PDA

View Full Version : What is the best home owner walk behind?

NJgunner
04-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Im looking for 36" or under walk behind for my house. Small piece, i am trying to find something decent used on craigslist but no luck. Ariens makes a 34" and Red Hawk a 36". I was told to stay away from Crap Cadets lol Doesnt anyone else make a good mower for homeowners? I dont need a 3k scag.

mhaley927
04-05-2010, 07:56 PM
I was just thinking about this today... every walk behind I can think of with a deck bigger than 20" or so seems to be "commercial". I know a guy who swears by his red hawk. You could also try an exmark metro or viking, their "middle of the road" walk behinds in the 30-50 inch range. Or, if you're looking for something smaller I have a john deer LA65 that I used at home, and now for some smaller areas when I'm out. It has held up beautifully and cuts very well. Good Luck with this thread, I'll have to check back later.

Richard Martin
04-05-2010, 09:08 PM
The Red hawk is a Chinese mower. I'd avoid it.

abcfamily
04-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Just scroll up about 8" and to the right about 4" and click on the word "better"

BINKY1902
04-05-2010, 11:51 PM
I love my bradley. I have the 48" hydro with 18hp honda gxv610. I left more info in your other post about it. I have not had a single problem as of yet and have put a pretty good number of hours on it. Has a pretty cut, and pulls me around on my sulky great. I use it everyday on my accounts. I heard bad things about it as well, but I can't complain a bit.

Richard Martin
04-06-2010, 05:27 AM
The Brady is a Chinese mower too. I'd avoid it.

EastCoast
04-06-2010, 07:13 AM
I purchased s new Scag SW 36 Advantage last year.... great mower... amazing cut... quality product... last mower you would ever need to purchase.
Posted via Mobile Device

KarlP
04-06-2010, 11:52 AM
The Brady is a Chinese mower too. I'd avoid it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147

gj91
04-06-2010, 12:10 PM
I just went though this. I found a good mower shop by me that had a few used Exmark 48 hydros and is an exmark dealer. It has 1000 hrs and in good shape. For what I will use it for it will probably last a long time. I was looking for a 36 but it seemed that there are a lot more 48's out there. I don't have a fence so a 36 wasn't a must.

Exmark does have a 26 commercial mower that looks nice. They had one where I bought my 48.

I did call around and found a new Wright WB 36 with hydro and floating deck for close to $4k but that was a bit much for me. I think this was just over invoice.

lotsagrass
04-06-2010, 12:10 PM
You can get a well made commercial U.S. made mower starting around $2000 with these folks. http://betteroutdoorproducts.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=MOW-13BIM-36

RDA
04-06-2010, 12:27 PM
I bought a used BOP Quick 36" Samurai late in the Fall (off of Craigslist) that I will be using on my lawn this year, I only got to try it out once in the Fall so I have very little experience with them personally but I have read and digested many comments about them. The biggest issue continually mentioned by some LCOs is that they feel it does not handle heavy wet grass very well and the deck gets clogged and or leaves clumps (although some feel this issue is overstated). Since I never mow in the rain or when it is particularly wet, I don't believe that will be an issue for me.

Overall it seems like a well built unit but I personally feel the paint/finish is less durable than it should be (I refinished the deck on mine and repaired a few minor items over the Winter). It definitely seems like a good value even if some consider it to be an "entry level commercial" unit.

Regards,

Rich

LarryF
04-06-2010, 12:36 PM
A couple or guys have suggested BOP. I have one and like it a lot. I'm near GSP exit 109. If you want to take a ride up and try it out, let me know.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Ditto on the BOP mowers. They are commercial units that would easily hold up to a homeowner's light use.

If you are a homeowner and have a very large lot or acreage to mow, these would work well. If you are just mowing 1/4 to 1/2 acre lawn once a week, you don't need a BOP its too much mower for that piddly use. I even feel funny bringing mine out on my 1/4 acre town lawn because its overkill - I would rather pull out my 21" Toro.

