PDA

View Full Version : Pg Ultra help

Greenery
04-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Hey guys,
I'm having some trouble with the spray system on my ultra. I replaced all the plumbing with the same size that it replaced. I also replaced most wiring and connections and I threw a new pump in there. After priming the system I was barely getting anything out of it even less on the right side. so I checked the batt voltage and it was at 6 volts. I then went on to check the output after the regulator and it was 11.55 volts with the engine at 3600 rpm.

So i'm kinda thinking the battery is toast, so I wired it up to a spare truck battery thats putting out 12 volts and it seemed to work better but the right side is barely putting out anything. I then took off the tips and measured output for one minute and I got 49 ounces on the left side and 19 ounces on the right side.

Any suggestions as to why i'm getting such low output on the right?

Also any reccomendations on a better battery for this thing?

jbturf
04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
i fabbed a small bracket, and put a small motorcycle batt where the
orignalbatt was- worked pretty good, just carefull when tipping machine
for service or cleaning

check your nozzle screens and in tank screens,
if thats good, try swapping the pressure caps on
the left and right nozzles- any difference

Greenery
04-05-2010, 09:32 PM
i fabbed a small bracket, and put a small motorcycle batt where the
orignalbatt was- worked pretty good, just carefull when tipping machine
for service or cleaning

check your nozzle screens and in tank screens,
if thats good, try swapping the pressure caps on
the left and right nozzles- any difference

Thanks for the tips,
Seems how my output is only low on one side i'm thinking I may have bent or creased one of the plastic nipples when I changed the line i'm gonna check those tomorrow.

shovelracer
04-05-2010, 09:38 PM
That is a normal sign that your pump is toast. What is the pumps flow. If it is not up around 100+ that is your problem.

LushGreenLawn
04-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Mine always does that after my battery goes bad, or the pump gets weak. Are you sure the pump is rated for the same PSI and flow rate?

There is a 10lb pressure cap on top of your tank, and an 8lb on each nozzle. If there is not enough pressure, one nozzle will open up, but not leave enough pressure for the other to fully open up.

Be sure to check the 10lb pressure cap also. I agree with switching pressure caps on the nozzles as well to see what happens,

Also, sounds too simple, but you never know, make sure your valves are all the way open, and your not sending liquid to all four nozzles.

RigglePLC
04-05-2010, 09:43 PM
To charge a 12 volt battery you need 14.5 volts coming out of your engine charging system. (Same voltage as in your truck if you want to compare). So you may need a new voltage regulator, (I hope so because...).You need to check the output as AC voltage before the voltage regulator (which also changes your current to DC with a rectifier). You should be getting something like 20 to 29 volts AC from the red wire on the left side of the motor, before the regulator, at 3600 rpm. If your charging wire is not putting our enough voltage, then you may need a new flywheel. The magnets that power the charging wire sometimes come unglued from inside the flywheel. Glue 'em back or get a new one. I did this three time before I got it right.

On the other hand--a new bigger battery might be all you need. Ignore your old truck battery--a fully charged battery should read 12.8 volts, sometimes a little more. Test the pump again. Home Depot has a lawn tractor battery with 145 CCA for only $19.95, about 20 times the capacity of the original. Build a braket and install--just recharge every couple of days. Hope this helps.

The new pump has an output of 1 gal per minute, right. Check this with a full charged truck battery. Also check the flow from the most convenient spot--the valve at the lower left of the tank. As I recall it should be about 20 ounces in 15 seconds. Also check the return flow to the tank--should be almost zero if the pressure regulator is working right.

Greenery
04-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Shovelracer, I just put a brand new pump in from PG so it should be the correct one.
What exactly do I check on the 10 pressure cap?

Riggle, This thing also happens to have a brand new briggs on it so i'm thinking the voltage coming out of the motor should be good, although I have not verified that. So my voltage regulator needs to put out 14.5? Mine was 11.5 or so. If that's the case my battery could be just fine it's just not getting enough to charge it.

Greenery
04-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Okay so I went and switched the pressure caps and the low output followed the preesure cap. Does it need to be replaced or can it be fixed or cleaned?

