PDA

View Full Version : Mid-range blowers

cinquefoil
04-05-2010, 10:36 PM
I am looking at a few midrange blowers, Redmax EBZ5100, Stihl BR 380 D, Husqvarna 150 BT and the Echo PB 500T. I would perhaps consider the Kawasaki KRB 650, but the only dealer in my area is quite small and hasn't been around too long. I know most here use the larger blowers but I would appreciate any input or suggestions on models in this range. It would be used for the usual spring/summer stuff plus for leaves in the fall. It is not for business use. Thanks.

kemco
04-05-2010, 10:57 PM
I have a Husqvarna 150BT that I keep at my home for my own personal use - I bring it as a backup on a rare occasion one of our 3 commercial blowers is in the shop. For the price (round $325 with tax) this is a great machine. One of our commercial blowers is either the Kawi KRB 650 (I actually think it is the KRB 700) and it has been a great machine. Tax and all I picked it up for under $500 which is a lot less than I spent on either of my other 2 commercial blowers. IMO the extra power from the Kawi is worth the extra $ even if it is for your own personal use if you have a good number of leaves to do in the fall at your home... the power is significantly greater

cinquefoil
04-06-2010, 01:45 PM
I am leaning toward the Remax 5100 or Echo PB 500. Both are carried by a large dealer in my area. The Echo has a 5 year consumer warranty. I'd have to buy the Husky at Lowes and I prefer to buy from a servicing dealer. I also like the Kawasaki, but the two dealers withing reasonable distance haven't be in business very long and aren't large scale power equipment dealers.

Do any of you have any experience with any of these blowers? Thanks for the help.

mowerbrad
04-06-2010, 02:44 PM
I've had a stihl BR340 for 6 or 7 years and no problems yet. I also have a BR600 now so the br340 is only brought along during clean-ups incase I need a back up during the day. Th 340 has been a great blower, not the biggest but it gets the job done. The only time I didn't care for it's "smaller" power is when there were heavy/wet leaves on the ground, but you'll have that problem with any of the mid-range blowers you're looking at.

cinquefoil
04-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the reply. I checked out the Stihl 380, and the tube movement is stiff and awkward compared to the 550 and 600. I liked the 600 the best, but I don't want to spend that much right now. I know I'm probably not going to get much info here on the models I am considering as most here are pros and have different needs than I do. But I keep hoping someone will chime in with some experience with some of these models. Again, thanks for your input.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
04-06-2010, 03:21 PM
We run 3 Huskqvarna 150bts and there great, they are a commercial blower, same thing as the RedMax EBZ5100-RH, just different engine covers.

cinquefoil
04-06-2010, 03:33 PM
We run 3 Huskqvarna 150bts and there great, they are a commercial blower, same thing as the RedMax EBZ5100-RH, just different engine covers.

Thanks for the info. I have a local dealer with Redmax so I could buy it from him for the same price as the Husky from Lowes. The dealer doesn't carry any blowers with the rh throttle control because he said doesn't want the potential for problems with the throttle cable. I haven't heard this before, what do you guys think?

lawnkingforever
04-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Get the 150BT, you won't be dissapointed. For 300$, it is the best deal out there for a BP blower. I know it sucks to buy something like this at Lowes, but in this case I would, if it were the only option. I have had mine for a couple years now with no issues.

cinquefoil
04-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Get the 150BT, you won't be dissapointed. For 300$, it is the best deal out there for a BP blower. I know it sucks to buy something like this at Lowes, but in this case I would, if it were the only option. I have had mine for a couple years now with no issues.

I can get the Redmax 5100 at a dealer for the same price. If they are the same machine, I think I'd buy it at the dealer.

Rivertrail
04-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I've bought two 150 bts from Lowes, one year on the first one and six months on the second one. No complaints.

cinquefoil
04-07-2010, 01:34 AM
Now I'm wondering about the hip throttle versus tube throttle. The main dealer in my area doesn't stock any tube throttles except the Stihl's since that is the only way they come. Everything else is hip throttle. It seems to me that it would be more natural to use a trigger throttle since that is used on chain saws, string trimmers and handhelds among other tools. I've never had a pack blower, so I have no experience with this piece of equipment but just thinking about it, the trigger control would seem to be a natural fit.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
04-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Tube mount is the only way to go IMO. Also, I have never had a throttle cable issue on any bp blower.