Richard Martin
04-06-2010, 02:50 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147

So are you trying to say? I will tell anybody and everybody anywhere I like that Bradley's are commie Chinese junk. Don't like it. Don't read my posts.

Yater
04-06-2010, 03:56 PM
The biggest issue continually mentioned by some LCOs is that they feel it does not handle heavy wet grass very well and the deck gets clogged and or leaves clumps (although some feel this issue is overstated). Since I never mow in the rain or when it is particularly wet, I don't believe that will be an issue for me.

Rich

The grass doesn't need to be "wet". The moisture is in the grass...and is exposed when you cut it.

RDA
04-06-2010, 04:13 PM
The grass doesn't need to be "wet". The moisture is in the grass...and is exposed when you cut it.

We will see how it goes this year, I have a pretty healthy and thick yard but I don't overdo the nitrogen and I cut 1/3 or less and grow my yard tall.

Regards,

Rich

msandman
04-06-2010, 04:18 PM
ferris 36 hydro cut. Great mower works really well for res, been using on for 3 years.

KarlP
04-06-2010, 04:26 PM
So are you trying to say? I will tell anybody and everybody anywhere I like that Bradley's are commie Chinese junk. Don't like it. Don't read my posts.

I was pointing out that there is a forum on here to express your views on protectionism, US trade policies, or Chinese labor policies. That forum is perhaps a more appropriate outlet for your political views rather than posting twice (now three times) in this thread about WB mowers. Don't like it? Don't read my posts. :p

Its hard to find real evaluations of the Bradley/Red Hawk mowers on this forum. It sure looks like most of the people calling them junk have never mowed with them and many have never even seen one in person. Posts like yours that are biased by geography instead of an evaluation of the product make the forum a less useful resource.

If you do have experience with them, please let us know what's bad about the MOWER. Poor cut? Poor tracking? Broken decks? Hydro failures? Endlessly backordered parts? Exploding gas tanks?

Richard Martin
04-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Its hard to find real evaluations of the Bradley/Red Hawk mowers on this forum. It sure looks like most of the people calling them junk have never mowed with them and many have never even seen one in person.

That's nice. They're Chinese junk and that's all I really need to know. :dizzy:

Aaronnc
04-06-2010, 05:34 PM
http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/grd/1672037951.html
http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/grd/1659622301.html
http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/grd/1650759183.html
http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/grd/1644977775.html
http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/grd/1643641346.html

http://stores.ebay.com/Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Supplier_Commercial-Belt-Drive-Mowers__W0QQ_fsubZ793021016QQ_sidZ32238676QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sutech-Stealth-33-walk-behind-mower-commercial-ztr_W0QQitemZ280450299218QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414c23f552

Yater
04-06-2010, 06:44 PM
If you do have experience with them, please let us know what's bad about the MOWER. Poor cut? Poor tracking? Broken decks? Hydro failures? Endlessly backordered parts? Exploding gas tanks?

Brittle plastic, piss-poor finish (on everything), NO parts/support, TERRIBLE welds, shady dealers, et cetera. Basically, they cut EVERY corner to sell you a cheap mower. Warranty? ....do you think China cares if you're unhappy with your purchase? This is a government-controlled entity (hence the "Communist" reference.) They don't care what you do/think....and international law doesn't apply. The dealership probably won't exist in 2 years anyway.

KarlP
04-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Brittle plastic, piss-poor finish (on everything), NO parts/support, TERRIBLE welds, shady dealers, et cetera. Basically, they cut EVERY corner to sell you a cheap mower. Warranty? ....do you think China cares if you're unhappy with your purchase? This is a government-controlled entity (hence the "Communist" reference.) They don't care what you do/think....and international law doesn't apply. The dealership probably won't exist in 2 years anyway.

Which parts of that are based on personal experience with the mowers and which parts are your assessment of Chinese tools in general?

Richard Martin
04-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Which parts of that are based on personal experience with the mowers and which parts are your assessment of Chinese tools in general?

