PDA

View Full Version : Aereation and dethatching.(misspelled)

TurnerLawnCare
04-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Ok, explain to me the purpose and process of these two things to me please. I'm trying to study up some and figured yall would know some about it.

ajslands
04-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Thatching: pulls the dead grass out of the lawn, makes it look nice and green but puts lots of stress on the grass. If you have to do this be sure to charge $$ and maybe even $$$.

Aerating: let's the yard breathe. usualy done at beginning o the lawn season and the end. The mahines do the best job, the tow behind ones or ones that go In frontof a ztr are alright but aren't good for huge lawns. Also some people believe that those thongs that have spikes and are on a wheel that you put water in is aerating. They're wrong! That's poking holes in the ground, aerating pulls the dirt out and it looks like geese have craped all over your yard
Posted via Mobile Device

lukemelo216
04-06-2010, 12:55 AM
both are a process of reducing thatch in one way or another........

I have two different services for dethatching 1 being dethatching, and the second being power raking. Some will call them the same others wont.

Power Raking is basically just a very good raking of the lawn (still using a dethatcher but just not having the tines very deep) it takes off a little of the dead grass and thatch. I usually do it with my spring cleanup because it brings the matted grass up and really greens things up quick. plus if you have snowmold, it helps to get rid of that.

Dethatch: Is the process of removing all of the thatch layer from the grass. It is very stressful on the lawn so i try not to do it. Basically it allows more nutrients, sunlight and water to reach the soil level.

aeration: puts 2-3 inch holes in the soil. This will help to reduce the compaction of the soil, reduce the thatch layer, and allow more nutrients, water, and light to reach the roots. You need your grass to be health both at the root level and the blade level, so doing this is great.

A lot of people will over seed and starter fertilize after aeration. If you keep up on a good program you really shouldnt ever have to dethatch unless its a new customer who hasnt had his lawn aerated or power raked in like 4 or 5 years.

What i try and do is power rake in the spring and then aerate in the fall. I will usually then broadcast seed and fertilize the lawn after words and it looks great.

lukemelo216
04-06-2010, 01:13 AM
and make sure you charge correctly for each on, aeration should be the cheapest, powering raking the middle and dethatch the most expensive, dethatching can take quite a long time if on a yard (big or small with a lot of that) and dethatching is not putting a jrco dethatcher on the front of you ztr and going, thats called raking, not even power raking. To do either of those two correctly you need to use a dedicated machine for that. That will give you the best results.

FYS777
04-06-2010, 01:17 AM
here is a couple links.
http://www.american-lawns.com/lawns/step-by-step-dethatching.html

and;
http://www.american-lawns.com/lawns/aeration.html
there is more on this site.
by region;

http://www.american-lawns.com/states.html