Also I checked the flow from the valve on the lower left of the tank and I got just under a gallon in 1 minute.

jbturf
04-05-2010, 10:23 PM
order up 3 new caps,
2 for your nozzles and 1 for the pressure reg.
PG has i think a 15 lb cap as an upgrad for the regulator,
just be sure to recalibrate, it may slighty increase your spray rate
g/l

RigglePLC
04-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Good going Greenery. So glad you can get almost a gallon per minute at the left valve. Sure, start by checking the flow with no nozzles or caps in place. Then try cleaning up the diaphragms and springs inside the pressure cap. Lube and check for dirt and free movement. The rubber diaphragms often go bad from ester products. They cost like 10 for a dollar. Try TSC store. Check the voltage on the charging wire that comes out on the left side--it unplugs easily from the voltage regulator.(AC voltage.) Clean up or redo the connection if corrosion is heavy. Check the voltage at any convenient place--like the hot wire on the handlebar switch. Ideally your hot wire should read 14.5 volts at 3600 rpm. It ideally should read about 12.8 volts with motor off, if it is fully charged. (Likewise on your truck). Below 12.5 volts is considered a low-battery condition.

Greenery
04-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the help guys
Posted via Mobile Device

Greenery
04-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Argh I know its the busy season but so far my experience with calling pg to get parts is a joke voicemail everytime left a message this morning and no response. Anyone know a place to get parts for pg's in the metro area of MN besides JDL seems how they dont stock any parts. I'm starting to regret this purchase.
Posted via Mobile Device

jasontimm
04-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Argh I know its the busy season but so far my experience with calling pg to get parts is a joke voicemail everytime left a message this morning and no response. Anyone know a place to get parts for pg's in the metro area of MN besides JDL seems how they dont stock any parts. I'm starting to regret this purchase.
Posted via Mobile Device

I found you have to keep calling until someone answers you, i hate leaving messages. good luck

Greenery
04-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks, i did finally get through and they were very helpful.
Posted via Mobile Device

GravelyGuy
04-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Calling Permagreen is a joke. There seems to be 1 parts guy, 1 tech guy, and 1 operator that does nothing more than direct you to one of their voicemails.

Greenery
04-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Hey guys I got the beast working pretty well now. I upgraded every wire on it to 12 guage and threw a AGM motorcycle battery in there fastened with some nice big zip straps, bypassed the voltage regulator, replaced the three rubber deelio's in the caps and switched the 10 psi cap with a 20 psi cap. It sprays much better now.

Now that i'm familiar with it a little more I realized even though it looked like it was in good condition when I bought it the reality was that it was in piss poor condition. Oh well you live and learn. It was supposedly in ready to go condition. I've also replaced and adjusted many other things not related to the spray system.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

jasontimm
04-11-2010, 01:32 PM
A guy should almost have a parts warehouse in his garage for the PGs, i bought my ultra this year as a stepping stone to a z or t, after using it a few days i wished i would have jumped over the stone and done it right...these machines are cruide at best....but it will have to work for now.

RigglePLC
04-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Permagreen suggests bypassing the voltage regulator. Don't bypass the voltage regulator--it is there for a purpose--to prevent anything in excess of 14.5 volts from reaching (and frying) the battery. Would you bypass the voltage regulator in your truck? (Probably does not have one as they are built into the alternator now days.)

Greenery
04-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Permagreen suggests bypassing the voltage regulator. Don't bypass the voltage regulator--it is there for a purpose--to prevent anything in excess of 14.5 volts from reaching (and frying) the battery. Would you bypass the voltage regulator in your truck? (Probably does not have one as they are built into the alternator now days.)

Yes permagreen did suggest bypassing the voltage regulator. The only problem I have with it hooked up is that it does not put out enough voltage to keep the battery charged. I have checked the voltage repeatedly with it bypassed (for the reason you stated) and the highest voltage i'm seeing with it at 3600 rpms is about 13.5. Sooo I bypassed it hoping for the best, maybe I should try a new one.

Has anyone ran theirs for any amount of time with it bypassed and experienced problems?

jasontimm
04-11-2010, 05:54 PM
When i bought mine the battery was bypassed and removed.