Ol' Karl here is a homeowner. That's what he wrote in profile. Hey Karl, we have a forum for homeowners. You should stick to it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Yater
04-06-2010, 08:38 PM

Everything I said can be seen during a 5 minute visit to your local Chinese dealer. If you can't see all of the above, you're the sucker they're looking for...buy it.

RDA
04-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Ol' Karl here is a homeowner. That's what he wrote in profile. Hey Karl, we have a forum for homeowners. You should stick to it.

Good for Karl that he is a homeowner. Based on profiles, it doesn't appear Ol' Richard here even owns a home or has a business? Why don't you lighten up a bit Richard, Karl's posts are not unreasonable and I don't see anything in the bylaws of LawnSite that state you have to be an LCO to be a member or to post on this forum.

Regards,

Rich

Richard Martin
04-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Good for Karl that he is a homeowner. Based on profiles, it doesn't appear Ol' Richard here even owns a home or has a business? Why don't you lighten up a bit Richard, Karl's posts are not unreasonable and I don't see anything in the bylaws of LawnSite that state you have to be an LCO to be a member or to post on this forum.

Regards,

Rich

Tell Karl to lighten up. With the invasion of Chinese equipment we're just trying to save some American companies and jobs.

BTW, Richard owns his own home, full and complete, no mortgage. I've also been in business since 1994.

If you'd like to see proof go to this website and type AM Lawn Service into the name box. I moved from MD in 2006 and restarted here in NC. NC doesn't require a sole proprieter to register.

http://sdatcert3.resiusa.org/UCC-Charter/CharterSearch_f.aspx

nepatsfan
04-06-2010, 09:24 PM

The only problem I have with Richard Martins posts are that it goes without saying. Are you trying to make a case that chinese tools, mowers, steel is good. Chinese mowers/engines are pieces of crap. If someone is asking advice on what mowers to buy I believe it is relevant to say that chinese sh*t is sh*t.

BINKY1902
04-06-2010, 10:12 PM
The Bradley, the Redhawk, and the Dixon Walkabout are the exact same mower. The dixon is just sprayed with Blue Paint. This mower is assembled in the USA in Illinois. It's a good mower, ran mine for seven hours today...

KarlP
04-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Everything I said can be seen during a 5 minute visit to your local Chinese dealer. If you can't see all of the above, you're the sucker they're looking for...buy it.

I could see the welds are very ugly. Are they strong enough? I dunno. They sure used a lot of material to make them! The only cheap plastic I saw was the cowling on the Kohler engine and the gas tank cap. The paint seemed very good to me. I'm guessing you know nothing about my local dealer or the factory support. Hence the question.

The only problem I have with Richard Martins posts are that it goes without saying. Are you trying to make a case that chinese tools, mowers, steel is good. Chinese mowers/engines are pieces of crap. If someone is asking advice on what mowers to buy I believe it is relevant to say that chinese sh*t is sh*t.

The motor is a Kohler. The drives are Hydro-gear. The honest fact is I own a lot of Chinese tools - Stanley, Milwaukee, Dewalt, Craftsman, and Snap-On. People love to hate Harbor Freight tools. I have Harbor Freight log splitter with Briggs Intek and Haldex pump that is IMO far better than the other homeowner grade offerings and I saw no need for a $3k splitter to partially heat two houses. OTOH, I wouldn't dare use most HF hand tools.

The point is there are some Chinese products with no quality control at all and there are other Chinese products that are made to the same standards that the USA made stuff used to be made to at a far lower price point. A dual hydro WB for $2k that lasts only 600 hours/20 years is a better value for a homeowner than a $5k one that lasts for 3000 hours but you can't buy parts for in 40 years. Will one of these last to 600 hours?

nepatsfan
04-06-2010, 10:51 PM
I could see the welds are very ugly. Are they strong enough? I dunno. They sure used a lot of material to make them! The only cheap plastic I saw was the cowling on the Kohler engine and the gas tank cap. The paint seemed very good to me. I'm guessing you know nothing about my local dealer or the factory support. Hence the question.

