PDA

View Full Version : Service vs. speed

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Quick note at lunchtime guys..

Was putting down fert + pre at a resi home today, new one for me this season. Trugreen shows up to do house across the street - so I am like "this is good, lets compare service levels". Trugreen guy spreads fert same time I do, and finishes about the same time I do or a little faster, as the lawns are similar size. He is practically running on the lawn though, while I maintain a fast walk. Bag is labeled for 3MPH so I would have to think I was closer to the right speed. At any rate, he finishes, does his invoicing/records, drops them with flag, and off.

Oops Trugreen. I finish, BLOW THE PRILLS off hard surfaces with my powerblower, then do my records/invoicing, drop, and go. So, he leaves 10-15 minutes before I do. For them, time is money. For me, taking no time equals no money here in my small town. I'll err on the side of service.

SeedPro
04-05-2010, 06:11 PM
You shouldn't get enough product on the drive or walk with a push spreader to need to blow or sweep it off. With a ride on it's a different story.

He may have looked like he was trotting because the lawn was sodded and has two inches of thatch.....and you need to almost run it across that mess because of the friction.

He also has a 1200 dollar a day goal, and 800 customers.

You admitted this is your first year. First year techs are always slow.

Just playing devils advocate here.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Ahh yes, Mr SeedPro. I've seen sidewalks surrounding TG treated lawns. Always full of prills. If I did sloppy job after sloppy job like that here in my town, I wouldn't last until tomorrow. Funny how a lot of my calls this season are from former TG folks, wanting LOCAL service. How can I beat TG on volume - can't. Need to beat them on workmanship and friendly service.

SeedPro
04-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Ahh yes, Mr SeedPro. I've seen sidewalks surrounding TG treated lawns. Always full of prills. If I did sloppy job after sloppy job like that here in my town, I wouldn't last until tomorrow. Funny how a lot of my calls this season are from former TG folks, wanting LOCAL service. How can I beat TG on volume - can't. Need to beat them on workmanship and friendly service.

Oh of course.....I agree, but if you are getting a lot of product on the walks with a good walk behind with the deflector shield and third hole shutoff you're doing it wrong.

Also.....a little leave behind on a walk or drive is a good thing. We called them Evidence Beans......the customer likes to see them actually. Little tip.

Also....blacktop driveways that have been sealcoated and are dark black suck....they show everything. A concrete drive doesn't.

I've come to realize that for every person that want local service, there's three more that want insulated and like National service......it's a psychological thing.....Most people don't want to know all about the guy that's servicing their lawn. They just want it green and weed free. Period.

:)

abrightday
04-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Yea,,until they see the results,,,Big companies just can't get the results or service an experienced small company can give. Everyone who has a large company near one of my lawns eventually end up calling. Take your time ,,do the job right,, treat people as you would want your property done and you can't help but do a much better job! False- green and others just can't compete!:laugh:

SeedPro
04-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Yea,,until they see the results,,,Big companies just can't get the results or service an experienced small company can give. Everyone who has a large company near one of my lawns eventually end up calling. Take your time ,,do the job right,, treat people as you would want your property done and you can't help but do a much better job! False- green and others just can't compete!:laugh:

That's why McDonalds and Burger King are so wildly popular. Because everyone want's to eat at Joes. Not everyone wants small local service and many have been burned by small local companies.

abrightday
04-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Yea,,what ever,, I'll still get their lawns!!:laugh:

TL1981
04-05-2010, 09:27 PM
That's why McDonalds and Burger King are so wildly popular. Because everyone want's to eat at Joes. Not everyone wants small local service and many have been burned by small local companies.

McDonalds isn't successful because they are a large franchise--they are successful because in todays world they are convenient. Period. I think we can all agree that 'Joes' would have a better burger hands down! Bad example.

