PDA

View Full Version : dodge 2500

dura to the max
04-05-2010, 08:25 PM
i have a 2006 2500 with the 5.9l diesel. to shift from 1st to 2nd i have to let off the accelerator then slowly press it to get into 2nd gear. on flat ground the problem is hardly noticeable, on hills though it seems more present. im wondering if anyone can give me any type of insight, its been doing this for a year, w/ no sign of a real transmission problem. im wondering if maybe the shift points got changed when the superchip was added (im not the 1st owner, and didnt install the programmer). also, the truck only has 96k on it.

also, any sites that might have better info on this?

Moto52
04-05-2010, 08:58 PM
i have a 2006 2500 with the 5.9l diesel. to shift from 1st to 2nd i have to let off the accelerator then slowly press it to get into 2nd gear. on flat ground the problem is hardly noticeable, on hills though it seems more present. im wondering if anyone can give me any type of insight, its been doing this for a year, w/ no sign of a real transmission problem. im wondering if maybe the shift points got changed when the superchip was added (im not the 1st owner, and didnt install the programmer). also, the truck only has 96k on it.

also, any sites that might have better info on this?

Does it not still have factory warranty? take the programmer off and take it back to the dealer. my buddys 05 was doing the same thing but worse then yours something with the bands in the tranny were shot they did a full rebuild.

dura to the max
04-05-2010, 09:44 PM
3 year 36k mile warranty...

dura to the max
04-05-2010, 09:50 PM
it almost seems that the tranny is not the problem... any advice on a fuel injector cleaner that actually WORKS?

Moto52
04-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Thats just bumper to bumper isn't it? and powertrain 100k??

Gravel Rat
04-05-2010, 09:57 PM
There are all kinds of fuel additive with Howes being one and a lot of people use Power Service.

Have the dealer scan the computer to see what has been done to the truck.

J&R Landscaping
04-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Cumminsforum.com can help you out!

Evan528
04-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Seems that alot of people on cumminsforum.com had a similar problem...... If im not mistaking its a bad sensor on the tranny that causes this problem..... cheap fix.

topsites
04-05-2010, 11:30 PM
I assume it's an automatic, mine did it for a bit...

You have to get up underneath the truck, and back up under there where
the transmission is exists a linkage with a steel rod (I think it's steel, could be
hard plastic too) and anyhow this rod moves through an assembly allowing
the transmission to shift.

Matter of fact it's a steel rod moving through a black plastic thing.

WHEN that rod / assembly becomes caked up with crud it sticks, and you have the problem.
I simply sprayed mine with plenty of some kind of cleaner (don't remember, carb cleaner or something)
and lubed it lightly with Wd-40 or liquid wrench or something....
Anyhow, sprayed it good and clean and lube.

Might have used a rag / compressed air as well, it's been a bit.
But you have to take care of it, the problem WILL get worse in time.

I believe, if I remember correctly, that the thing is connected somehow to the throttle cable,
I can't remember exactly as it's been a few years but I would look for something that moves
in response to throttle pressure, that should help you locate it.
Mine was on the driver's side of the transmission, again if I recall correctly.

Haven't had a problem since, if you absolutely can't find it let me know and I'll see about taking a picture.

WH401
04-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Sounds like the governor pressure sensor/transducer and solenoid. When those two things start acting up it can screw up the 1-2 shift. It's a pretty simple fix though. Go read this thread (http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/trans-shift-problems-t266727.html).

Donald A
04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
A good source for information:
http://dieseltruckresource.com/

dura to the max
04-06-2010, 09:19 PM
thanks for the link WH401, looking into it now...

and topsites, i'm gonna check into what you said once i get to the station in the morning

TXNSLighting
04-06-2010, 10:45 PM
uh when did you get a dodge??

WH401
04-07-2010, 07:55 AM
thanks for the link WH401, looking into it now...

and topsites, i'm gonna check into what you said once i get to the station in the morning

Anytime.

You shouldn't need to worry about any linkage. The 05 Dodge w/ the 5.9 has an electronic throttle, no shift cables or linkage to adjust.

dura to the max
04-07-2010, 09:09 PM
uh when did you get a dodge??

about 2 months ago, 06, 5.9, CCSB charcoal int/ext 4x4

TXNSLighting
04-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Very nice..

Junior M
04-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Sounds like the governor pressure sensor/transducer and solenoid. When those two things start acting up it can screw up the 1-2 shift. It's a pretty simple fix though. Go read this thread (http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/trans-shift-problems-t266727.html).

thats exactly whats wrong with mine and it throws the check engine light.

WH401
04-08-2010, 08:38 PM
thats exactly whats wrong with mine and it throws the check engine light.

It's more like a code light than a check engine light. When that light pops on, you've got a code that needs to be read. To figure out what the code is, and what the code means, go here (http://forums.dieselpowermag.com/70/6679324/cummins/dodge-cummins-trouble-code-listing/index.html). That should help.

Junior M
04-08-2010, 10:33 PM
It's more like a code light than a check engine light. When that light pops on, you've got a code that needs to be read. To figure out what the code is, and what the code means, go here (http://forums.dieselpowermag.com/70/6679324/cummins/dodge-cummins-trouble-code-listing/index.html). That should help.
I know it throws a code, thats why the check engine light comes on. I've put the Snap on scanner at work on it and it reads something 37. Which means govenor pressure sensor.

dura to the max
04-10-2010, 06:35 PM
update, changed governor pressure solenoid, transducer, trans filter, and trans speed sensor today=nothing. mine never threw a code though???

dura to the max
04-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I assume it's an automatic, mine did it for a bit...

You have to get up underneath the truck, and back up under there where
the transmission is exists a linkage with a steel rod (I think it's steel, could be
hard plastic too) and anyhow this rod moves through an assembly allowing
the transmission to shift.

Matter of fact it's a steel rod moving through a black plastic thing.

WHEN that rod / assembly becomes caked up with crud it sticks, and you have the problem.
I simply sprayed mine with plenty of some kind of cleaner (don't remember, carb cleaner or something)
and lubed it lightly with Wd-40 or liquid wrench or something....
Anyhow, sprayed it good and clean and lube.

Might have used a rag / compressed air as well, it's been a bit.
But you have to take care of it, the problem WILL get worse in time.

I believe, if I remember correctly, that the thing is connected somehow to the throttle cable,
I can't remember exactly as it's been a few years but I would look for something that moves
in response to throttle pressure, that should help you locate it.
Mine was on the driver's side of the transmission, again if I recall correctly.

Haven't had a problem since, if you absolutely can't find it let me know and I'll see about taking a picture.

mine is an 06 4x4 model, its all electric, not mechanical... and i didnt see anything closely resembling what you said...

dura to the max
04-10-2010, 09:40 PM
getting some other ideas, will know tomorrow

dura to the max
04-10-2010, 09:47 PM
***will try and fix tomorrow

dura to the max
04-10-2010, 10:00 PM
that site i was sent to had a guy tell me to adjust the front band

Junior M
04-10-2010, 10:44 PM
that site i was sent to had a guy tell me to adjust the front band
thats honestly what it sounds like because second gear is a band..

Plus mine was slipping in second, so i adjusted the band and overadjusted it so it was doing just what your truck is doing.

I'd plan on a rebuild in the near future tho.

dura to the max
04-14-2010, 09:41 PM
adjusted the front band today and she drove like a dream! band is adjusted to its max though, will have to be replaced next time around... guess thats another procedure i'll have to learn