PDA

View Full Version : Grass seed washed away?

jwscarab
04-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Ok, I am not looking for perfection but I just spent several hours yesterday tilling slightly, seeding ky 31, fertilizing and covering with straw probably about 1000 sq ft - some on slopes. Well today - an unexpected MAJOR downpour.

So whats my best bet? I dont want perfection, just 75% satisfaction on these spots filling in. Its my own 10 acre rural lot, not a small manicured lot. I am patching large spots in that needed it years ago.

Can I just reseed over the straw and it will fall thru the straw??

Thanks!!!

ajslands
04-05-2010, 09:10 PM
You must not have tilled enough!
Posted via Mobile Device

jwscarab
04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Well, I am not even sure it washed away, I am just assuming it has?? Just didnt know if my best insurance is to add a quick seeding on top. It may be ok, but it was a HARD FAST rain.

topsites
04-05-2010, 09:20 PM
This is just one of the reasons why I highly recommend core aeration and seeding
be done together, I also don't believe in tilling up a yard to be seeded nor do I believe
in that straw garbage but...

I've had a few requests for it over the years :p

Way I do it, after the seed is down I go over the entire tilled part with a
landscaper's rake and get all the seed raked into the soil a bit...

It's a special rake, with one of these it doesn't take long at all,
now I'm having difficulty trying to explain it so it looks like this:

billslawn89
04-05-2010, 09:31 PM
the seed needs to be covered with soil to germanate, like topsites said with the rake...just can't throw in on top........ pull back the straw and see if the seed is still there, but make sure the seed is COVERED up.....

jwscarab
04-05-2010, 10:05 PM
OK, I realize after the fact I should have covered up for better results. I have to admit I have seeded this whole property that way - seed, fertilize, straw - w/o covering, and 90+% of the 10 acres grew just fine. I am not arguing I did it wrong - I realize this now.

Good point - I will check the areas tomorrow for seed when I get home and its daylight!!

But as its my own rural yard, has anybody overseeded thru the straw and had any luck - even if its just somewhat beneficial??

FYS777
04-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Ok, I am not looking for perfection but I just spent several hours yesterday tilling slightly, seeding ky 31, fertilizing and covering with straw probably about 1000 sq ft - some on slopes. Well today - an unexpected MAJOR downpour.

So whats my best bet? I dont want perfection, just 75% satisfaction on these spots filling in. Its my own 10 acre rural lot, not a small manicured lot. I am patching large spots in that needed it years ago.

Can I just reseed over the straw and it will fall thru the straw??

Thanks!!!

could i ask , what did you slightly till with? was there some grass roots still left in these area's?

raptor1bravo
04-06-2010, 01:17 AM
Same thing happened to me when I seeded my lawn. Everything was graded and the weather report said showers that night. I raked my A** off and seeded into the night. I spread straw out in the dark and then it started to rain...and rain...and rain! After that it rained harder! Then it really came down!
Needless to say I had great grass in the ditch!
Lesson learned!

Steve

topsites
04-06-2010, 03:12 AM
But as its my own rural yard, has anybody overseeded thru the straw and had any luck - even if its just somewhat beneficial??

I hate to answer this question because I don't like throwing down hundreds of
pounds of seed the wrong way and then try and decide whether or not I made
a mistake... The simple of it thou has been covered, I guess?

Now I have never used straw, hate it, if for no other reason than it has to be
cleaned up later, it does not decompose in time thou every person who reseeds
their yard has a different method and I'm not here to argue over this, either.

Man...
There exists a proper way of doing things, and then there's our way LOL

That having been said, I've seeded and aerated over top of a bunch of leaves
and grass that I realized I had to cut the very next day!
And it still turned out all right.

And I've also done everything just so perfect, and nothing happened.

To me it's a little like cooking, some is just plain dumb luck.

You might be all right, it might be a total wash, who knows?

Here is why, to develop a nice lawn?
I aerate and seed EVERY fall, that's over top of some fertilizer and lime.

Then it all depends how much seed you used, as a rule I like to say 50 pounds per 1/4 acre.
But more than anything, put it on a maintenance program and you'll do fine.

jwscarab
04-06-2010, 08:02 AM
I used a rear tine tiller, set about 2" and only ran across the spots one pass trying not to get it toooo fine.

I appreciate all the input! I think I will just spread some more seed and cross my fingers this time. Another $20 isnt going to kill me, but if I get no grass I will wish I had done it!

I do like doing things correctly, but I didnt know any better and I didnt do my research on this project first! I have alyways heard seed, straw, but thats from homeowners like me who dont know any better. Next time I will do it right!!! I have the home on the market and want some spots filled in to look better!

Thanks all!!!

lawnworker
04-06-2010, 08:19 AM
If you look real close at a small section of soil that you pull up with a small gardeners spade maybe even use a magnifying glass, you can tell if it washed away. I would do that and probably through some down on top.