To the OP good job on doing quality work. And don't take the advice of leaving prills on hard surfaces as a 'tip' that's some of the worse advice I've seen lately. :hammerhead:

We all know that's a TG favorite and has been practiced for a very long time. Leaving prills behind to show you have infact been there is stupid IMHO. It's also (in my state) not yet against the law... yet. It will be if ding dongs keep doing it though. I spoke with our state chemist a few weeks ago and they are making it a point to see if guys are blowing prills off of hard surfaces. He said if they don't then they will look very hard to find other ways to nail yhem...he added that if they look long and hard enough then they will find something-- you're just asking for trouble.

Victor
04-06-2010, 02:17 AM
Oh of course.....I agree, but if you are getting a lot of product on the walks with a good walk behind with the deflector shield and third hole shutoff you're doing it wrong.

Also.....a little leave behind on a walk or drive is a good thing. We called them Evidence Beans......the customer likes to see them actually. Little tip.

Also....blacktop driveways that have been sealcoated and are dark black suck....they show everything. A concrete drive doesn't.

I've come to realize that for every person that want local service, there's three more that want insulated and like National service......it's a psychological thing.....Most people don't want to know all about the guy that's servicing their lawn. They just want it green and weed free. Period.

Please tell me your comment regarding "Evidence Beans" was jocular in nature. I'll never take a thing you say seriously again if you really do believe that was sound advice.

Come on. You were just kidding, weren't ya? :)

grass4gas
04-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Here, in Delaware, the law states that you have to blow off all hard surfaces.

Young Bros
04-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Here, in Delaware, the law states that you have to blow off all hard surfaces.

I wish it was like that in iowa. We are about the only company that blows sidewalks in this area. We blow all granulars even ones without iron.

SeedPro
04-06-2010, 06:05 PM
McDonalds isn't successful because they are a large franchise--they are successful because in todays world they are convenient. Period. I think we can all agree that 'Joes' would have a better burger hands down! Bad example.

To the OP good job on doing quality work. And don't take the advice of leaving prills on hard surfaces as a 'tip' that's some of the worse advice I've seen lately. :hammerhead:

We all know that's a TG favorite and has been practiced for a very long time. Leaving prills behind to show you have infact been there is stupid IMHO. It's also (in my state) not yet against the law... yet. It will be if ding dongs keep doing it though. I spoke with our state chemist a few weeks ago and they are making it a point to see if guys are blowing prills off of hard surfaces. He said if they don't then they will look very hard to find other ways to nail yhem...he added that if they look long and hard enough then they will find something-- you're just asking for trouble.

The McDonalds reference was exactly my point and you proved it. They are more convenient, more accessible and cheaper than Joes, or your local lawn guy comparing him to TGCL. Sure the service is better at Joes....the burgers are too, but we live in a fast food world, and some people don't want to know the waitress by her first name, or to hear about the lawn guys kid with the constant ear infections.

I'm not saying leave the GD granules.....all over the GD place you F'ing hillbilly. But they like to see some evidence and a few near the porch or on
the edges is a good thing.

You can sleep with your state chemist (whatever that is) for all I care....and with your months of experience, I'm sure you get 9 jobs a day done and panic every time a "granule" is on a sidewalk.

Relax uncle fester.....FFS

SeedPro
04-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Please tell me your comment regarding "Evidence Beans" was jocular in nature. I'll never take a thing you say seriously again if you really do believe that was sound advice.

Come on. You were just kidding, weren't ya? :)

No. I'm not kidding. Sometimes for clients that don't even trust themselves, I leave a few granules visible near the porch on their walk.

:cool2:

Greenery
04-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Quick note at lunchtime guys..

Was putting down fert + pre at a resi home today, new one for me this season. Trugreen shows up to do house across the street - so I am like "this is good, lets compare service levels". Trugreen guy spreads fert same time I do, and finishes about the same time I do or a little faster, as the lawns are similar size. He is practically running on the lawn though, while I maintain a fast walk. Bag is labeled for 3MPH so I would have to think I was closer to the right speed. At any rate, he finishes, does his invoicing/records, drops them with flag, and off.

Oops Trugreen. I finish, BLOW THE PRILLS off hard surfaces with my powerblower, then do my records/invoicing, drop, and go. So, he leaves 10-15 minutes before I do. For them, time is money. For me, taking no time equals no money here in my small town. I'll err on the side of service.