The motor is a Kohler. The drives are Hydro-gear. The honest fact is I own a lot of Chinese tools - Stanley, Milwaukee, Dewalt, Craftsman, and Snap-On. People love to hate Harbor Freight tools. I have Harbor Freight log splitter with Briggs Intek and Haldex pump that is IMO far better than the other homeowner grade offerings and I saw no need for a $3k splitter to partially heat two houses. OTOH, I wouldn't dare use most HF hand tools.

The point is there are some Chinese products with no quality control at all and there are other Chinese products that are made to the same standards that the USA made stuff used to be made to at a far lower price point. A dual hydro WB for $2k that lasts only 600 hours/20 years is a better value for a homeowner than a $5k one that lasts for 3000 hours but you can't buy parts for in 40 years. Will one of these last to 600 hours?

I am not sure about all the companies mentioned being chinese made but my dewalts say mexico on them. I have tons of dewalt tools. As far as snap on I would buy matco they are still made in the us. The reason why they use such heavy guage steel is because the steel is junk, they have to go thicker. The steel they use is melted toyotas and recycled sh*t. I wasnt talking about particular engines on the redhawks. I was talking about chinese engines. they are pieces of crap. A lot of companies are subbing stuff to china and it is making the quality go way downhill. Snap on and dewalt and stanley are not chinese companies, any more than ford is a mexican company and chevy is canadian.

Aaronnc
04-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Good Lord, it seems some people around here need to get laid more often. And who cares if it's made in China? No one's pointing a Glock to your head and forcing you to buy it. Albeit not many, there are still a few 100% American Made companies around, and I'm sure you won't hurt their feelings if you buy from them. Greed notwithstanding, most companies are forced to outsource to China because that's what the MARKET dictates. As utterly pathetic as it sounds, I DO NOT want to pay $1000 for a trimmer/edger just so a fellow American can eat/send his kids to school. Then I wouldn't be able to eat and send MY kids to school.

Also your FELLOW AMERICAN shareholders of these companies complain and whine about their shares and/or dividends which force these companies to go offshore to keep their AMERICAN shareholders happy. We only have ourselves to blame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism Yeah, it's a bi$#%@ !!!

nepatsfan
04-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Good Lord, it seems some people around here need to get laid more often. And who cares if it's made in China? No one's pointing a Glock to your head and forcing you to buy it. Albeit not many, there are still a few 100% American Made companies around, and I'm sure you won't hurt their feelings if you buy from them. Greed notwithstanding, most companies are forced to outsource to China because that's what the MARKET dictates. As utterly pathetic as it sounds, I DO NOT want to pay $1000 for a trimmer/edger just so a fellow American can eat/send his kids to school. Then I wouldn't be able to eat and send MY kids to school.

Also your FELLOW AMERICAN shareholders of these companies complain and whine about their shares and/or dividends which force these companies to go offshore to keep their AMERICAN shareholders happy. We only have ourselves to blame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism Yeah, it's a bi$#%@ !!!

This is obviously over your head. We are not preaching buy American. We are saying that chinese stuff is sh*t. American, Japenese, swedish, german are all head and shoulders above the stuff that is made in china. It is not 1000 dollars for a trimmer made by japenese/german or whatever brand you use. You totally missed the point. buy chinese sh*t. you probably have ryobi trimmers and blowers. I think they are korean but I'm not sure. same idea though.

Aaronnc
04-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Over my head and totally missed the point? And I own Ryobi? Ouch. God you got me there. It must have taken you all of an hour to think that one up.

I thought it was assumed we all knew the majority of Chinese stuff was crap, and didn't call for a huge thread on it considering the question was What is the best home owner walk behind? . I guess that's what my superior thinking gets me. I'll bow down to your greatness and take my Ryobi and just leave. You probably weedeat in a Rolex and screw nothing but prom queens. Loser.

nepatsfan
04-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Over my head and totally missed the point? And I own Ryobi? Ouch. God you got me there. It must have taken you all of an hour to think that one up.

