9 days.

Marcos
04-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Thank you for the great response! Sunlight for the past 5 days has been awesome! Soil temp I am not too sure of right now as the high's the past week have been in the low to mid 80's and low's in the middle 60's. The grass currently is pretty much still dormant bermuda and we have had no rain in about 9 days.

You sprayed last weekend.
Mark your calendar for 4/15, or approx 10-12 days.
If they hadn't curled, shriveled & turned brown by then, one of the factors wasn't in place.
Spot-treat after that point in time if needed.

If your bermuda grass isn't dense enough overall, or becomes thatchy due to over-fertilization &/or poor mowing practices, weeds WILL eventually begin to gain ground.
Physically inspect the turf's thatch layer in different points throughout the lawn.
If a problem, address it come late July / early Aug in the way of dethatching, composting & seeding.
Lightly rake seed into bulk compost & (existing) soil for best results.

jeffchis
04-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks Marcos! I am starting to see some curling on the bull thistle and a little on the wild onions. Not so much on some of the poa annua and nimble weeds yet, but I know the Image chemical takes a little longer to react doesn't?

Jeff

Marcos
04-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks Marcos! I am starting to see some curling on the bull thistle and a little on the wild onions. Not so much on some of the poa annua and nimble weeds yet, but I know the Image chemical takes a little longer to react doesn't?

Jeff
WADR, you'll be waiting a hellava long time for those last two to curl!

Image & 2,4-d are labeled for dicots, or broadleaved plants, which believe it or not includes a few 'grassy looking' weeds in the form of wild onions & sedges, too.
Image is not labeled for nimblewill or poa annua, both of which are monocots.

As far as poa is concerned, in my opinion your best hope is to keep establishing bermuda seed or sod in the affected areas until it is literally 'out-competed'.

Here, I believe these will be of interest to you:

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Weeds/Nimblewill.aspx
http://ohioline.osu.edu/srt-fact/0003.html

Valent is labeled for poa only in bentgrass such as on golf courses, and can cause some golf course superintendents to work as caddys or open a personal 2nd mortgage to afford it these days.
Prograss is a fall pre-emergent for poa, with a mixed track record, to say it kindly.

Best of luck to you! :waving:

jeffchis
04-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Well crap! I don't know why I thought Image said it was for annual bluegrass/poa annua. I guess I might just pull those by hand as there aren't very many of these in the yard currently. The lawn is only in it's 3rd season, of which the first was via the builder that did nothing and the yard last year was just inundated with weeds. I got them fairly under control last summer, but this winter has been so freaking wet here they just thrived. Little bastards! Weeds are my evil enemy!

Marcos
04-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Well crap! I don't know why I thought Image said it was for annual bluegrass/poa annua. I guess I might just pull those by hand as there aren't very many of these in the yard currently. The lawn is only in it's 3rd season, of which the first was via the builder that did nothing and the yard last year was just inundated with weeds. I got them fairly under control last summer, but this winter has been so freaking wet here they just thrived. Little bastards! Weeds are my evil enemy!

I just did a short lunchtime surfing & I think I figured out where you read "poa annua".
Did you spray Image with Atrazine? :confused:

Image + Atrazine was created to make yet another dicot + monocot all-purpose selective herbicide for the market.
If you sprayed this product, poa control / suppression may be on that label, yes, but bear in mind the judgment to include it could have been done based upon results gained from absolutely ideal turf plot situations at any land grant university with a turf research program.
Typically that's a far cry from the real turf world you & I deal with.

So far I've not heard of anyone in the industry jumping up & down in joy about Image + Atrazine for poa control.
But who knows? Maybe if you timed your app right & follow it up again like I suggested, you could be the 1st! :)

jeffchis
04-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Here is the label and product I used: I had pretty good results spot spraying this last summer, so that's why I used this again in my tank sprayer. Maybe I will get lucky with killing this crap. HA

http://www.walterreeves.com/uploads/pdf/imagenutgrasslabel.pdf