DA, how come your not tearing it up on your PG? Put that push spreader away and get some laps in on the PG.

CHARLES CUE
04-06-2010, 10:18 PM
No. I'm not kidding. Sometimes for clients that don't even trust themselves, I leave a few granules visible near the porch on their walk.

I don't know i can still see some of the prills even after i blow off the drive and side walks they build up along the edge
Charles Cue

Greenery
04-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Do you guys experience burning along the edges, seems how you blow all the fert there not to mention the edges are right next to a huge heatsink.

tlg
04-07-2010, 12:06 AM
I can't tell you how many times over the years customers got mad because of fert on their walks or drive. Fert on a neighbors drive or walk has been a problem too. To remedy the problem we try to keep the prills off in the first place. We do blow off drives and walks when needed. Asphalt almost always requires a blow off as the prills really stand out. On the other hand as Seed Pro stated some customers have come to expect a few prills on their drive or walk. Nothing wrong with that either as it's near impossibile to KEEP EVERY PRILL OFF any way. Even after blowing hard surfaces off . For the sake of argument though there are two things that come to mind with this issue. 1. If the label says blow product off of hard surfaces it could be a label violation if you don't. Especially if a pesticide was applied. 2. Any fertilizer combination containing a pesticide or a stand alone pesticide applied to a drive or walk could be considered an off target application. Your target is the lawn. Not the street, sidewalk, lake, river or stream. If anybody thinks this is not a real issue you better get ready. It's only a matter of time before it's required by law. It may already be in some cases.

LawnoftheMonth
04-07-2010, 12:51 AM
I'm too OCD not to use a blower on the prills, lol. Several customers have thanked me for that, but most don't care.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-07-2010, 01:10 AM
DA, how come your not tearing it up on your PG? Put that push spreader away and get some laps in on the PG.

So far have done small lawns - silly to drag the PG around for lawns that take me 10 minutes with a push spreader. Why waste gas? I bought the PG primarily for its liquid capabilities anyway, though I will spread/spray on Rd2.
Don't worry it will get used.

Back to the thread...seems the prill on hard surfaces issue has struck a nerve.
SeedPro vs. everyone else. Hmmmm

SeedPro
04-07-2010, 03:03 PM
So far have done small lawns - silly to drag the PG around for lawns that take me 10 minutes with a push spreader. Why waste gas? I bought the PG primarily for its liquid capabilities anyway, though I will spread/spray on Rd2.
Don't worry it will get used.

Back to the thread...seems the prill on hard surfaces issue has struck a nerve.
SeedPro vs. everyone else. Hmmmm

lol

Don't make it sound like I leave "Granules" all over the place. I blow off the walks and drives if I get them on there and half the areas I work in have city regulations and rules that say it's a must as well.

But a few "granules" here or there isn't going to ruin any ones day, lake, or stream.

If you guys want to pick up every granule with a tweezers, that's fine. But I do 25-30 stops a day, and have tree and shrub care and seeding to do also, and don't have all day to dilly dally with such silly matters as a "few Granules"

When did you newbies start calling them "Prills" anyhow. Read it in a magazine or something?

Half of you don't even know what an sgn is anyhow. Call them granules ffs.

Young Bros
04-07-2010, 09:20 PM
lol

Don't make it sound like I leave "Granules" all over the place. I blow off the walks and drives if I get them on there and half the areas I work in have city regulations and rules that say it's a must as well.

But a few "granules" here or there isn't going to ruin any ones day, lake, or stream.

If you guys want to pick up every granule with a tweezers, that's fine. But I do 25-30 stops a day, and have tree and shrub care and seeding to do also, and don't have all day to dilly dally with such silly matters as a "few Granules"

When did you newbies start calling them "Prills" anyhow. Read it in a magazine or something?

Half of you don't even know what an sgn is anyhow. Call them granules ffs.

We have called granulars prills and been at it since 1998. We are running 200 sgn for round one.

