PDA

View Full Version : Neglect lawn

solblanca23
04-05-2010, 11:03 PM
I just Bought my first home and I'm trying to get the lawn in shape it looks bad. and there are a lot of roots, how do i reseed and fix the exposed roots problem. Thanks. :confused:

solblanca23
04-06-2010, 05:47 PM
I really need some help!

mark123
04-06-2010, 06:06 PM
I'd move. :p

Joking aside. Hiring a local pro is probably better than taking direction from a perfect stranger online which is why I am editing this post.

mark123
04-06-2010, 06:19 PM
I should ask though if you just want it to look acceptable (a little better) or do you want a lush, thick lawn to cause the neighbors envy?

poncho62
04-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Those surface roots can be cut off......or covered with dirt if you prefer, depends on the grade. Trim the rest up, seed and ot will look 10x better in a couple of weeks....Go from there

Runner
04-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Do NOT cut those surface roots! lol Very bad advice!
We need to know two things...First, where are you? Second, I would like some shots of the yard with all the trees - so we can see the size and the driplines of them. If you can tell us what kind of trees they are that we can't see, that would be helpful, as well. I see that one pile...is that leaves, or is that mulch from where a stump was ground out? This is certainly better off to be a complete reno, but don't let that scare you...it's not as bad as it sounds. we can walk you right through it. I've done this before with a few other home owners on this site, and they ended up with beautiful lawns. :)

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
04-07-2010, 01:09 AM
yeah cut the roots to kill the tree..lol

Runner
04-07-2010, 04:53 AM
It won't necessarily kill the tree, but it is DEFINITELY detrimental to the stability of the tree.

cgaengineer
04-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Do NOT cut those surface roots! lol Very bad advice!
We need to know two things...First, where are you? Second, I would like some shots of the yard with all the trees - so we can see the size and the driplines of them. If you can tell us what kind of trees they are that we can't see, that would be helpful, as well. I see that one pile...is that leaves, or is that mulch from where a stump was ground out? This is certainly better off to be a complete reno, but don't let that scare you...it's not as bad as it sounds. we can walk you right through it. I've done this before with a few other home owners on this site, and they ended up with beautiful lawns. :)

Good advice runner. You may not know it sol, but you cannot grow grass under trees very well due to the shade and the tree soaking up most of the ground water. I would advise to incorporate some flower beds around some or all of your trees and leave the surface roots as they are. You also want to limit the amount of fill you apply over the roots as this can also kill the tree. Sometimes grass is not the answer to bare ground.

GrassStitcher
04-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Those surface roots are only going to compete with the lawn more and more every year. If you are not willing to remove the tree, then mulch as much as possible around the base (or alternative ground cover) and reseed all other areas. Spreading topsoil will do no good, those roots will just find there way to the surface again. Use a Grass Stitcher www.grassstitcher.com, keep it handy because you will need it often, those roots will continually beat up the lawn.

solblanca23
04-07-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm in allentown pa and i have some more pic. I don't know what kind of tree it is so maybe you guys can help. I'm really green with this kind of stuff. (pardon the pun)

Runner
04-07-2010, 01:29 PM
You'll never keep grass growing in that yard with all those trees - no way. Do you want a nice lawn? It all depends on what you want to do. I know I am seeing old trees that have been hacked on, have run the course of most of their life, are growing in to power lines, and are cut so disproportionate that they will never be aesthetically complimenting to your home or property. (Look across the street in pic 2 and I see a much cleaner looking yard). You can go about this in one of two ways. You can spend money hours of work in planting new grass that will come up for a short time and guaranteed inevitably to have to be redone again, or...you can save yourself money and ALOT of time, frustration and water by doing it right the first time, and taking the old trees out and starting fresh. It is a nice home...do you plan on staying there? If you do, this is the route I would take. I see a nice lawn there with perhaps a magnolia and a Bradford Pear or ornamental cherry tree in the front. Even a small maple would work, but a variety that doesn't get too large. When I first mentioned renovation, this is not what I was referring to...I was meaning renovation of the turf area itself...but you just have a whole front yard that is old looking, overgrown, and not even practical to do. Look at it this way, though. It is not a cost... it is an investment. This work will last for not years, but decades, will enhance the appearance of your property significantly, will be pleasing to the neighbors around you, and yes...will enhance your property value, as well. This is not to mention create less damage to the property in the future; referring to the heaving walk out front, the highly potential root problem in your sewer line (if not existing already), and the scrub brush that is tearing up the side of your house on the b side - holding moisture against it, as well.
That just looks like too nice of a house for all that.