PDA

View Full Version : Economy? or too early?

grassguy123
04-05-2010, 05:04 PM
every year we use the same marketing for new lawn service customers:

Between April 15th and April 31 we walk through densely populated neighborhoods and give every house a hand-written quote on their front door for lawn service (pre-season discount price expiring in 7 days)

We do this to around 3000 houses and sign on at least 30 new customers.

This year we started much earlier: March 23-present. We have quoted much more than 3000 houses and have only 3 new customers.

So the only thing I can think of is, we started too early or the economy?

-What do you guys find your marketing to be most effective?
-Is your closing rate up or down this year?

Thanks

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-05-2010, 05:15 PM
The economy excuse has actually gotten stale.
Stay the course, you might get a late rush.

grassmasterswilson
04-05-2010, 05:36 PM
weather and grass growth is a huge factor. i send 4-5k oversized postcards out in feb. down here in NC. I've been getting steady calls ever since. We are just now getting going good on mowing. Plus haven't yall under water up there?

Richard Martin
04-05-2010, 05:53 PM
The economy excuse has actually gotten stale.
Stay the course, you might get a late rush.

It may be getting stale but it's not going away anytime soon. Real conditions continue to get worse in the real world. 407,000 people fell off of the U-3 unemployment figures simply because their benefits ran out. Bankruptcies are at a record since the rules were changed. Gallup has started doing their own unemployment calculations based on their own polling. They apparently didn't believe the govenment either. They're saying real under/un employed is over 20%. I believe Gallup. They are a well known and respected polling company.

I passed out almost 1,000 flyers with an all new format. I'm not willing to share the design here. But in response to poor results from a standard type of flyer I tried an all new design. Nothing. 3 calls and only 2 signups. That is about 1/2 of what we got with the old design back in the early 2000's.

lawnguyland
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
It does feel like a weak season so far, but it is still early too so do not lose hope yet! Once grass starts to grow and really need mowing people need us much more. I think a lot of people don't think about it as much as we do until it's obvious the yard needs work. They've got other things to worry about or want to wait until the last minute to save money. Could just be "the economy" too though.

topsites
04-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Bit of a trick to it, not sure what to tell you exact but lower your prices to
where you start closing a little more than half of all calls, again it's kind of hard
to explain exact.

On another note, just lowering them a little bit ought to do something.

lawnworker
04-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I think it is going to be a slow year for mowing. I for see a lot of individuals trying to mow for some cash who will drop out or flip their mowers over an embankment, while mowing hungover in the heat.Also, some people will hire salvation army workers for shrub trimming and other things and then they will wonder why they don't look as good, but at least they stuck it to the lawn man, and saved a little bit of cash in the process. Thank you bush and obama!!

prizeprop
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
around here,its a combination of people watching there money and an over saturation of lawn guys flyering very low prices.its a perfect storm to put a hurtin on guys charging prices to make money.

lawnsaspire
04-06-2010, 02:21 AM
I landed a new account today from a guy who I gave my flyer to two years ago. I actually remember talking to him. He kept my flyer all this time.
People hang on to your flyers. Just be patient. I handed out 1000 flyers so far and have only landed 3 new customers so far from the flyers the other was from a refferal and the above mentioned man. I personally think it was because I didn't knock on every door like the last two years.

BearWise Landscapers
04-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Try it again and see if you get better results. I like that marketing idea.

WHIPPLE5.7
04-06-2010, 11:36 AM
My calls are down but I its been cooler than years past as well. Our season can start as early as March 1 or as late as May 1, its wierd area for weather.

MOturkey
04-06-2010, 11:43 AM
We, so far, have not lost any accounts from last season, so am grateful for that. So far, we have only picked up two new accounts, both small ones, but one of those didn't call until yesterday. There are tons of new guys out there this year in this area. Just saw one drive by the house a minute ago that I had never seen before. Two riding mowers and a 21 stuffed into a 6 or 7 foot trailer and big magnetic signs on the sides of his truck.

One customer was given a $35 quote on their yard. I charge $50, and it really should be higher than that, but she is one of the first customers I got, and her husband had cancer, so I've kept it at $50. They stayed with me because of our relationship, which is one good thing about a lot of residentials.

The one that called last night was an old client. He quit in the middle of the season last year because some kids offered to mow for $20. I told him I just couldn't match that price. Guess that didn't work out. :)