SeedPro
04-07-2010, 10:12 PM
We have called granulars prills and been at it since 1998. We are running 200 sgn for round one.

Newbie.

rcreech
04-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Seed Pro,

Every time I read a post from you...you act like you are GOD!

Wake up!

Lawn care isn't as complicated as you want to make it!

Other then I do have an agronomy degree...and farmed my whole life, I have only been in the turf business for 5 years and pretty much have it totally figured out!

You need to quit giving yourself so much credit!

You make me want to puke reading your "full of yourself" posts!

SeedPro
04-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Seed Pro,

Wake up!

Other then I do have an agronomy degree...and farmed my whole life, I have only been in the turf business for 5 years and pretty much have it totally figured out!

Then put me on ignore.

I am confident, I will agree with you there. Not politically correct either. Got me on that one.

Is now a bad time to say I have forgotten more about turf care than you'll ever know, Mr. Green Jeans?

Sincerely,

Jesus.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-08-2010, 12:51 AM
Seed Pro,

Wake up!

I agree. SeedPro has little constructive info to add to threads but WILL tear you down at any chance.

SeedPro
04-08-2010, 08:03 AM
I agree. SeedPro has little constructive info to add to threads but WILL tear you down at any chance.

You guys just can't handle the truth and are trying to hard belong here. It's like a mutual admiration society, and all this genuflecting makes my pants baggy.

Grow up, and if you can't take a little truth or ribbing then that's your problem.

:rolleyes:

Grandview
04-08-2010, 08:10 AM
I do not think speed and service are mutually exclusive. When I was using a push spreader a 10K lawn was a 10-12 minute stop. That included blowing side walks and drives. Just because a bag of fertilizer says you should go 3 mph does not mean you can not walk 4-5 mph. Just open the spreader a little more to get the proper amount. I always tried to get 25 to 35 lawns/day done. If I see a competitor pull up, I always try to beat them. For me time is money also. The more lawns I get done the more I make.

SeedPro
04-08-2010, 08:34 AM
I do not think speed and service are mutually exclusive. When I was using a push spreader a 10K lawn was a 10-12 minute stop. That included blowing side walks and drives. Just because a bag of fertilizer says you should go 3 mph does not mean you can not walk 4-5 mph. Just open the spreader a little more to get the proper amount. I always tried to get 25 to 35 lawns/day done. If I see a competitor pull up, I always try to beat them. For me time is money also. The more lawns I get done the more I make.

Exactly. I get the impression a lot here think 7 jobs a day is a good day of Pro.

rcreech
04-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Is now a bad time to say I have forgotten more about turf care than you'll ever know, Mr. Green Jeans?

Sincerely,

Jesus.

:laugh:

That is a good one!

Seedpro...like it really matter is a guy calls fert" prills" or "granule"s.
Who cares.
You are so confident about what you say and you are going to nit pick and call a guy a newbie over that?

Yeah...you really know a lot! :)

Great job!

You are so smart!

americanlawn
04-08-2010, 09:40 PM
DITTO

Not sure which person you're trying to pick on, but I'd trust any of the above posters to treat 'my lawn' in a heartbeat. All are friends, and I have personally met most of them. Doesn't matter if a guy has one week or 35 years of experience. I trust a person who is honest and does quality work.

I don't care for your "teen chat room" criticism of my friends. Nothing personal -- just seeing it how is. Meanwhile, I'll keep spreading "prills".

BTW a "prill" is a small aggregate of material (most often a dry sphere). :walking:

That is a good one!

Who cares.
You are so confident about what you say and you are going to nit pick and call a guy a newbie over that?

Great job!

You are so smart!

rcreech
04-08-2010, 09:45 PM
DITTO

Not sure which person you're trying to pick on, but I'd trust any of the above posters to treat 'my lawn' in a heartbeat. All are friends, and I have personally met most of them. Doesn't matter if a guy has one week or 35 years of experience. I trust a person who is honest and does quality work.

I don't care for your "teen chat room" criticism of my friends. Nothing personal -- just seeing it how is. Meanwhile, I'll keep spreading "prills".