Alan0354
04-07-2010, 03:03 AM
Someone posted he bought a Kawasaki KRB750 for $379 from Russell ??? yesterday, look for that post. that is a very good price for a much bigger blower. Other than that, yes the 150Bt is a very very good one for the money. Get it because they change to 350Bt and I don't trust new models, they always change for the CARB, not for the better!!!!

cinquefoil
04-07-2010, 01:45 PM
None of the Redmax dealers here carry any tube mount throttles. One dealer told me it was because of problems, another said the distributor doesn't carry them. Now I am torn on which way to go. I either by a Redmax hip throttle from a dealer or the Husky tube throttle from Lowes and take my chances if I need warranty service.

chrono903
04-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I have a kawi kbr 300 I got on cl for 1 c note and I love it
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
04-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Stop by the post office and get a change of address package there is a 10% off total from lowes.

cinquefoil
04-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Stop by the post office and get a change of address package there is a 10% off total from lowes.

Thanks for the heads up. I can use it for something even if I don't buy a blower there. I'd still like to know why the Redmax dealers here don't have the tube throttle models.

Lbilawncare
04-08-2010, 01:27 AM
I have a RedMax 5000 series blower. It has sufficient power, is light, and is really quiet in comparison. Ours is the tube throttle. I demoed a left hand throttle and it was ok, but besides running full throttle doing leaves I don't see the benefit. I'm sure your dealer can order you a tube throttle.

Grass Shark
04-08-2010, 02:42 AM
I use all redmax products except for two blowers which are 150BT's (same as EBZ5000 series) I bought the huskys instead of 5000's from my dealer beacuse lowes has a protection plan for $40 for three years. You walk in with a broken blower hand it to them in the ORIGINAL box with reciept of warranty and purchase and they tell you to grab another off the shelf, so when the spark plug goes in 2 years you get a new blower... lol

cinquefoil
04-08-2010, 03:13 PM
I asked my local dealer if he would order me a 5100 with tube throttle, he did some checking and told me he can't even order one as the distributor doesn't carry them! It's listed in the Redmax catalog, but not in his disrtibutors. So I go with the hip throttle from a dealer or buy it at Lowes. My only fear is if it requires warranty work or service, the local dealers will put me on the back burner because it was bought at Lowes. It's no secret that most of the dealers hate Lowes and Home Depot.
Do the hip throttles suck that bad?

unkownfl
04-08-2010, 03:17 PM
How much more is the redmax vs the husqvarna?

cinquefoil
04-08-2010, 03:34 PM
How much more is the redmax vs the husqvarna?

Same price. My dealer has the Redmax for 299.99 which seems like a good price.

cinquefoil
04-08-2010, 11:17 PM
I went to Lowes tonight to look at the Husky 150 BT and they were out of stock. I'll try another store tomorrow. I'm annoying myself deciding on which throttle control to get.

Alan0354
04-09-2010, 02:56 AM
I went to Lowes tonight to look at the Husky 150 BT and they were out of stock. I'll try another store tomorrow. I'm annoying myself deciding on which throttle control to get.

Yes, hurry get the 150Bt before they are totally out. Husky already replace it with 350Bt. New is almost always bad for 2 cycles.

cinquefoil
04-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Yes, hurry get the 150Bt before they are totally out. Husky already replace it with 350Bt. New is almost always bad for 2 cycles.

I won't be surprised if that's it for the 150. The next shipment could be the new model. I suppose that will be the end of the line for the Redmax 5100 too since they are basically the same model? Maybe that has something to do with the good pricing? How important do you think the tube throttle is?

cinquefoil
04-10-2010, 01:33 AM
I went to another Lowes tonight and they are out of stock too. I looked at the Echo PB 500 at Home Depot too and they only carry it with the hip throttle.

Alan0354
04-10-2010, 03:15 AM
You got to have another Lowes around. I can easily get to 3 Lowes in my area.

cinquefoil
04-10-2010, 08:36 AM
You got to have another Lowes around. I can easily get to 3 Lowes in my area.

I've been to the 2 of the closest ones. I'm going to check online and see if any of the others show them in stock.