PDA

View Full Version : First Walkbehind

smassengill
04-05-2010, 10:35 PM
My Deere Z-Track is being serviced so I had to borrow my buddy's cub cadet walk-behind today. I have only used little push mowers and ZTR's before, never a walk-behind. I HATED IT. I couldn't get used to maneuvering it around obstacles and making short passes with all of the turning gets to be incredibly annoying. I don't see myself ever buying one.

NJgunner
04-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Interesting, im considering a walk behind for my piece. I have a 21" thats manuverable. I was looking at red hawks and ariens..I was told if they are not 'dual drive' u have to muscle them. I have never used one either.

smassengill
04-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Yeah it was a real pain for me. I couldn't imagine using one full-time. Also, this one had the pistol grips and I feel the T-Bar design would be much easier.
Posted via Mobile Device

Basilhayden
04-06-2010, 12:01 AM
yeah, this is my first year part time and I have done about ten yards so far with my belt drive scag and I already hate it. I am putting away every dollar that I can so I can get something else as soon as possible. It is a 36" so I guess I will keep it for backyards with gates. I hope I don't develop carpal tunnel before I can upgrade.

smassengill
04-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Haha feathering the drive throttle while turning will definetly cause some hand pains.
Posted via Mobile Device

John_DeereGreen
04-06-2010, 02:37 PM
I will NEVER operate, or have my operators, use another MMZ for anything under 2 acres.

Once you or your operators learn how to use wide area walks, you'll never go back.

There's SO much more control with a wide area walk, they will always be in my fleet.

And before anyone says anything, we've got Cub Cadet Commercial hydro's...

Richard Martin
04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
You'll get used to them. This was the same mower as the monstrocity that I learned on. Ferris built the first hydrowalk and then produced them for Woods, which is what you see here. Same mower, diffferent color. You really had to muscle this around. Belts drives are a breeze compared to this, which was one of the first hydro walkbehinds ever.

BearWise Landscapers
04-06-2010, 04:03 PM
You really had to muscle this around.

That one looks like you would have to 'muscle it around'. How many hours did you put on it?

93Chevy
04-06-2010, 04:52 PM
I love walk behinds. Very maneuverable, great cut, good for resi yards. Every mower has its place, that's for sure, but I love my 48" walk behinds.

Richard Martin
04-06-2010, 04:55 PM
That one looks like you would have to 'muscle it around'. How many hours did you put on it?

It was my primary mower for a couple of years and then I only used it for gated areas. I don't know how may hours I put on it but it was easily in the hundreds.

smassengill
04-06-2010, 10:31 PM
I just don't get the maneuverability...especially a 48"

Mowing around a house with the one I had was such a PITA

93Chevy
04-06-2010, 10:35 PM
I guess if you don't use one a lot...but I can get WB's in more places than I can get a Z. I can hold a WB 1/2" away from fences going 6 mph, I can mow around clusters of single trees without skipping a beat. I'm not trying to boast by any means, most everybody else on here can operate one better than me, but I just can't operate a rider as good as a walk behind.

smassengill
04-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I guess ya got a point...I gotta get used to one

Still love my Z, can't wait till I get it back. Hopefully this week.

93Chevy
04-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I wasn't trying to be critical or anything...but it's hard to switch machines when you've been running a particular one for so long. It is nice to sit down, and Z's are usually a lot faster in most areas.

smassengill
04-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Hey man it's all good. I had always thought that one would be useful to have on hand as a back up or whatever and wanted to see if I was the only one with a bad first impression