BTW a "prill" is a small aggregate of material (most often a dry sphere). :walking:

Larry,

You will have to check out the TG pricing thread!

This goofball (aka Seed Pro) that is making fun of everyone gives $200 for referrals. That is a freak'n bonehead move!

Can't tell if this guy is a joke or just a moron!

Long story short...he is a moron!

americanlawn
04-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Hi buddy -- been staying off the anti-TruGreen threads cuz our local TG seems to do quality work & I know several of them. They've always been kind to us, and we even buy ice melt from them. 2 years ago, many TG customers got a significant price increase here. Not sure how their residential prices are this year, but their prices regarding commercial properties here are super duper CHEAP. (spraying liquid urea & Barricade right now)

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out. :waving:

SeedPro
04-08-2010, 11:35 PM

That is a good one!

Who cares.

Great job!

You are so smart!

I know.

Thank you.

SeedPro
04-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Larry,

You will have to check out the TG pricing thread!

This goofball (aka Seed Pro) that is making fun of everyone gives $200 for referrals. That is a freak'n bonehead move!

Can't tell if this guy is a joke or just a moron!

Long story short...he is a moron!

Why do you have to lie to get your point across?

lol

I give UP to 200 dollars for a good referral.

Most of my referrals cost me less than 100 dollars.

You give 15 dollars and Larry gives five.

LOL

That's terribly insulting......

But maybe your clients are only worth 150 dollars too. My average client is worth 400 dollars.

TL1981
04-11-2010, 10:21 PM
The McDonalds reference was exactly my point and you proved it. They are more convenient, more accessible and cheaper than Joes, or your local lawn guy comparing him to TGCL. Sure the service is better at Joes....the burgers are too, but we live in a fast food world, and some people don't want to know the waitress by her first name, or to hear about the lawn guys kid with the constant ear infections.

I'm not saying leave the GD granules.....all over the GD place you F'ing hillbilly. But they like to see some evidence and a few near the porch or on
the edges is a good thing.

You can sleep with your state chemist (whatever that is) for all I care....and with your months of experience, I'm sure you get 9 jobs a day done and panic every time a "granule" is on a sidewalk.

Relax uncle fester.....FFS

Hey WeedPro read what you posted genius! You made no reference to McDonalds being more convenient. You said this:

Thankyou for the F'ing hillbilly remark, because I am and I would love to give you a hillbilly ass whippin' you panzy ass city boy! Just PM me for my address and let me know when you want to show up. :hammerhead: As for not knowing what a state chemist is, jee golly garsh, Ida figered all yall experienced pros with all yalls years and years of experience woulda known. Yeehaa!

Sounds like you have Daddy issues bud. I have met so many like you and you're all the same. Picked on in school or a blacksheep of some kind. Then, when you grow alllll up, and get big-n-tough you attack everyone you can because that's what makes you feel better inside. Awwwe. You poor little man. Go find a teen chat forum and try to impress them with all your Big-n-Tough-Smart-Guy typing... it might work on them ChoMo.

Why the hate for new people in the business? Did some "newbies" take some of your business? Wow, that's surprising because your people skills are soooo great AND your business ethic (refer to all above posts you made
with 'tips' and such) I can't imagine how you would lose a customer to anyone! :rolleyes: That's probably why you have to buy customers with your $200 referral program and Larry and Rodney don't dum ass.

Have a nice day.

Oh, and by the way, you will be on my ignore list as soon as I post this. I can't stand the thought of wasting anymore time reading another one of your pointless posts. C'ya city boy. :waving:

rcreech
04-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Why do you have to lie to get your point across?

But maybe your clients are only worth 150 dollars too. My average client is worth 400 dollars.

SeedPro,

Just seen this post and since you ask...the average of my lawns over all my clients is 31K. I have very few customer that spend LESS then $400 a year just due to the size of the lawns.

I run big lawns...and I am so thankful that my customers appreciate the $15 referral discount!

I have never had anybody complain yet...so I will continue to KEEP MY DOLLARS in my pocket and not give them away!