I thought it was assumed we all knew the majority of Chinese stuff was crap, and didn't call for a huge thread on it considering the question was What is the best home owner walk behind? . I guess that's what my superior thinking gets me. I'll bow down to your greatness and take my Ryobi and just leave. You probably weedeat in a Rolex and screw nothing but prom queens. Loser.

Exactly my point. Do you read? Haha....you go on about buying american. It wasnt even what we were talking about. You post a link about capitalism. Read the posts. You seriously must be real dumb. I said it goes without saying that chinese stuff is crap. I mean seriously....any thoughts on your own or do you just want to post links and repeat what other people say and call names?

nepatsfan
04-07-2010, 12:52 AM
:wall:wall:wallThe only problem I have with Richard Martins posts are that it goes without saying. Are you trying to make a case that chinese tools, mowers, steel is good. Chinese mowers/engines are pieces of crap. If someone is asking advice on what mowers to buy I believe it is relevant to say that chinese sh*t is sh*t.

Here it is genius. Tell us more about how capitalism works though if you would. :wall:wall:wall

Aaronnc
04-07-2010, 02:17 AM
I am in absolute awe of your blinding awareness. I truly am not worthy. All I wanted to state was why, not only the Chinese make junk but 75% of America does too and for what reasons in my opinion. I am truly 100% guilty of getting trolled by people who want to state their political vendettas and argue in a simple lawncare forum. But I digress.

But since most people want to declare/debate national origins of said junk, and not help answer NJgunners original question, I'm gonna crap my pants and go out on a limb and state that I like the Honda HRX217K2HMA. A little pricey for a homeowner model, and a tad thirsty, but IMHO the finest cut on this side of Pinehurst.

Ok. Back to you nepatsfan. What do you want to talk about now in relation to the original question? The price of Emu dung in Qingdao? Chinese Chok Soy? Lead paint in your little pea shooter? Crop Circles stealing your accounts? :laugh:

nepatsfan
04-07-2010, 07:39 AM
I am in absolute awe of your blinding awareness. I truly am not worthy. All I wanted to state was why, not only the Chinese make junk but 75% of America does too and for what reasons in my opinion. I am truly 100% guilty of getting trolled by people who want to state their political vendettas and argue in a simple lawncare forum. But I digress.

But since most people want to declare/debate national origins of said junk, and not help answer NJgunners original question, I'm gonna crap my pants and go out on a limb and state that I like the Honda HRX217K2HMA. A little pricey for a homeowner model, and a tad thirsty, but IMHO the finest cut on this side of Pinehurst.

Ok. Back to you nepatsfan. What do you want to talk about now in relation to the original question? The price of Emu dung in Qingdao? Chinese Chok Soy? Lead paint in your little pea shooter? Crop Circles stealing your accounts? :laugh:

What would you like to talk about? Capitalism or feeding your kids and sending them to school. We were talking about how we felt that maybe a different mower other than a chinese mower might be better for the guy. So who is off topic? Prom queens and getting laid? What is it you would like to talk about?

JCLawn and more
04-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Well Aaronnc, you came on spewing your political on this forum where it does not belong. There is a reason why lows and what not has cheaper trimmers, is because they are supposed to last 50hrs and sthil, echo and all those more expensive trimmers (non American brands) are made to last 300hrs. That is the reason. A new walk behind is expensive no matter how you look at it. Shoot you can go buy a mtd mower for like $1000 now, that's insane.

Yater
04-07-2010, 09:37 AM

I like this guy.

frotis
04-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Toro 40" Hydro for around $3400 is a great deal. You can find some authorised dealers online selling them for that. My local dealers want $5500 for the same machine!

Pic I found online of one:

http://i.ebayimg.com/05/!BotU1!!BGk~$(KGrHqUH-CUEuOkD5jMEBLoh1)HoTQ~~_3.JPG